New to me 78 NYB on its way but please Don't tell my wife

REPORT!!!

264480A0-5E89-4826-B5B2-78AF1BEC8791.jpeg

New pickup in and a lot of the missing is much better but haven’t driven the car much without Freon....

Muffler in and really really quiet in comparison to the old muffler. ..... very happy!

Ball was almost back to the goal line again. I was looking forward to getting back to forward positive motion......

when the passenger front window motor crapped the bed....

Bad girl..... bad!!!

Last edited:
REPORT!!!

View attachment 214764

New pickup in and a lot of the missing is much better but haven’t driven the car much without Freon....

Muffler in and really really quiet in comparison to the old muffler. ..... very happy!

Ball was almost back to the goal line again. I was looking forward to getting back to forward positive motion......

Bad girl..... bad!!!
Along with brakes, master cylinder, brake booster - I almost have come to the conclusion that the window motors need to be replaced on all of my acquisitions! The 75 Imp needed one, the 77 Cordoba needed one and my 77 Cordoba right window is very slow. Just bite the bullet and replace them. Get the drill out and drill out the pop rivets, replace motor and install with 1/4" bolts!

REPORT!!!

View attachment 214764

Bad girl..... bad!!!
Along with brakes, master cylinder, brake booster - I almost have come to the conclusion that the window motors need to be replaced on all of my acquisitions! The 75 Imp needed one, the 77 Cordoba needed one and my 77 Cordoba right window is very slow. Just bite the bullet and replace them. Get the drill out and drill out the pop rivets, replace motor and install with 1/4" bolts!
Problem is... is it the motor, the gear (pucks), the switch... :lol:

Javier... :wtf:
5759fe32-9464-4f20-865a-140981f0e8a0-jpeg.jpg

How would a Formal fit behind the wall???

:rofl:

Problem is... is it the motor, the gear (pucks), the switch... :lol:

Javier... :wtf:
View attachment 214833
How would a Formal fit behind the wall???

:rofl:

Pretty sure it’s the gear as I can hear the motor running.

Am I to understand (from Moseman’s post) that I have to drill out pop rivits to remove the window motor? If so....That’s just crazy!!

As to parking Formals.... they will fit in the garage but can not be left out in my design.

Pretty sure it’s the gear as I can hear the motor running.

Am I to understand (from Moseman’s post) that I have to drill out pop rivits to remove the window motor? If so....That’s just crazy!!

As to parking Formals.... they will fit in the garage but can not be left out in my design.
Yes, on a Formal, the door motor and worm gear (window regulator) are pop riveted to the door panel. There is one stud on the motor itself, but the window regulator in which the motor is attached is pop riveted with 1/4 inch rivets to the door frame. Drill out the pop rivets, remove the regulator, and then take the motor off the regulator. Watch out so that you keep the spring still under tension on the regulator. I inserst a bolt or something when I take the motor off so the spring is still under tension. Put the regulator with the motor back in the door and fasten with 1/4 by 1/2 bolts. You have to work behind the regulator to get wo in, but needle nose pliers and patience will ge the job done. I am getting a lot of experience on Formal doors!

How many more times left on your door panel clips. That hardboard backing is getting pretty crumbly
Yeppers. Very true!!! I have a clip removal tool that works fairly well and does not pull on the hardboard. I have also purchase new clips that are longer and more forgiving! The other problem is the plastic that is above the door arm rests. I have had to spice in some sheet metal with pop rivets to reinforce the plastic.
20180812_113509.jpg

Yes, on a Formal, the door motor and worm gear (window regulator) are pop riveted to the door panel. There is one stud on the motor itself, but the window regulator in which the motor is attached is pop riveted with 1/4 inch rivets to the door frame. Drill out the pop rivets, remove the regulator, and then take the motor off the regulator. Watch out so that you keep the spring still under tension on the regulator. I inserst a bolt or something when I take the motor off so the spring is still under tension. Put the regulator with the motor back in the door and fasten with 1/4 by 1/2 bolts. You have to work behind the regulator to get wo in, but needle nose pliers and patience will ge the job done. I am getting a lot of experience on Formal doors!

Thank you Moseman!

You got any pictures you can share??? FSM is a little light on detail.

2FC413C8-4CEB-44A5-BC45-35D668339B37.jpeg

2A6EB7E5-3132-4FF0-824C-AE3FA6F7DB1B.jpeg

Best I can tell. The motor looks to be riveted to the sector gear support piece. But I guess it will all become more clear when I dig into it. Can’t imagine that the entire contraption is riveted to the door itself. That makes no sense to me.

Last edited:

Well, you definitely have your priorities in design right - the Formals - or any Mopar, for that matter - should get the garage: leave the outside to the lesser vessels. :)

Ouch!!!!!

In case you were all wondering what happened to me...

Had to have a hernia operated that was getting worse on Friday. Has me laid up for a few weeks as I heal.

Went in for it that morning as it was bothering me and was looking kind of scary and they scheduled me for the same day.

Surprise!!!!

They never told me how much it would actually hurt.

I came out of anesthesia and my first word was OUCH.... which I kept repeating ever louder until they gave me a Percocet.

Been on my back and mostly sleeping until today.

My youngest daughter has promised to be my hands on a few smaller projects later this week after seeing me mopey today at not being able to do anything.

Looking forward to that!

Back