Hey guys, got a question about rear brakes on 68 fury

snizzer

Reaction score
So im dealing with a 68 sport fury convertible. On the rear brakes the car has 11x2" drum/shoe size. Been finding that not only are new drums nearly impossible to find, so are the shoes. My question is about the backing plates. Anyone know if they are the same backing plates as the heavy duty 11×2.5? Can i just put all 11x2.5 stuff onto those backing plates? Thanks for any input

NO --- they are NOT the same backing plates..... Some people do an " upgrade " to the 11 " x 2 1 / 2 " Rear Brakes, but keep in mind.....

Your car is equipped with 11 " x 2 3/4 " Fronts and 11 " x 2 " Rears.....
Cars that have 11 " x 2 1/2 " Rear Brakes
Are equipped with 11 " x 3 " Fronts and 11 " x 2 1/2 " Rears......

To do that " upgrade " , you must procure 11 " x 2 1/2 " Backing Plates....

If you " upgrade " the Rears without doing anything to the Fronts, you will " have too much Rear compared to the Front " .......

Sometimes, the old line / adage applies : " If it ain't broke , don't fix it " .......

Here is the Great News :!!! : I have *** N.O.S. *** U.S.A. made *** Rear 11 " x 2 " Brake Drums & *** N.O.S. *** Asbestos *** 11 " x 2 " Rear Brake Shoes ---
For Nice, Soft, Smooooooth braking and not ripping up Brake Drums to smithereens!!!!

Hallelujah, your Prayers are answered!!!!

P.M. me , as per forum rules, if interested....Craig.....

You have to realize that Chrysler sized their brake systems to the car's weight, use, and engine size. The "ultimate" C-body brakes went under the HD Trailer Package cars and police cars, which were 11x3 all the way around. Each shoe width had its own backing plate to allow for the different brake shoe width. Of course, they all bolted to the same 8.75" ring gear axle housings and front spindles, so "salvage yard hunting" of wider rear brakes is operative.

Back