New 65 Newport Wagon

It's a nice free car...but it's going to take a huge pile of money to get this wagon turned around.

Unless they call you deep pockets...................................Run Forest, run...

If you have a welder and a sand blaster, you can probably fix all the rust. I agree that the floor pans aren't a big deal. People replace them routinely. I used to use a wire wheel, but a sand blaster is quicker. Maybe use a putty knife and wire to get the big stuff off. First thing is to remove the rusted floors by drilling out the spot welds. I think then you can see the inside of the frame rails to judge. Try poking a screwdriver thru all structural metal. In California we don't have to deal with that. My 65 Newport was pristine when I bought it in 1991 in SoCal, with not even a spot of rust inside the rear bumpers. It didn't even get much from sitting outside in Atlanta for 6 years before returning to its home state.

Start shopping for a new windshield. They should be cheap and available since many rusted out cars around, but C bodies are rare. Remove the spark plugs, fill with oil, and try turning the engine over by hand from the crank bolt. If it is seized, it isn't worth much. If it works, it is worth several hundred alone since A-body guys use them for drag cars. However, I think yours has a different crank with a smaller hole for the torque converter.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply and encouraging words Bill, As you stated, one of my initial plans is to remove plugs and fill with oil if i can find some time away from work and if the motor is good take it from there. I know the previous owner and he said it ran when he parked it, but that was 15 years ago, oil from dipstick still looks brand new so thats a small plus. some may think it would be crazy to dump a load of money into this pile of metal but as I have read around this site its not about the money. It would just be way cool to see this on the road again even better if it was totally restored. I grew up in the seventies and while the hot rods and muscle cars were awesome, I think the long roofs are just as cool!!!

some may think it would be crazy to dump a load of money into this pile of metal but as I have read around this site its not about the money. It would just be way cool to see this on the road again even better if it was totally restored. I grew up in the seventies and while the hot rods and muscle cars were awesome, I think the long roofs are just as cool!!!

As long as you know what your in for EVERYONE here will support you.
Thats alotta work, go for it.

I'd fix it and drive it! Seen waaaaay worse around here get fixed. Can't beat the price, too!

Good luck!

I did this to my `68 RR using doner parts and it didn't even cost me that much...at least no where near as much as AMD replacement metal!

IMG_2845_1.jpg

IMG_2873_1.jpg

Got the rear doors opened today, had to get inside and hold handle whil repeatedly kicking the door. The drivers door and front passenger are going to take a little more work - I have the door panels removed and can see the mechanisms are quite rusty - PB Blaster evry few days and eventually they shoud work.

Surpisingly the door jams and the sill plates are not rotted as I though they would have been, the floor however.................well lets not go there.

IMG-20120603-00549.jpg

IMG-20120603-00550.jpg

IMG-20120603-00551.jpg

IMG-20120603-00552.jpg

IMG-20120603-00553.jpg

Steering wheel is not even cracked! I think the biggest mistake that is made with these cars that sit for years in these situations is that the owners don't care to prepare them for it. For Gods sake people remove that old carpet and pull the body plugs in the floorpan if you know the car will be a catch basin for rainwater!

Well it will definitely be a project...but I understand that your not in it for a quick resale and a quick buck.

Make small goals, and achieve them, then move on to the next.

Pull the plugs out of the motor and pump some used motor oil into each cylinder. Then rotate it by hand a few cycles. Change the oil and filters. Maybe pick up a rebuild kit for the carb, or try firing it as is. I'd run a hose into a gas can for the initial fire though.

I bought a 71 300 parts car years ago...been sitting 10-15 years. Hooked up a battery, tossed some gas in the tank, and down the carb and the darn 440 fired to life!!

:imho: If you or a friend are handly with a welder and willing and able to devote a lot of time and elbow grease go for it. Don't be afraid of body work either. A bit of research, some trial and error and you will be surprised at the results. You wouldn't be starting this if you didn't find working on old cars enjoyable. That's the pay back.

Back