Need Real Pics Steering Linkage (idler and gear arms)

C-440-300

Reaction score
Good day, All,
Got new tires; tire store can't align my '66 300 because their super-fandango-laser attachments won't work with the fender overhang; took to classic car alignment shop (Glenn's Alignment & Brake Service in Costa Mesa, CA is almost a mini car show!) and they found the center link not parallel to the ground; suggested wrong idler arm...

Sure enough, I look underneath, and the end closest to the ground of the idler arm is lower by at least an inch, compared to the gear arm's distance to the floor. ['Might explain some other issues...] I haven't been to any store (Most are saying 'special order'.) to do a comparison.

Is this normal? I'm still getting used to the car and want to use as daily driver.

So, I'm looking for any pics of underneath to see the proper alignment of any/all steering parts. I have the PDF of the FSM from MyMopar.com, but it's a breakout diagram...

More importantly, I'm looking for any comments! Even the ornery ones. :icon_razz:

Thanks!

Last edited:
You should state the year of your car. I assume it has a 440 engine. In the A-body world, the steering linkage totally changed ~1973, with the idler arm & gear attachments to the center link coming from the opposite side. Also, V-8 and Slant Six'es had different center links. I don't know about C-bodies.

The '66 300 would be a 383 base engine and a 440 as an option.

I think I can be of some help this time. The pictures are of a '68 300.

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0452.JPG

IMG_0453.JPG

Thanks, has2bmopar! Pics a thousand words! The was very kind of you to go out and take the pictures!

Bad news: Mine is wrong. :-(
Good news: Weekendo projecto! :)

Best regards to you, both.

has2bmopar,
Did my checks on the bottom and found out that mid-year '68 Cs had a modification with a different bushing on the end bracket, and that explains why mine looks different than yours. My '66 has a bracket that's by design, slightly lower than Cs from mid-68 on... Yours looks so smooth and clean looking.
Now, I'm wondering if the shop put in the wrong bushing... The raised lettering on the arm is the right part (7135-F; same as Moog and Raybestos and Ingralls). FYI and have a great weekend!

Checking back on this thread. I added a photo of a steering linkage, but my edit apparently got lost. Anyway, the photo was from another post on the same day as the original post, with a good photo of the steering linkage with the engine out. Forgot the year, but I recall 65 or 66. Search for it. If you still need, I can take photos of my 65 Newport.

I think you are right, Mobileparts. I'm checking more pics... I wouldn't be surprised if something "happened" to the car to make it that way. Thank you for your info.

Checking back on this thread. I added a photo of a steering linkage, but my edit apparently got lost. Anyway, the photo was from another post on the same day as the original post, with a good photo of the steering linkage with the engine out. Forgot the year, but I recall 65 or 66. Search for it. If you still need, I can take photos of my 65 Newport.
Thankyou, Bill. I took it all off and found it to be a bent arm. Best regards.

Back