New to me 78 NYB on its way but please Don't tell my wife

I had a '93 in Kingfisher Blue. Awesome car, traded it in on my Lotus. Always wanted another but a convertible.

It's yours a V-12 or the straight six?

Toyed with the idea then the damn thing blew an injection hose and caught fire.

My neighbor in Germany when I was in the Army had a 1970's V-12 Jag that he was in the process of shipping it back to the states. The car was parked in the parking lot and the wiring shorted out somehow and burned to the ground.

I had actually already sourced the hoses and injectors the week before and parked it fearing the worst. Had to take my daughter to an appointment and took the car in hopes that one more time would be ok. Got half way down the block when..... smoke happened. **** was I pissed at myself.

Put it out but too late..... damage was done in less than 2 minutes.

I have a friend who has ten Jaguars, including two XJRS's (or XJSR or whatever). I learned really quick that one needs a large bank account to get parts for those cars, since most of them are in the U.K. or apparently one guy in the states has all the leftover parts for the older cars. I'll stick with my old Mopars anyday, thank you! Those XJRS cars are pretty sweet for what they were supposed to be.

John's Broken Kitties has been a running a monthly ad in Hemmings at least as long as I have been reading the mag.
His ad is a long rambling Fireside Chat about all things Jaguar seeing as he is a long time Jaguar parts seller. They are fascinating and funny to read.
And his ads have been the No.1 reason that I know I don't have what it takes to own one of those beautiful but wretched cars.

Screenshot_2019-08-14-20-09-08.jpg

Last edited:
Neighbour of mine bought a 89` V12 Jaguar in 2015 and it has been on a road once or twice a year since then...wonder why:rolleyes:.

But really, sorry to hear about your Jag Jav.

If you know what this is, you know what I did for a few hours this weekend.

C4C30B7C-212A-492A-9F32-08EFB36720CC.jpeg

I was driving in the rain on Friday when the passenger side wiper stopped. The bushing on the drivers side of the connecting arm broke.

My fault!

When I replaced them a year ago or so, the passenger side wiper would hang up occasionally on the trim when I shut them off. The trim was sitting just proud of the glass and I let it go for too long. I would manually return the passenger side blade to the rest position when it got stuck... but only when I remembered or noticed it.

To resolve the issue of the trim.....
I removed the trim and very gently straightened the trim very slightly and only in the area it would hang up. The idea being that once reinstalled the trim would sit tight to the glass... and it worked.

These bushings are good at handling sudden low levels of shock load but terrible for constant load. Being semi solids, they yield and eventuality fail under constant compressive or shear loads.

By getting the passenger side wiper stuck on the trim, the bushing was left in constant load and eventually sheared as can be seen in the picture above. These were good quality new OEM bushings that were still very flexible.

Likewise when I reset the blades, I set them just as per the FSM. I also checked the blades in the rest position to make sure the arms weren’t under any tension.

Hopefully, second time’s the charm.

Last edited:
Hey, Jav, have you heard about any wiper bushing problems in the '78s? :rolleyes:
Lol!!!

Asked Bob for his solution although I think mine works better. The previous owner of my car hacked off the end of a Córdoba power arm and riveted the crap out of it onto the New Yorker power arm.... end of problem.

One of these things is not like the other....

758DA9F9-11EA-4A4A-8486-54A2830AE1F2.jpeg

Took the New Yorker out today in the rain.... why you ask?? To test the wipers of course.

God... are cars today boring or what?

Also took some clients out for lunch in it....crossing myself that nothing would break or otherwise malfunction to embarrass me.

Nothing did and a great time was had by all.

At one point, one of the party asked what problems do I have for gas.

I told him I bought it, put it in and burned it no problem.

So.... no hurricane for us in South Florida yesterday. I woke up and filled the cars with gas at the station at 6:00 am before I realized that the storm track had moved. Well, they all needed filling.....

And the saga continues.....

The NYB has been running kind of shitty at start up and during transition to operating temp. So, with no hurricane to prepare for, I decided to look into some minor issues with the NYB.

Cold start up was sure, though it ran rough for the first 3 seconds or so. Traced it to a minor crack at the phenolic base on the Thermoquad that seeped fuel overnight and drained the bowl on the right side. It took three seconds to fill the bowl and set things to right in the carb.... but I needed to do it.

391BE511-46C0-4E2E-ACE2-ECBACA3B6B54.jpeg

You can just make them out in this picture.... not much but enough.

0680A6FC-77F0-4DCB-A735-45BB3F4451D1.jpeg

Patient wife allowed me to work in air conditioned comfort....

All better now.

Also took the opportunity to check the resistance in the ignition wires and found one that was higher than the others per foot at over 100 ohms (number 8 cylinder). Swapped it for one in my stash.

Pulled all the plugs to check them after about 6000 miles on it since the big refurb last year.
I had forgotten that the number two plug was a Champion RJ12YC after I found that one of the Mopar P-35XP in the pack of eight I bought had a cracked porcelain insulator. The one Champion was pretty well fouled in comparison to the Mopar plugs. I guess originality has its benefits. I think the Mopar plugs are hotter. Numbers 7 & 8 plugs were wet with oil making me think the valve stem seals need changing... but that will happen, hopefully in the fall, when I pull the heads.

Went on line and found a guy with the original Mopar P-35PX’s for sale on EBay at $18 and bought two sets. He has more if anyone is interested.

CF2D6744-0D79-42BB-9BFD-551EC166C61C.jpeg

While searching the stash, ran across a pair of hood bumpers so I said: “what the hell” and on they went.

506482BD-92DD-40F8-AD83-D022ED76BED9.jpeg

It’s a million little things.

View attachment 314520

Last edited:
Merry Christmas!!!!

Tomorrow marks the second year that this particular NYB came under my care. Lots happened since..... both to the the car and in my life. Mostly good.

Met and got to know many great people here.

Merry Christmas to all !!!!!!!!!!

I usually don,t like silver cars but that red interior makes the exterior color really striking.Amazing car.Once you take someone for a ride in a fusey or formal they always want to be driven around in it.she probably loves it.Keep us posted.B.B

Back