New oil leak on my fury

mopar Joe 65

Reaction score
I have a problem and a question , my car was running pretty good but i think my crankcase ventilation was pulling too much blow by when I had it connected to the back of my manifold so I changed it to go to my carb instead, I’am not sure why but it seems to idle and run a lot better this way. the problem is I only have 300 miles on the engine and I went to the gas station today and back home , parked it and now my rear main seal is leaking ? I read somewhere if you don’t have enough ventilation it could blow out your seal ? Has anyone heard of this ? I will post 2 pictures of before and after my switch.

IMG_0616.jpeg

IMG_1180.jpeg

I have a problem and a question , my car was running pretty good but i think my crankcase ventilation was pulling too much blow by when I had it connected to the back of my manifold so I changed it to go to my carb instead, I’am not sure why but it seems to idle and run a lot better this way. the problem is I only have 300 miles on the engine and I went to the gas station today and back home , parked it and now my rear main seal is leaking ? I read somewhere if you don’t have enough ventilation it could blow out your seal ? Has anyone heard of this ? I will post 2 pictures of before and after my switch.

View attachment 600823

View attachment 600824
This is not right at all. That’s a breather cap you have the line hooked to. You need a PCV valve with a 3/8” hose on one side and a breather with a filter element on the other, not hooked to anything.
It’s hard telling what damage was done with this configuration.

Looks to me like that the red line is hooked up to a PCV valve on the passenger valve cover. Not clear in the bottom pic but appears to be disconnected there as the breather is now hooked up to the pcv connection on the carb. If that's the case I'm guessing you're effectively drawing a vacuum on the crankcase right? Would that be enough negative pressure to cause a rear main leak?

I doubt that hook up of breather to PCV intake vacuum would causing a rear main seal leak.

I think your engine rebuilder didn't know what he was doing. Unfortunately, that error is a lot of work to fix.

It looks to me like there is vacuum hooked to the pcv valve AND the breather, creating a strong vacuum inside the crank case with no inlet for fresh air.

With the air cleaner you have, that chrome cap on the right of the picture (passenger side of the engine) shouldn't be hooked to anything.

UNLESS that breather cap looking thing has a pcv internal to it, hooking the pcv to that front center vac tap on the carb is correct. There should NOT be any significant blow-by on a fresh engine. Is the red line a fuel line?

The "breather caps" usually are attached to the air cleaner, or in the case of your open element, open to the ai (as in the late-1960s and prior). That lets air in for circulation. Was on the rr section of the rh valve cover, back then (about 1969 and newer). In earlier times, it was where the breather cap you have is.

The pcv should be on the opposite size of the breather, with the vac hose attached to the center of the carb (largest diameter vac tap there). Why would you have it attached to a vac tap on a manifold runner? That tap back there is for the power brakes/cruise control and hvac system.

Sounds like you need to schedule a trip to the machine shop for the rear main leak.

Regards,
CBODY67

That 5/8” heater hose being hooked any engine vacuum is just not right. Whether it caused the leak or not I don’t know. Surprised it runs very good at all the way this appears to be hooked up.

This is not right at all. That’s a breather cap you have the line hooked to. You need a PCV valve with a 3/8” hose on one side and a breather with a filter element on the other, not hooked to anything.
Follow this advice. I think the rear main leak is a separate issue.

^This^

And get rid of the JC Whitney glass fuel filter. They leak and break and are just fires waiting to happen.

Thanks for the input guys I guess my pictures weren’t very clear , the right side of my engine has the pvc valve with the red hose attached to it and it goes to the vacuum port on my carb. The vent hose from my oil filler cap goes to my air cleaner. Do I need a breather hose from my oil cap ? Maybe my oil leak is just a coincidence but I didn’t have any leaks until I switched the hose ? I just hate to replace the seal and have it go out again. Here are 2 more pictures.

IMG_1184.jpeg

IMG_1183.jpeg

Couldn't hurt to check if your PCV valve itself is still good but with this configuration your rear main seal leak looks coincidental to me.

G'Day,
Just a Simple Suggestion!
Check to see if the Oil Pressure Switch at the Top Rear of the Block is not Leaking.
Many Years ago I was about to Replace the Rear Main When a Friend with a Little More Experience
Mentioned the Possibility of an Oil Switch Leak running down the Block & Looking Like a Rear Main Leak.
Thankfully he was Right.
Check the Simple Stuff First! It's Cheaper !
Regards Tony.M

Thanks for the tip, I did check everywhere first . I finally got the seal out but I had my doubts the silicone sealer was holding it in so tight even with a hammer and punch it wouldn’t budge, I didn’t know what I was going to do and my wife asked if I tried heat ? I didn’t want to burn my car up but I heated the ends with a little propane torch and tapped on one end and it came right out, what a relief. Now I’m just waiting for my seal and gaskets to get here .

IMG_1186.jpeg

IMG_1187.jpeg

IMG_1188.jpeg

Also I would like to add my tie rods didn’t want to come loose but I got the right side inner one out and was able to pull it down enough to get the pan off and I didn’t have to jack up the engine.

Thanks for the tip, I did check everywhere first . I finally got the seal out but I had my doubts the silicone sealer was holding it in so tight even with a hammer and punch it wouldn’t budge, I didn’t know what I was going to do and my wife asked if I tried heat ? I didn’t want to burn my car up but I heated the ends with a little propane torch and tapped on one end and it came right out, what a relief. Now I’m just waiting for my seal and gaskets to get here .

View attachment 601264

View attachment 601265

View attachment 601266
Ahhh... Someone that understands cribbing.

Hey big John , you will be happy to know I retired my glass fuel filter. It don’t look as cool but I really don’t want it to go up in flames.

IMG_1191.jpeg

Back