new door locks

70Tom

Reaction score
I need to rebuild my door hinges on the 70 Sport Fury, and my driver's side door lock is getting impossible to fit the key in and open, so might as well tackle that as well. What have people done? Just end up matching the door locks with the trunk lock? Open to suggestions here.

Your door keys should match to the ignition key. Trunk key fits the trunk and glove box.

If your key used to work, and now it doesn't work, try some lube like "Lock-Ease" that is made for use with a lock. Do not use WD-40!

I'll try the Lock-Ease first. It seems like the tumbler is out of whack, however. Super hard to get the key in. I have to wiggle slowly with some pressure to actually get it to go in and turn.

My first question would be "How worn is the key?" Certainly the tumblers i the lock cyl can stick and such, but the key has to be "in specs" for it to work correctly. Will the key work correctly in the rh frt door lock cyl and ignition cylinder?

In any event, the lock cyl can be taken apart, cleaned and refurbished, then reassembled by a competent individual. OR you might be able to purchase a complete new pair of front door lock cyls with keys, ready to go, on someplace like RockAuto. But then that ONE key would only work the doors. Your judgment call.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Pardon my ignorance, but why not use WD-40?
WD-40 is a water displacement product. Hence the name "WD". What happens is after it evaporates, it leaves this waxy residue that can gum up the lock. I've seen it many times where it was used in precision tools and it left a gummy mess.

The best lubricant for a lock is graphite and for my money, I use Lock-Ease. I've freed up locks where they were so bad, you couldn't even get the key in.

I have a can (yes metal can) of this that my Dad bought over 30 years ago that I'm still using. A little goes a long way. Just a little on the key and insert, turn, lather, rinse repeat, until the lock frees up.

Amazon product ASIN B000GKW2NM

WD-40 is, in my opinion, a nearly useless product. I did find it useful in cleaning #6 fuel oil spills and when sprayed on a dusting rag, it will pick up dust quite nicely.
If you ever have a product to market, you would be well advised to research how WD-40 was marketed. After all if they could turn that into a "household name", think what they could do for something of value!
Lindsay

Back