New to me 78 NYB, in the driveway, because of my wife.

Sorry, I couldn't resist the title parity... basically because it's true, and the irony of being a yet another 78 NYB Salon.

You see, I had my wife join a C-body FB website because I'm not a FB'er, probably because I had something to sell, or whatever. So one night she's scrolling through her feed and says "ohhh, look at this car... can we go see it?" So I said "Are you nuts? We need another car like a hole in the head!"

The truth was, I'd seen the car on CL, I think somebody even posted it here. It was fairly local... a rural area about 60 miles north of us. Yes it intrigued me, but I ignored it because I was trying to concentrate of getting rid of cars, not adding to the fleet. But when your own wife turns toward you in bed one night and holds up a picture of a sexy C-body, what can you do? She really does like to help me work on cars, and has better mechanical ability than most men I know (which sadly isn't a high bar circa 2018). Her dad was of the mindset to hand down his old luxury cars on the idea "bigger is safer" I suppose. So her first car was a Lincoln Town Car, and she seems to measure everything against that. Thank God it wasn't some shitbox ricemobile. She drives the wheels off that T-top Magnum. She loves to watch people freak out when she drives the Mexican Ramcharger and has taught our daughter to imitate its insanely loud exhaust. She's also a great mom, a great cook and is a pretty as a '66 300, '69 Imperial and '78 NYB rolled into one... with a dash of '77 Cordoba.

So I agreed to call the owner, hoping he'd be some kind of jerky-nutcase, but he actually seemed pretty cool. Damn.

I set a time to go see it, even met my dad for breakfast and handed-off our daughter since a 3 y/o isn't helpful when examining a 40 y/o car. The owner called during breakfast and said he couldn't get the car to start. That story is here:

Learn from my Chrysler Electronic Ignition System troubleshooting

Of course I knew that could work in our favor regarding price. The car was parked on dirt, under a bunch of pine trees. :(

The good news, I suppose, was that it hadn't been there long. What I DID notice was this car had no rust, touched-up original paint and everything seemed to defy the idea of 106k miles. The windows and lock function like new. The 8 track works (albeit distorted). The tape stripes are original, as evidenced by the die-cut ends, rather than overlapped edges.

It will need paint and some other forms of TLC, but you guys tell me if this looks like a hi-miles car?

Another post with more pics to follow...

View attachment 224472

View attachment 224473

View attachment 224474

View attachment 224475

View attachment 224476

Carmine: You need to see a proctology surgeon immediately - and get that horseshoe removed from yer arse.

Carmine: You need to see a proctology surgeon immediately - and get that horseshoe removed from yer arse.

I won't deny that I feel pretty lucky in that regard, but it didn't come without being very selective and thus marrying fairly late in life to someone younger (but no twenty-something kid either). I had to test drive a lot of junk before I wised-up.

Hot damn Carmine! Congrats!

clap.gif

Nice job, I really like the color. And it sounds like you're a very lucky husband, congrats on both scores!
Michigan had the best bicentennial plate (which they kept until '78).
Ironically I thought the same thing yesterday also and grabbed a set while out yarding.
20181025_094001.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist the title parity... basically because it's true, and the irony of being a yet another 78 NYB Salon.

You see, I had my wife join a C-body FB website because I'm not a FB'er, probably because I had something to sell, or whatever. So one night she's scrolling through her feed and says "ohhh, look at this car... can we go see it?" So I said "Are you nuts? We need another car like a hole in the head!"

The truth was, I'd seen the car on CL, I think somebody even posted it here. It was fairly local... a rural area about 60 miles north of us. Yes it intrigued me, but I ignored it because I was trying to concentrate of getting rid of cars, not adding to the fleet. But when your own wife turns toward you in bed one night and holds up a picture of a sexy C-body, what can you do? She really does like to help me work on cars, and has better mechanical ability than most men I know (which sadly isn't a high bar circa 2018). Her dad was of the mindset to hand down his old luxury cars on the idea "bigger is safer" I suppose. So her first car was a Lincoln Town Car, and she seems to measure everything against that. Thank God it wasn't some shitbox ricemobile. She drives the wheels off that T-top Magnum. She loves to watch people freak out when she drives the Mexican Ramcharger and has taught our daughter to imitate its insanely loud exhaust. She's also a great mom, a great cook and is a pretty as a '66 300, '69 Imperial and '78 NYB rolled into one... with a dash of '77 Cordoba.

So I agreed to call the owner, hoping he'd be some kind of jerky-nutcase, but he actually seemed pretty cool. Damn.

I set a time to go see it, even met my dad for breakfast and handed-off our daughter since a 3 y/o isn't helpful when examining a 40 y/o car. The owner called during breakfast and said he couldn't get the car to start. That story is here:

Learn from my Chrysler Electronic Ignition System troubleshooting

Of course I knew that could work in our favor regarding price. The car was parked on dirt, under a bunch of pine trees. :(

The good news, I suppose, was that it hadn't been there long. What I DID notice was this car had no rust, touched-up original paint and everything seemed to defy the idea of 106k miles. The windows and lock function like new. The 8 track works (albeit distorted). The tape stripes are original, as evidenced by the die-cut ends, rather than overlapped edges.

It will need paint and some other forms of TLC, but you guys tell me if this looks like a hi-miles car?

Another post with more pics to follow...

View attachment 224472

View attachment 224473

View attachment 224474

View attachment 224475

View attachment 224476
You Suck... :lol::thumbsup:

1024181815-jpg.jpg

I see some 2 footed driver pedal wear... you should see what I've done to DD in a decade of urban traffic.

View attachment 224889
I see some 2 footed driver pedal wear... you should see what I've done to DD in a decade of urban traffic.

I'll tell you what I don't see... 106k of wear on any "touch points". I need to run the VIN through the Google machine. The PO has owned it since 2015, but this was somebody's baby before that. I'm wondering if it was ever on another website.

102418183395HDR.jpg

1024181818.jpg

Back