New Dual Exhaust

That's Fumbuck Florida... Iran has oil :poke:
FWIW, Sebring is the County Seat for Fumbuck County. Yep, no oil here.

PicsArt_04-30-07.10.53.jpg

My favorite thing about Sebring...
sebring_raceway_map2018-web-4.jpg

Other than a visit with Commando1, of course...

Well a couple weeks and about 1000 miles later, it's now vibrating from somewhere in the rear, at idle. Not a pleasant sound.

I'm still waiting on the walker quiet flows to arrive at the muffler shop, so when I have those swapped in I will have him address the vibration and possible re-hang the tails if deemed at fault. I'll tell him that a hothead from Fumbuck Iran called it out, haha.... نادرست آویزان شد

Apologize to hack your topic. I have TTI setup on 69 Polara convertible and found the standard Dynomax being too loud. I have replaced them with Walker quiet flow PN 21856. These are in fact direct replacement, speaking of the length. These are still fairly louder then one would expect, but easier to live with.

My exhaust tips ends much further toward the end of the car then yours, pic bellow. But I think they should stick out just bit further, can anyone can confirm?

The reason I open this topic, is I can smell the exhaust fume while driving with top down. I did some research and found topic on forbbodiesonly where someone was dealing with the same problem on hardtop. His wife refused to drive with him since her clothes stinks after the drive. Later on he discovered the fumes were getting into car via improper sealing of the trunk deck and taillights. Well, I found this to be bit hard to believe but he confirms it.

In my case, I can imagine the level of turbulence behind the car maybe make possible to send some fumes into cabin. TTI complete set have perhaps 5,000 miles and seems to seal well everywhere. In the engine compartment, I smell no fumes, while adjusting the idle etc. but I did not check the sealing with the carb cleaner yet. Engine it self runs very well, so I guess there is no air leak, leading me to believe the fumes must come to the cabin area from the rear.

But I have noticed few small holes (circa 10x) in the firewall, originally used for wire holders? Its small holes in size 1/5th inch, where some air can flow into cabin and did not seal them yet. The problem with fumes in interior is not new, I have just kept ignoring it.

Perhaps somebody with convertible can step in with his experience? I know my friend with 70 Fury convertible have a straight rear tips well behind the bumper valance, maybe that’s my solution? Thanks for your inputs.

20180508_160101.png

Last edited:
Apologize to hack your topic. I have TTI setup on 69 Polara convertible and found the standard Dynomax being too loud. I have replaced them with Walker quiet flow PN 21856. These are in fact direct replacement, speaking of the length. These are still fairly louder then one would expect, but easier to live with.

My exhaust tips ends much further toward the end of the car then yours, pic bellow. But I think they should stick out just bit further, can anyone can confirm?

The reason I open this topic, is I can smell the exhaust fume while driving with top down. I did some research and found topic on forbbodiesonly where someone was dealing with the same problem on hardtop. His wife refused to drive with him since her clothes stinks after the drive. Later on he discovered the fumes were getting into car via improper sealing of the trunk deck and taillights. Well, I found this to be bit hard to believe but he confirms it.

In my case, I can imagine the level of turbulence behind the car maybe make possible to send some fumes into cabin. TTI complete set have perhaps 5,000 miles and seems to seal well everywhere. In the engine compartment, I smell no fumes, while adjusting the idle etc. but I did not check the sealing with the carb cleaner yet. Engine it self runs very well, so I guess there is no air leak, leading me to believe the fumes must come to the cabin area from the rear.

But I have noticed few small holes (circa 10x) in the firewall, originally used for wire holders? Its small holes in size 1/5th inch, where some air can flow into cabin and did not seal them yet. The problem with fumes in interior is not new, I have just kept ignoring it.

Perhaps somebody with convertible can step in with his experience? I know my friend with 70 Fury convertible have a straight rear tips well behind the bumper valance, maybe that’s my solution? Thanks for your inputs.

View attachment 184221
Close the holes in the bulkhead, even a dab of RTV should do it.

Look at the back door of any box truck, there is a low pressure area at the rear of a vehicle. If the taillights or deck lid are leaking that much, you'd likely have water intrusion problems as well... not that so many of our cars see a lot of rain. Id rather try to seal up the rear than have extensions on my tail pipes, and yours look good as is.

