New to me 78 NYB on its way but please Don't tell my wife

Corona virus house projects have kept me busy. Luckily, I can escape to the shop occasionally.

I took the car in for an alignment check. It was wearing the inner sides of the tread.

Needs new upper and lower control arm bushings. Ball joints are still good and look like they were replaced just prior to my stewardship. I had done the tie rod ends about 6 months prior.

So it should be good.

Going to rebuild the front brakes I think. Will start with a good bleed first. Right side is engaging harder and pulling. Worse after a bit of highway like the last time I saw Commando1. Last long trip

Here she is up on the rack.

408221FC-3471-4B78-A7D3-38124CB53AF5.jpeg

4B022989-5018-490A-B930-31B273E0FFF7.jpeg

Corona virus house projects have kept me busy. Luckily, I can escape to the shop occasionally.

I took the car in for an alignment check. It was wearing the inner sides of the tread.

Needs new upper and lower control arm bushings. Ball joints are still good and look like they were replaced just prior to my stewardship. I had done the tie rod ends about 6 months prior.

So it should be good.

Going to rebuild the front brakes I think. Will start with a good bleed first. Right side is engaging harder and pulling. Worse after a bit of highway like the last time I saw Commando1. Last long trip

Here she is up on the rack.

View attachment 370066

View attachment 370067
Speaking of upper and lower control arm bushings, where do you get your parts? I need to do mine as well.

wow!!!! Do you know how to use it??? Let us know.B.B
No... not yet but it doesn’t look too hard or bad. We set the alignment per the the FSM so it should be fine. Very precise machine.

I’ll put up some pictures of the front end and how she sits when I get her down. We’re centering the steering wheel now while we wait for calipers and lines.

Last edited:
Something to think about...
I got my rotors from RA for cheap money expecting to have to return them.
They were beautiful American made ( :wideyed: ) pieces.
The calipers which came -packed were perfect also.

Looking to change calipers and rubber brake lines now. So thanks!

Finished front end on Thursday. Today was brakes and calipers.

she rides like you’re in a cloud. All the little squeaks and groans are now gone too.

5879716B-6F33-44F4-BA8A-5CA0B019F35E.jpeg

new front brake hoses

3632EA40-7EB0-4ED2-AE7F-7D155A8C9A04.jpeg

new calipers

9DDF63A8-6E73-4C2C-BC91-1E8714E2F144.jpeg

front suspension showing inner wear on tires. Camber and toe in now holding as set. May replace the front tires sooner than later. They are relatively cheap.

A5F8B64B-D6A3-495C-A22C-ACA51A97C6D7.jpeg

Front brakes with new upper and lower ball joints. Said I wasn’t going to do it but I had it all apart and “what the hell”!

no more wandering and only the slightest drift to the right from the crown of the road. Just holding it picks up the drift. Very happy!!!!

Last edited:
Here she sits now with the new front suspension and having taken out the replacement front Windsheild out of the trunk..... finally.

image.jpg

Little proud at the front but even.

Last edited:
You know what? This is one of thr few cars design wise where silver looks great.Most cars shapes wash out with silver,but these formals look great.That interior matches lovely.Keep working at her she looks great.B.B

Here she sits now with the new front suspension and having take out the replacement front Windsheild out of the trunk..... finally.

View attachment 371383

Little proud at the front but even.
Run her for a few weeks, she may settle a touch more. She's looking good, and now I don't feel so bad about how many weeks I hauled that dash pad around :lol:

Javier, thank you for letting me sit back and letting you obsess over the NYB. It's quite refreshing for me not to have to worry about, "What's it gonna be now?". :lol:

Run her for a few weeks, she may settle a touch more. She's looking good, and now I don't feel so bad about how many weeks I hauled that dash pad around :lol:
Lol! Every time I went over a bump, my ******* puckered as I remembered that I had a Windsheild in the trunk.

It’s now in storage along with a spare windshield for my Citroën.

Last edited:
Finished front end on Thursday. Today was brakes and calipers.

she rides like you’re in a cloud. All the little squeaks and groans are now gone too.

View attachment 371379

new front brake hoses

View attachment 371380

new calipers

View attachment 371381

front suspension showing inner wear on tires. Camber and toe in now holding as set. May replace the front tires sooner than later. They are relatively cheap.

View attachment 371382

Front brakes with new upper and lower ball joints. Said I wasn’t going to do it but I had it all apart and “what the hell”!

no more wandering and only the slightest drift to the right from the crown of the road. Just holding it picks up the drift. Very happy!!!!
Javier I wanted to ask, I’ll be digging into my upper and lower Ball joints soon. Do need to take tension off the torsion bars at all? Or just put the car on jack stands and do it to it?

No, you need to release the tension completely and remove the rear retainer clip in the socket that holds the bar forward and in place before you remove the lower control arm. The torsion bar should then slide toward the rear. The FSM describes the process in detail.

I’m assuming you will be changing the bushings as well. I did.

Good luck!

If I may interject. Ball joints only no, bushings yes. But if your doing the bushings you might as well change the ball joints also, way easier when the arms are out.

Back