New to me 78 NYB on its way but please Don't tell my wife

Bummer, those reluctors will go on either way (upside down ) sometimes it helps with the rotor to cap phasing. Maybe that was why yours was off.
Nope, the pick up coils are different.

90EC7A78-B2A7-4CEF-B3F7-F42D01D66532.jpeg

Forgive the crude lines... fingered it.

Coils and pivot points are rotated clockwise about 12 degrees. Advanced!

Your girls must think you are the coolest dad. :)

No.... not yet. Their friends do though, and tell them all the time.

I used to drop them off every morning and sometimes pick them up from school in the wagon or the convertible Eldorado or the Road Runner when they were in middle and high school (before they got their own rides). They always complained that they were soooooooo embarrassed.

I would even roll down all the widows on cool afternoons and play Donna Summer, or the Partridge Family on the radio real loud just to piss them off and add to their horror. The other parents would then sing or swing along and that would really piss them off. I would just smile knowing I was engraving a memory onto their hard drives.

My time will come later. Right now they just think I’m odd.

How about you Stan?

Last edited:
Don't worry about the hand drawn lines, most of us would have given the car the finger, lol.

There's nothing odd about a patient and persistent fellow who's consideration for his fellow forum members led to brilliantly illustrative and step by step instructions how to do what folks like Stan would have believed impossible.

It's fair to say we, and future members owe you a debt of gratitude for your contributions, and you can be proud of yourself, truly a respected and valued forum member.:thumbsup::thankyou::drama:

Right now they just think I’m odd.

How about you Stan?
I'm sure Stan, like the rest of us... would agree that you're fairly abnormal... :lol:

But I've been starting to think Formal owners may not have been normal in the 70's either :rolleyes:

Either way, we think you're a cool dad... and someday they'll have fond memories of your old music and cars :thumbsup::thankyou:

She’s still in the corner. I said a few days and I meant it!

I think I’ll park the newly washed wagon next to her so she can see what a good girl gets when she behaves.

View attachment 213054
Here she is looking spiffy. She’s working so nicely that I just bought her an NOS grille.

View attachment 213056
Ahhhh what a caboose!

View attachment 213055
My other good girls. Out for a ride to buy some Cuban coffee for our morning café con leche.

Jeez! That wagon is outstanding!

Any interior pictures?

Jeez! That wagon is outstanding!

Any interior pictures?

Just for you Bob!!!!!

8A868786-7DE6-456A-9F47-3446196A1760.jpeg

B4093208-BFAA-4C86-B3CC-BF212E11AC5A.jpeg

852CA9AD-FAB7-4BC4-AE1C-55B041FD956D.jpeg

The rear A/C unit is the correct unit but not original. Usually, they were bone white to match the headliner. As this car did not come with this badly needed option for FLORIDA, it had a tan headliner (car originally from Illinois). When I overhauled it, the vinyl was badly stained (some kid with a bic pen did it, could hardly see it ... but still) so I recovered it to match the headliner with elk grain vinyl and painted the grilled and vents to match. Looks very good but is not strictly “correct”.

Also added were the towing option trans cooler and larger three row radiator.... It’s that FLORIDA thing again. Power antenna was also transferred as well (from its predecessor prior to its sale).... A nostalgic reminder of its service to me in building my house.

Other than adding that option, it is original and correct. The car came loaded and in great condition.

Last edited:
So.... I finished the carb and put it back in. Started it and same as before it’s still backfiring and running like ****.

I loosened the distributor enough to turn it but with enough drag to hold it. To check and adjust the timing.

Put the timing light on it and it’s flashing intermittently...... not a regular pulse.

“No”... I said.... “it can’t be! It just can’t be”.

Check the resistance on new pickup coil and.... 350 ohms....perfect!

Check the gap.... it’s a tight .008”

Nothing to do... but; pull the distributor check it, and if inop put the old pickup back in to confirm. (Btw, I’m getting going at pulling it out even hot)

Put the distributor on my bench vise and hooked the multi meter on continuity to listen for the pulse and there it was just like Morse code not a continuous buzz...

Put the old one back in (checked it; it buzzed) to move the car while I get another pickup coil. Set it to the picture I still had and turned the key. The engine fired on the first turn and as smooth as before.

F—k me!

That damned bad pickup cost me a brand new muffler.

image.jpg

Pissed.

Last edited:
Doing a little research on the pickup coil.

Seems there is a right hand and left hand for them or a separate part number I’m not finding.

Part number I can find is 4091147.

Look:

AA8DB359-0C0E-4DDA-AAE1-9009FF1BB535.jpeg

This is the one out of the car that I just put back in. On this shot, you can more clearly see that the coil lines up exactly with the mounting screws. It’s clearly marked LH.

0D2B176E-0433-4B87-9ECC-69261E9D19FC.png

This is part number 4091147 it’s marked RH and the alignment is off or just different.

No way to set the timing because it’s still indexed to the cap differently from what I have.

3710B313-0447-4691-AEB0-D3237F080602.jpeg

From the back you can see it has two places it can be assembled... ok so I’m not crazy.

Easy option would now be to get a good pickup coil and install it on the old base with a rivet.

Last edited:
LH vs RH..... where have I seen that before????

Why would Chrysler make two differently indexed pickup coils?

Dave? Could it be different spark control computer timing settings? Curious.

Last edited:
Back