Need help with my fury.

67bearfury

Reaction score
I turned 19 a week ago and bought myself a 67 fury two door hardtop the day before. So now im seeking some knowledge and help.

I was wondering what the cheapest way to convert my brakes would be? Ive got manual drums (11 inch) all the way around. My father says I could take the brakes from an 80s dodge and swap them. Any thoughts or ideas? Thank you!

38846462_2612350802124374_7553882012260499456_n.jpg

I turned 19 a week ago and bought myself a 67 fury two door hardtop the day before. So now im seeking some knowledge and help.

I was wondering what the cheapest way to convert my brakes would be? Ive got manual drums (11 inch) all the way around. My father says I could take the brakes from an 80s dodge and swap them. Any thoughts or ideas? Thank you!

View attachment 205874
Don't go "cheap" go good! They might save your life!

If you are determined to to a disc brake conversion, your best bet is to find a set of spindles, calipers and rotors from a 68-71 C-Body. You will also need a dual diaphragm Bendix booster and master cylinder from a 68-71 C-Body. You will want to have the used calipers and the brake booster rebuilt. The 67 Fury did not have a brake portioning valve and one of those should be installed as part of the conversion to rebalance the brake system. If you currently have manual drum brakes, the pedal and the mount point for the manual unit are different than the ones used with power disc brakes, so you will also need the mount plate and pedal assembly. The front brake hoses are also different, so you will need a pair of ones for the '68-71 disc brake system as well. This conversion takes a lot of work, and I would not suggest doing it unless you are familiar with brake systems.

Another option would be to buy and aftermarket disc conversion from one of the several companies that make them. See www.magnumforce.com among others. (Google disc brake conversion '67 Fury). The conversions are spendy and usually start in the $800 range.

The 11" drum brakes if properly maintained are adequate to stop your '67 Fury. A more economical option, especially if this is a 318cid car would be to rebuild the brake system and convert it to power drum brakes. That way you would just need to find the drum brake booster, mount plate, pedal assembly and master cylinder. All of this stuff, once located will bolt in easily. The booster and master cylinder are still available from any good parts house, the pedal and mount plate are a wrecking yard item.

Dave

Yeah, get the proper replacement parts for the car, drum brakes will stop the car just fine, unless you're running some 600HP engine. I'd just rebuild the brakes and make sure they are adjusted correctly

Get the brakes presently on the car totally rebuilt with quality stuff and 100% up to snuff and you'll be more than fine.
In fact, they may be better than a hacked disc brake conversion.

The 11" drum brakes if properly maintained are adequate to stop your '67 Fury.

Yeah, get the proper replacement parts for the car, drum brakes will stop the car just fine, unless you're running some 600HP engine. I'd just rebuild the brakes and make sure they are adjusted correctly

Get the brakes presently on the car totally rebuilt with quality stuff and 100% up to snuff and you'll be more than fine.
In fact, they may be better than a hacked disc brake conversion.

^Your answer^

Great looking formal roof Fury III. I still have the drum set up on my 68 Fury III and they perform just fine. I always inspect and maintain them as needed. They stop straight with a high, hard pedal, even driving through the hilly terrain that is south western Pennsylvania. On a few occasions when going down a grade to slow down I'll drop down to 2nd gear to avoid getting the brakes too hot. I was lucky enough to find some older Chrysler riveted brake shoes a few years ago and they work great. They have a softer material and the rivets help dissipate the heat. You just have to remember you can't expect these cars to handle and stop like a lighter, late model car with 4 wheel disc brakes with ABS. I believe if you thoroughly go over your entire brake system and drive accordingly the drum set up will serve you just fine. By the way, I bought my Fury when I was 20 years old, in 1982! Have fun.
P_20180718_210346_LL.jpg

I agree with the others stay with your drums and use premium parts when you rebuild them you’ll be fine. Your not pulling a trailer and your not oval track racing, if you are you need a different vehicle. Nice ride enjoy it.

I have a 65 Sport Fury. Screwed with the drum brakes for years and finally bit the bullet and put in disc! Best thing I ever did. Difference in stopping is like brakes vs. opening the door and dragging your foot!

I have a 65 Sport Fury. Screwed with the drum brakes for years and finally bit the bullet and put in disc! Best thing I ever did. Difference in stopping is like brakes vs. opening the door and dragging your foot!
I'm not disputing your discs advantages, just that drum brakes can stop very efficiently and effectively. Proper parts and being in spec is key, but work great when set up correctly. (I will be putting discs on my Dart, so I'm not against them at all!)

Back