Mystery of the Chrysler Mariner (solved)

But insurance wasn't mandatory IIRC. Just have to drive real carefully. :D

Nice to have GOOD friendz in the Corp. Back then too. The 1st CDI that I wanted and had a shot at waz ah Screamin' Zonker Yellow 440 6Pk. '71 Charger that waz my buddyz lease car that year. After checking the insurance ratez on that puppy I passed on it. The insurance on that Beast equalled the car payments for 3 yearz and remember this waz in November of that year, Whimper Whimper. I waited 'til '72 and picked up anh 'B-350 maxi of the old Lynch road recycle lease lot. I passed on his '78 Little Red Express ah few yearz later too for the same reason az the '71

The Lynch Road lot offered some great deals on C bodies and other big block cars during the "gas shortage" years as everyone panicked and downsized. A brother picked-up the neighbor's co. car when he turned it in. A loaded 73 2dr Grand Coupe Plymouth with every option but sunroof for around $2k.
Around the same time my couzins bought a low mile Plum Crazy 71 Charger R/T for $1800!

1973-chrysler-newport-mariner.jpg

Here is another photo that I found on the Curbside Classics website:
1973-chrysler-newport-mariner-interior.jpg

Here is a comment about it, providing an update:

Lee N. Burns
Posted April 10, 2017 at 8:54 AM

FYI, the Newport (Mariner) was a one-off show car, not a production model. When show duties were complete, it was sold through the normal Chrysler process, the Lynch Road Marshaling Center. An employee (who was into sailboats) left work early to put a deposit on the car. He still owned it as of 2015 or so. Note the sailboat themed bumper stickers, big trailer hitch and Iacocca-era employee pride sticker. The car was one of three special C-bodies from each division… Almost like 70s SEMA cars. The Plymouth was called “Aspen” and was a ski-themed 4drhtp Fury (white with a big blue snowflake on the 1/4). Pictures can be found on the net. The Aztec-themed Dodge was never shown in public… But it exists. I own it, and the resto will be documented.

472695.jpg

Back