New Member Here

Jerry Hall

Reaction score
I have been active on B bodies only for several years. I do have a couple of big cars one I know is a C body and the other I'm not quite sure what to call a 1956 Desoto Wagon. The C body is a 63 Chrysler 300 non letter car.
-1693065560_20180907_180744_3466496.jpg
1709005456_IMG_3096_217529.jpg

Unfortunately I have no pictures of the 63, although I have had it for ages.
I'm joining to get some realistic value on a car that has crossed into my life for a second time. It's a 70 Chrysler 300 Hurst. I looked at it about 20 years ago, and it's all original. Condition at that time was what I considered 3 minus. The drivers door is probably going to need to be replaced due to a very large dent, just short of breaking the glass. It has rust around the rear window and I don't know what the trunk pan looks like. It's been stored inside for the last 25 plus years so I'm fairly sure it hasn't gotten worse. The owner when I looked at it has passed, and his son approached me a few days ago. I have a feeling he has Barrett Jackson values, because I told him that in in 3 plus to 2 condition I thought the value was around 45K tops from someone with a real desire for it. I know they only made 501 of these. What are the thoughts here?
L
I can open a thread here for further discussion. I would have to look at it again to be fair in my valuation.

Welcome Mr. Hall from a hill in Arkansas. I’d like to help with your inquiry but would defer to others with more experience.

Welcome to the site.

Your Desoto wagon is considered a Forward Look car here (those are the ones Chrysler built from 1955 through 1961) and styled by Virgil Exner and his team at Chrysler back in those days.

The potential estimated asking price of the Hurst given what you do know about it is probably likely somewhat high if there is rust around the rear window (if there is rust back there, it is likely there is also rust around the windshield as well) and usually with such a problem the trunk floor will likely need significant repair, plus the body damage to the door. Other factors on the Hurst models to note of is whether the decklid has warped over time because the torsion bar springs that hold that relatively heavy fiberglass part open also cause constant upward pressure on the decklid even when closed. This causes the decklid to warp upwards in the middle over time that would need to be remedied. Also you should note whether the metal underlayment on which the fiberglass hood rests is rusted since that seems to be fairly common as well.

Given that the Hurst has sat for some 25 years and not driven, there will also need to be quite a lot of work to get it running again and related expense. It also sounds like you would not know the condition of the power train as a result when trying to purchase it so that is also a big factor in the overall price of the vehicle.

Personally, without seeing photos of the actual all original car, my offer if interested would be around $30K tops but some photos would really be needed to be able to better evaluate the worth and seeing what options it has is also a factor. For example having a console makes them a little more valuable and seeing the body code plate would also help in seeing all the options it has in order to help determine its worth. I would also want to see photos of the underbody and rear quarters, etc. Since the door will need repainting when fixed and given the decals all over the car, those correct kits are not inexpensive and finding a good artist to apply them well might be a challenge and the whole vehicle might need a repaint given its history.

While relatively few of these vehicles were built, they also seem to be readily available even these days since they seem to change hands more than most for some reason.

Last edited:
Welcome to the site.

Your Desoto wagon is considered a Forward Look car here (those are the ones Chrysler built from 1955 through 1961) and styled by Virgil Exner and his team at Chrysler back in those days.

The potential estimated asking price of the Hurst given what you do know about it is probably likely somewhat high if there is rust around the rear window (if there is rust back there, it is likely there is also rust around the windshield as well) and usually with such a problem the trunk floor will likely need significant repair, plus the body damage to the door. Other factors on the Hurst models to note of is whether the decklid has warped over time because the torsion bar springs that hold that relatively heavy fiberglass part open also cause constant upward pressure on the decklid even when closed. This causes the decklid to warp upwards in the middle over time that would need to be remedied. Also you should note whether the metal underlayment on which the fiberglass hood rests is rusted since that seems to be fairly common as well.

Given that the Hurst has sat for some 25 years and not driven, there will also need to be quite a lot of work to get it running again and related expense. It also sounds like you would not know the condition of the power train as a result when trying to purchase it so that is also a big factor in the overall price of the vehicle.

Personally, without seeing photos of the actual all original car, my offer if interested would be around $30K tops but some photos would really be needed to be able to better evaluate the worth and seeing what options it has is also a factor. For example having a console makes them a little more valuable and seeing the body code plate would also help in seeing all the options it has in order to help determine its worth. I would also want to see photos of the underbody and rear quarters, etc. Since the door will need repainting when fixed and given the decals all over the car, those correct kits are not inexpensive and finding a good artist to apply them well might be a challenge and the whole vehicle might need a repaint given its history.

While relatively few of these vehicles were built, they also seem to be readily available even these days since they seem to change hands more than most for some reason.
Thanks that's the kind of information I was looking for. It's not a B body or A body which I am more familiar with, and their problem areas. Even though this car has not been in the weather, I know it wasn't properly set up for storage and rust does spread over time in the hot humid climate of Alabama in the summer. The son and current owner stated in casual conversation that it hasn't been cranked in over 20 years. I know from experience what it costs to get it running and reliable. My grandfather's Desoto sat from 1974 to 2012 when my mother finally decided I could have it. Ultimately if I'm able to purchase this car reasonably I'm not sure that at my age I want to undertake a major project which I know this would probably turn into. I'm to much of a perfectionist to cut any corners. I will go look at it and get as many pictures as I can. Thanks again for your honest input.

Just a tad off the subject, I just paid $36.00 for a standard radiator hose. restoration cost today are over the hill.

Back