New 65 Newport Wagon

65NewportRob

Reaction score
I just picked this up over the weekend and it was FREE, going to take a lot of work. Not sure if I have the experise to get it going but am going to take a stab at it. I welcome all feedback and comments.

Chrysler Washed Passenger Side.jpg

Chrysler Washed Front View.jpg

Chrysler Washed Drivers Side.jpg

Chrysler Washed Back View.jpg

Chrysler Interior.jpg

Chrysler 4.jpg

Welcome aboard! Well, the price was right. Does it run? More pictures please, especially of the engine bay. I don't know where you live but the Chrysler's at Carlisle National show is in Pennsylvania the weekend after the 4th of July. 82 acres of cars and hundreds of vendors selling Chyrsler parts. www.carlisleevents.com

:wavesmile:

Not running at the moment and I live in Tn, but have a frine in Scranton, maybe able to send him for some parts. The car has been sitting for about 15 - 20 years, but it did run when it was parked. I am trying to get the drums off the front so I can get the car off of the trailer and then concentrate on the engine. I wil try to post more pics.

Thanks

Welcome to the board. A free wagon is always good regardless of how much work it needs. Did you even consider the fire truck?

Yes and 1 of the 2 - 69 firebirds and the criscraft boat, and the 50's model chevy/buick 4 door he had but the only one that was free was the Chrysler, so I didn't have to haggle to much with him!

Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Good looking wagon, interesting color combo, I like it. Did you snap a pic of the Chris-Craft? Love to see that as well.

You probably saved it from a certain death trip to the crusher.

Wagons are awesome!

WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOO, took all day but got drums pryed off and all inner parts removed and even found two used tires for $ 40.00. Hopefully will have off trailer on Monday!!!

Thank for all the comments

At free that is such a good start. I can't imagine having 0 invested and a couple grand in body and paint gives you a cool and utility. I want it. I have a 9 month old 130 pound St Bernard that needs a classic to tote her around. Picked up a 6'X3' item in my Grand Cherokee today and was ready to get rid of it for a Minivan......That is a much more viable option.

I have had a 65 Newport 4 dr sedan since 1991 and a daily driver until last Thanksgiving, so can give you pointers.

It is all about rust. If what I see in the photos is just surface rust, that might clean up to smooth bare metal easy and for a nice surface to paint. If you have rust-thrus from inside to outside (rear panel in photo?), that is almost unfixable unless limited to a few spots. If the frame rails are rusted thru, it is pretty much hopeless. Rusted floor boards are common and fairly easy to fix. Often the passenger's is rusted thru from a bad heater core or AC condensate drain. Best is to strip the whole interior and eliminate rust in all the crevices with a sand blaster and repaint. The factory didn't do a thorough paint job, which is why doors usually rust thru from the inside. Don't let that happen. Use rust converter where you can't get it all off.

Your chrome on the sides is all stainless steel and can be polished as good as new, if not bent. Re-chroming bumpers, mirrors, door handles, and such is expensive since new EPA rules and no easy alternative.

Last edited:
Reminds me of my '68 Polara Wagon... Good score and great price! Best of luck on getting it back together!

The majority of all the rust on the body is surface only, passenger side front fendor at the very bottom has some through holes and the front door bottom of the rocker ahs trhough rust also, other than the rear floors ( which I should be able to use a newport 4 door floor pan for ) and the third seat floor pan, the frame looks to be pretty solid, the original chrysler undercoating is falling off though. I think for 15 years of sitting a field an a 47 year old car it should ahve been much worse!! If I can get it running then I will begin to totally dismantle for a full restoration.........

Ok the land yacht was put up on jack stands yesterday nd I noticed a small section of frame rail, about 6-8 inches that has rust through ( on the very bottom of the rail ). Can this be cut out and patched or should I scrap the whole project before it too late and have too much invested in it. The rest of the frame looks to be solid. I am also trying to get the doors unstuck and it looks like the mechanisms inside the door are just rusted really bad.

I will try to get some more pictures up this weekend

Pictures would obviously help with input from others but understand anything you do on a C body will be out of love or respect of the car not the monetary return. Even though you got the car for nothing you were probably upside down just in gas towing her home. Saying that I have over spent on many a 70 or 71 Polara because I love the cars and have no intentions of selling them.

Anything can be repaired..............

Pictures would obviously help with input from others but understand anything you do on a C body will be out of love or respect of the car not the monetary return. Even though you got the car for nothing you were probably upside down just in gas towing her home. Saying that I have over spent on many a 70 or 71 Polara because I love the cars and have no intentions of selling them.

Anything can be repaired..............

Well said and very true. The good news is you could also just replace that section of the frame and not the whole rail and it won't even cost you that much. It would cost you almost nothing if you're doing it yourself and depending on what part of the frame it is, it should be relatively easy.
I'll look forward to the pics. Having paid the big goose egg for the car puts both you and the car in a pretty good position. For the car, preservation and for you, just having a really nice piece of Americana to cruise the streets in!

Oh yeah! I would say "Tetanus" is apropriate. Well, get to work and keep us posted.

Back