New to me 78 NYB on its way but please Don't tell my wife

Set the choke. Runs rich enough now cold without having too high an idle. Adjusted the primary choke butterfly to stay on a little longer. Still a little stumble off idle. But less so. Attack on stumble continues....

Decided to advance the timing just a hair. Eyeballed about 5 degrees. Stumble now almost completely gone off idle. Need to test it under load to be sure but had to go easy. Don’t need it to start pinging.

The lean burn like the old vacuum advance retards the timing to its idle set point with a set limited advance (not full).

Like the old vacuum advance system, when you crack the throttles in the lean burn, two things happen. One, the idle switch on the throttle opens taking the computer off the idle curve, vacuum sensor notes manifold vacuum and gauges demand based on rpm and movement is registered on the throttle position sensor as to change in the throttle position over time (speed of throttle movement). Two, the spark computer retards the timing based on all the above, manifold vacuum and temp ( one timing curve for engines below 150 degrees and one for above).

If the set timing is too retarded, it throws all the settings too retarded across the board. It does a whole lot more that a vacuum system can ever do like remember timing setting, reset itself, increase itself over steady state operation to maximum advance.

Now to the pulley noise......

Thought of something regarding the idler pulley. Looked at it head on, in line with the belt to see if it wasn’t the bearing but the belts slapping the wheel making it sound and clink like a bell.

8F40A108-3497-4F1D-A63B-BA05BF0C7685.jpeg

Bingo! Saw daylight! The moment the R2 compressor engages the belts were popping around and slapping the idler-wheel which was making all the racket.

F98DC246-67F5-47F8-A137-2CE6D7D64716.jpeg

Tightened the belt to about 1/4” play with a couple of pounds of my thumb.... and problem solved. At least until the belt stretches.

Last edited:
This thread is a very nice antidote for the '69 Chryzler Newport video where problems are solved with youtube sympathy.

I’m soooooooo tired! Knocked the **** out of myself this weekend and this morning.

Left to do:
  • Finish exterior touch up. (1 day)
  • Check cruise control and change out all exterior bulbs that are blown detail out the cornering lights full of dust and crap (1 day)
  • Adjust front bumper up to best I can (1 day)
  • Make and Install rear surprise (1day)
  • Shampoo and Clean up interior detailing (1day)
  • Final exterior polish (1 day) one week after touch up complete
  • Get plates (1day)
  • Start driving and sort the bugs out (forever)
Two weeks to go....

Cleaned up the interior yesterday but had the doors open for a few hours. Car wouldn’t start. Too little time for it to have drained the new battery to a no start voltage. Me thinks my friend did a lot of the A/C and radio work without a charger. Hmmm.

0BB058C1-CAF3-40EA-B037-0539A7808B58.jpeg

Took two hours of gentle cleaning to get the grime off with some very mild saddle soap for the front seats. Then I hit it with Lexol leather preservative (very diluted mink and kneeds foot oils). It also has a little parifin in it so it will need to be buffed out with a soft rag tomorrow.

BA2E854D-5CD1-48E2-BEF0-6F8BA4DD7D32.jpeg

Back seats were mostly dusty and took less than a half hour to bring big them back to like new.

70EF01D1-E464-4ECF-8310-86A735BCF58E.jpeg

Back at it today starting a check of the ignition system. Starting by checking the battery. First thing in the FSM they say to check.

C927A15D-B7CC-4191-BE6D-8F546C7E3D2D.jpeg

Just over 12.v. When I opened the door to put a little load on it, it started dropping fast.

Last edited:
Cleaned up the interior yesterday but had the doors open for a few hours. Car wouldn’t start. Too little time for it to have drained the new battery to a no start voltage. Me thinks my friend did a lot of the A/C and radio work without a charger. Hmmm.

View attachment 184956
Took two hours of gentle cleaning to get the grime off with some very mild saddle soap to coral up the front seats. Then I hit it with Lexol leather preservative (very diluted mink and kneeds foot oils). It also has a little parifin in it so it will need to be buffed our with a soft rag tomorrow.

View attachment 184957
Back seats were mostly dusty and took less than a half hour to bring big them back to like new.

View attachment 184958
Back at it today starting a check of the ignition system. Starting by checking the battery. First thing in the FSM they say to check.

View attachment 184959
Just over 12.v. When I opened the door to put a little load on it, it started dropping fast.

Lexol is the best! My dad used to use it on all his tack for his horses back when he was racing them.

Five hours at 10A charging later......

C67B756C-C5E8-4F88-90D2-C2EAFA011783.jpeg

50A4A22A-BBFA-4E32-9F16-24BA6430B430.jpeg

Started up first Turn of the key... a little rough because I blew some gumout down the throat and all over the throttle plates to clean off some of the soot from the backfires I was experiencing yesterday. Then it settled right out.

Checked the alternator and took a little of the down time to refurbish the positive terminal a bit so it would sinch down on the battery post.
A washer, some gentle squeezing with a vice grip and some gentle persuasion with a hammer to realign the ends of the terminal.

E7D819B7-E277-4A4A-AA56-849F225786CD.jpeg

Alternator putting out 14.75v.

The FSM was right. Check the battery voltage first.

Last edited:
Going back in early to finish up some little tweeks to the engine before heading to my first meeting. Last night I sinched down the rebuilt carb (snug but not tight) and cleaned all the connections to sensors on carb. Test will be cold start this morning. Noticed enrichment cycle came off fairly quickly. Two minutes in or so. Leaned it out plenty. Still getting a part warm stumble. More later.

Did end up shampooing the carpets a bit and salvaging one set of the generic mats for the front. Looking almost decent.

Antenna switch crapped the bed and horn now inoperative. Chasing gremlins has begun.

Back