Mystery of the Chrysler Mariner (solved)

Of all the B.S. Mail, Email, phone calls, texts, etc, that we receive every day....

Wouldn't it be great to be able to do something useful like contacting this guy with info about how cool and helpful FCBO would be to the owner of a super rare C-Body if the car is still on 4 wheels.

Yup. Growing up in the Motor City area in the 60s was great. The sub we lived in was full of auto execs from the big three. Most had new company cars every year. Couple of big time Chrysler stylists that brought home show cars. I got my license in 70 and cruised Woodward with a few of the muscle cars dad brought home. Get caught racing one of those cars and you get kicked out of the co. car program. Woodward by then was mostly cruising for chicks for eight miles. 11 mile to Square Lake and back. We cruised in anything from a Road Runner, Duster, New Yorker, Colony Park wagon to Coupe deVille. Like American Graffiti x 1000.
I spent a lot of time cruising the "Lynch Road Lot" when i finally had dough to pick up a deal on a co. car turn-in. That lot kept the cleanest low miles cars for employees family to purchase. Most were loaded cars. Dads cars were often "tagged" before he turned them in. They were usually well optioned and very clean. I think i paid $2,300 for a 75 Dart Sport. A loaded slant six car with enough options it needed two window stickers.
Boy, this thread brought back memories!

Of all the cars, you picked a /6 Dart? :realcrazy:

Yeah, i know.
But being in college and with the gas situation at the time it served it's purpose.
A slant with ac and auto. There isn't a car made today that isn't faster.

Yup. Growing up in the Motor City area in the 60s was great. The sub we lived in was full of auto execs from the big three. Most had new company cars every year. Couple of big time Chrysler stylists that brought home show cars. I got my license in 70 and cruised Woodward with a few of the muscle cars dad brought home. Get caught racing one of those cars and you get kicked out of the co. car program. Woodward by then was mostly cruising for chicks for eight miles. 11 mile to Square Lake and back. We cruised in anything from a Road Runner, Duster, New Yorker, Colony Park wagon to Coupe deVille. Like American Graffiti x 1000.
I spent a lot of time cruising the "Lynch Road Lot" when i finally had dough to pick up a deal on a co. car turn-in. That lot kept the cleanest low miles cars for employees family to purchase. Most were loaded cars. Dads cars were often "tagged" before he turned them in. They were usually well optioned and very clean. I think i paid $2,300 for a 75 Dart Sport. A loaded slant six car with enough options it needed two window stickers.
Boy, this thread brought back memories!

That is really interesting. do you have any pictures of the cars or the cruise circuit or really anything from this time? Would make a great thread and I'd love to read more

Nah, as a kid I wasn't hanging around the east side boat launches. I do however remember going with my dad to lynch road to pick up his new product evaluation vehicles a few times but that was already in the early '80s.

Was your Dad a writer for one of the car mags or something? Seems like I recall something about him working for Chrysler.

That is really interesting. do you have any pictures of the cars or the cruise circuit or really anything from this time? Would make a great thread and I'd love to read more

Nothing from Woodward. Just pics of some of our company cars.
See Garage called "When They Were New".

Maybe Matt have some vintage pictures from his Dad.

Matt calling Matt....

We cruised in anything from a Road Runner, Duster, New Yorker, Colony Park wagon to Coupe deVille. Like American Graffiti x 1000.

Colony Park, THAT brings back some memories. i had a '72, 429-2v, C-6 deep-pan with 9" rear. Brown with woodgrain trim. Fully functional 3-way tailgate. Looked like a giant turd. Guy from one of our local salvage yards got it from an estate sale, delivered a transmission to the shop i was working at. i talked him out of it on the spot, paid him all the cash i had in my wallet.... $132. Drove that car for 4 years, including hauling 8 people down to Woodstock '94 for the 25th anniversary.

Sorry. i think of that car every year around this time, one of my best Halloweens EVER was in that car. i put on a suit originally owned by my great-grand-dad, put some dirt piles here and there on the hood and roof, put curtains in the windows... even had the traditional Mercury driver's door-squeak. Just getting gas on the WAY to the party i scairt the life out of the poor girl having a smoke outside the store...

Now, back to your regularly scheduled Mopar remeniscences...

Never even knew the Mariner existed until this thread. Very interesting indeed. Anyone have any pics/info on the '73 Plymouth Aspen? Or how many were produced? Are there any left yet? Can't seem to find anything on it.

I "VERY" vaguely remember seeing something about this car when it was new. Likely the only information out there on it would be a press kit. Maybe an article or two in the magazines of the day (Motor Trend, Car & Driver, Motor Life etc.). Check with the automotive history collection of the Detroit Public Library or even Chrysler Historical itself.

In spring '66 one of the neighborhood dads brought home a Turbine car. His kid was senior in high school and took it for spin around the sub showing it off. His dad got a call at work first thing monday morning. Apparently the kid was doing neutral slams and brake torqueing the thing trying to spin the tires. Right in front of another Chrysler execs house. Dough!!!
Dad happened to have an early Charger home the same weekend. The 383 4spd made for a fun ride!

Wow!

To live in Detroit in 60's and 70's and seeing new Mopar cars out on the road!

In spring '66 one of the neighborhood dads brought home a Turbine car. His kid was senior in high school and took it for spin around the sub showing it off. His dad got a call at work first thing monday morning. Apparently the kid was doing neutral slams and brake torqueing the thing trying to spin the tires. Right in front of another Chrysler execs house. Dough!!!
Dad happened to have an early Charger home the same weekend. The 383 4spd made for a fun ride!

That had to be an amazing time and I'd say you were lucky to be the son of an exec that got the opportunity to bring those cars home

Nice to have GOOD friendz in the Corp. Back then too. The 1st CDI that I wanted and had a shot at waz ah Screamin' Zonker Yellow 440 6Pk. '71 Charger that waz my buddyz lease car that year. After checking the insurance ratez on that puppy I passed on it. The insurance on that Beast equalled the car payments for 3 yearz and remember this waz in November of that year, Whimper Whimper. I waited 'til '72 and picked up anh 'B-350 maxi of the old Lynch road recycle lease lot. I passed on his '78 Little Red Express ah few yearz later too for the same reason az the '71

Back