Close the holes in the bulkhead, even a dab of RTV should do it.

Look at the back door of any box truck, there is a low pressure area at the rear of a vehicle. If the taillights or deck lid are leaking that much, you'd likely have water intrusion problems as well... not that so many of our cars see a lot of rain. Id rather try to seal up the rear than have extensions on my tail pipes, and yours look good as is.

Thanks for respond, I´m not very active online so apologize for late feedback.

Last week I have checked some other mopars from the era and indeed, the holes at the firewall were used for the clips to secure the wiring. I also spot that mine car is missing the plastic cover above the connector bulk at the right corner. I will try to seal these holes first, perhaps thats the solution.

Agree, the tailpipes look just right.
Unless the car came with chrome tips the tailpipe turns-downs end just before the bumper.

Last edited:
oK, so I finally had the walker mufflers swapped out for quiet flows, #21063 :
WALKER® EXHAUST SYSTEMS :: E-Catalog Lookup

Not that much difference! Still loud, maybe louder. :BangHead:

He added the crossover pipe too, he forgot that on the initial install.

So, my only idea is to try another pair of mufflers 'til it sounds right. This might go on for years....

Waldrons says that they have the exact replicas of the original stock mufflers made somewhere in Canada, 8 week lead time. Anybody currently running these?

Walker 17843 SoundFX Universal Muffler

This is what I put on my car last year. Sounds old school and quite inside the car. I also have a crossover pipe, my tips extend beyond the bumper.

Commando1's Helpful Hints # 266:
Any shop that does custom exhausts, get their muflers from muffler distributers. These distributers give to their accounts (i.e. your custom exhaust shop) the full line catalogs of the muffler manufacturers they are distributers for.
What this means is, go to your local custom exhaust shop, tell them to drag out those catalogs that are under the coffee maker and in the **** house, choose one out the 89 billion listed, order it and it will there in a day or two.
We're talking mufflers, here. Not that hard or nerve wracking as every wants to make it.

I absolutely detest these "best muffler" questions.
Yet here I am. :BangHead:

So, my only idea is to try another pair of mufflers 'til it sounds right. This might go on for years....

Waldrons says that they have the exact replicas of the original stock mufflers made somewhere in Canada, 8 week lead time. Anybody currently running these?

I used Dynomax 17747 20" offset/offset 2 1/4". The 13" droned terribly while the 20" don't. Nice low rumble out the back but no problem inside. The 17748 is 2 1/2" dia. My tips end right at the valance edge and I have a crossover.

That Walker looks just like a standard OEM muffler from back in the days. I wish I could recall the muffler I placed on my 67 Park Lane as the shop thought I would need resonators but it turned out fine without them.

Last edited:

I have used Walker Quiet Flow 21856 and they are direct replacement for the standard Dynamox Turbo mufflers delivered with the complete TTI exhaust setup. While they are still louder then what would one expect from quiet flow series, they are much less loud then Dynomax mufflers I got rid of.

Right, zero back pressure is the preferred. I don't understand where back pressure (i.e. restriction) could be seen as a benefit. Pure B.S.!

2.5" pipes will be used. I'm confident in Todd, the owner. He'll do an amazing job just like he's done before.

Update: Accurate Exhaust said those hangers are out of stock and they can't get 'em anymore. So I think I'll just let Todd hang it as he pleases.

Just an update.................Accurate Exhaust has these hangers back in stock now. They are the only source for this type of hanger that I could find................................so perhaps they found someone to reproduce them again. I bought 4 of them for my two restoration projects currently underway - both are 440 HP dual exhaust systems for a 70 and a 71 Chrysler 300. They had 10 in stock when I talked with them a few weeks ago.

Just an update.................Accurate Exhaust has these hangers back in stock now. They are the only source for this type of hanger that I could find................................so perhaps they found someone to reproduce them again. I bought 4 of them for my two restoration projects currently underway - both are 440 HP dual exhaust systems for a 70 and a 71 Chrysler 300. They had 10 in stock when I talked with them a few weeks ago.
If you want them, get them while they are available. I know they run their C body products during the slow winter months, so it's not something they are always restocking.

Back