NEW Yorker NEW interior

How well are these molded carpet sets fitting? My upholstery guy said that SMS sources their carpets form Auto___, is this correct?

wouldn't surprise me...think they farm out the headliners as well...

Haven't got much done the last few days. Still dealing with a bad pinched nerve in my neck. Saw the chiropractor today. But I scored a new map light out of the 66 300 parts car that's going to DD. Put it in today. Pretty stoked on the little accomplishment today. Soon I'll be scoring a floor pan out of a Monaco to replace the rotten passenger side floor pan.

IMG_3344.JPG

Made some progress this week. Got as much of the rust off the roof and pillars as I could and got two coats of Rustoleum rusty metal metal primer on the roof. Earlier in the week I got the passenger floor pan out of a 66 Monaco that was being scrapped out after being derby'd and was in surprisingly in decent shape. I can probably flatten it out a little better and by the time carpets in it'll be good enough.
IMG_3372.JPG
IMG_3373.JPG
image.jpg

SMS farms out everything...

Took me a year and 3 different vinyl tops before I got something close to what I ordered.

The first vinyl top they sent was for a 69 Charger...

3256.jpeg

Made some progress this week. Got as much of the rust off the roof and pillars as I could and got two coats of Rustoleum rusty metal metal primer on the roof. Earlier in the week I got the passenger floor pan out of a 66 Monaco that was being scrapped out after being derby'd and was in surprisingly in decent shape. I can probably flatten it out a little better and by the time carpets in it'll be good enough. View attachment 119176 View attachment 119177 View attachment 119178

Looks good.

Your pics are giving me deja vu.

All over again.

Keep after it. That first ride in a new interior will make it all worth it.

Thanks for the update.

John

Looks good.

Your pics are giving me deja vu.

All over again.

Keep after it. That first ride in a new interior will make it all worth it.

Thanks for the update.

John
Thanks for all the great info John. I'll miss the old car smell but I'm looking forward to the new old car smell.

I know this isn't part of the interior rebuild but today I decided to mess with the windshield washer stuff. The 66 Newport had a bottle that was in great condition so I cleaned it up the other morning before work and put it in the 65. Then I started cleaning out the spray nozzles under the cowl, soaked them in vinegar and baking soda for a bit as I took the out the pump to see if it was good. The one in the 65 had the broken outlet to the nozzles so I went to the 66 and pulled that pump. Bench tested them both and it took a lot of penetrating fluid and fudging with to get them to spin. The 66 pump didn't bench test, I guess it was dead so I took the inlet and outlet thingy out and riveted it into the working pump. Got it all put back together and tested it out. Sure enough I have a working windshield washing system again. Pretty happy about today's project. I probably won't use them much but it's cool to know the system works

IMG_3374.JPG
IMG_3376.JPG
IMG_3377.JPG
IMG_3378.JPG
IMG_3379.JPG

Nice. I need to do my my system as well. Pat, have you decided on what materials you're going to wind up using?

Nice. I need to do my my system as well. Pat, have you decided on what materials you're going to wind up using?
I'm still trying to find an upholster to do the seats. I think I'm going with stock interiors for the headliner and carpet. I just emailed them about the headliner.

Does anyone have or know where I can get these? Or have any ideas how to clean them up? Need about 20 of them. Don't know when but I think when I do the seat covers I'm gonna order some extra vinyl and redo the door panels. Trying to source these out
IMG_3386.JPG

Got my dash pad yesterday from 66newyorker. Thanks buddy. Was redone by just dashes, painted it blue yesterday, originally black, with the rustoleum vinyl paint. I was always happy with rustoleums products so I'm really keeping my fingers crossed the paint holds up. Going to put her in tonight
IMG_3388.JPG

Hey Pat, if you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost to have your dash redone?

Does anyone have or know where I can get these? Or have any ideas how to clean them up? Need about 20 of them. Don't know when but I think when I do the seat covers I'm gonna order some extra vinyl and redo the door panels. Trying to source these out
View attachment 120063
I just checked mine and they're made of a ferrous metal so I assume they are plated (crome or nickle). I would start out with ultra fine steel wool and some cleaner/lubricant like WD40 and just start polishing, only getting more aggressive when necessary so as to not rub through. I have no idea where you could source any replacements if you are missing some.

Hey Pat, if you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost to have your dash redone?

I just checked mine and they're made of a ferrous metal so I assume they are plated (crome or nickle). I would start out with ultra fine steel wool and some cleaner/lubricant like WD40 and just start polishing, only getting more aggressive when necessary so as to not rub through. I have no idea where you could source any replacements if you are missing some.
I didn't have the dash redone. Guy I bought it from did. But I know it ain't cheap

Looks good. I may have forgotten or missed it but what are your plans for the radio?

Few updates:

Well I was more than happy with a new dash pad and having painted it blue but the paint I used for it was just a little TOO blue. I thought about matching the rest of the interior colors but I just didn't like the look of the light blue and wood grain dash and super blue pad. So I got some dark blue vinyl dye from VHT, removed the pad and painted it again. Much better and closer to what it would have originally looked like. I also jumped the gun on installing the pad the first time because I wanted to put two 4" speakers in the dash grille. So I fabricated a speaker mount from some 5/8 plywood and 3/16 Masonite and got that in this time around.

I finally found an upholster to do the seat covers and door panels. He said he's not available until July but that's alright with me. I got plenty of other things to do. I wanted to do the headliner myself but I was worried that I would buy something and run the risk that it might not fit correctly and this guy said he makes the headliners himself so I'm tossing around the idea of having him do it as well.

Next on the list is the package tray since original owner cut out the speaker grills to put aftermarket speakers in it. I'll mount new 6x9 speakers under the tray so it looks original. And I still have to do the floor pan on the passenger side. Picked up some hardwood floor underlayment from work that's about 3/16 thick with foil on one side and pressed jute on the top side. That'll go under the carpet. I'll post pictures tonight

Kinda hard to tell the color change of the dash but it's night and day the difference. I'm much happier with it
IMG_3419.JPG
IMG_3421.JPG
IMG_3420.JPG

Back