Newport in the woods ...

I worked at Sears while going to College. A man brought back his dryer saying it didn't work and wouldn't dry his clothes. He said it did at first but then stopped; it still ran but would not dry. He wanted his money back or a new dryer. Since he brought it in I took a look. I opened the door, looked around, then attempted to remove the lent filter. I had to fight it out because it was so plugged with lent! I said "Sir, this is the problem. There's nothing worn with your machine." Next thing you know the guy is storming downstairs to scream at the Store Manager because this dumb-*** salesman was trying to tell him it was his fault the dryer would not dry his clothes.

He and the Manager came back up. I pointed out the problem; Manager ordered me to return the guy's money.

I never understood that until I learned that dryers did not always have lent filters. Apparently, this guy had never owned one.

But it was still my fault! Sheesh!
I would have to have your side in this one... I assume the manager was reacting to the latest crap handed down about keeping the customer happy. on another day he might have been on your side.

Over the last few decades (my career), if you walked into a sears with broken tools while wearing a work uniform, there was maybe a 50/50 chance you would be told "they are not for professional use" and be denied.
I've never personally seen this in Canadian Simpson-Sears stores, but it probably isn't such a bad thing after all most product warranty agreements exclude commercial use. Even so, there are a lot of guys using Craftsman tools and getting them replaced when they break or wear out. Snap-on has always been a great tool maker, I just couldn't afford to own any.

I've never personally seen this in Canadian Simpson-Sears stores, but it probably isn't such a bad thing after all most product warranty agreements exclude commercial use. Even so, there are a lot of guys using Craftsman tools and getting them replaced when they break or wear out. Snap-on has always been a great tool maker, I just couldn't afford to own any.
Snapon has always been the top tool, IMO, but really don't make sense for a home user to purchase. If you are using the tools hard everyday... it wouldn't make sense not to buy them. All of the pro tool companies offer similar warranties and service on hand tools... having tools from a company you can find a dealer for is vital when you need it replaced now. Snapon has more trucks on the road than everyone else combined... more or less. There have been issues for every manufacturer out there... I think they all have done something to tighten up or cheapen up their products. I know snapon went through huge growing pains when they moved all of their hand tool production around the country... but they are still made here at least.

It's getting near impossible to buy Made in Canada or Made in the USA anymore. Doesn't matter whether its tools, clothing or even food, it seems it's all imported.

I don't know about Canada but if you do a little research, you can still find a small number of USA made items. You can find directories on several websites if you just type in "made in USA".

I have a cool warranty story for you guys. I purchased a Blackhawk 1/2" drive ratchet years ago to break loose CV axle nuts on a car I owned back then. I did not own a breaker bar at the time, and used a pipe for leverage on it to get them loose. This thing practically exploded one day when doing a similar job, and I brought it back to the store to have it replaced. Before long, I destroyed that one the same way. Upon returning the second one, I was told by the store owner that they no longer carried that brand of tools. It sat in pieces in my tool box for a few years. One day, I was on the Internet and decided to look up the Blackhawk tool company to see if they were still in business. I found out that they had been bought by a company called "Proto". I got an address, wrote them a letter explaining what happened, and mailed them the ratchet. I never really expected to hear from them. A little over a week later, I noticed a small package wedged in my screen door after coming home from work. I opened it up, and it was a brand spankin' new Proto 1/2" drive ratchet. I have spent the last 11 years beating the snot out of the handle of this thing with a hand sledge (cracking large fasteners loose), putting huge pipes on it for leverage, and getting more mileage out of it than some cars I've owned. The knurls on the handle are totally worn off in some spots. If you're looking for a bomb-proof ratchet, I recommend this one.

I have a cool warranty story for you guys. I purchased a Blackhawk 1/2" drive ratchet years ago to break loose CV axle nuts on a car I owned back then. I did not own a breaker bar at the time, and used a pipe for leverage on it to get them loose. This thing practically exploded one day when doing a similar job, and I brought it back to the store to have it replaced. Before long, I destroyed that one the same way. Upon returning the second one, I was told by the store owner that they no longer carried that brand of tools. It sat in pieces in my tool box for a few years. One day, I was on the Internet and decided to look up the Blackhawk tool company to see if they were still in business. I found out that they had been bought by a company called "Proto". I got an address, wrote them a letter explaining what happened, and mailed them the ratchet. I never really expected to hear from them. A little over a week later, I noticed a small package wedged in my screen door after coming home from work. I opened it up, and it was a brand spankin' new Proto 1/2" drive ratchet. I have spent the last 11 years beating the snot out of the handle of this thing with a hand sledge (cracking large fasteners loose), putting huge pipes on it for leverage, and getting more mileage out of it than some cars I've owned. The knurls on the handle are totally worn off in some spots. If you're looking for a bomb-proof ratchet, I recommend this one.

That is and for a long time has been owned by stanley tools... same folks behind mac tools. I'm glad you didn't throw it out and have had good service from the replacement. I have a large collection of craftsman ratchets... I never gave all of them away... they accumulate until I feel like dealing with the sears folks... thing is, the newer ones break way easier than the older ones did. My Snap On stuff is too valuable to me... Those I plan to keep. I own very little mac.

That is and for a long time has been owned by stanley tools... same folks behind mac tools. I'm glad you didn't throw it out and have had good service from the replacement. I have a large collection of craftsman ratchets... I never gave all of them away... they accumulate until I feel like dealing with the sears folks... thing is, the newer ones break way easier than the older ones did. My Snap On stuff is too valuable to me... Those I plan to keep. I own very little mac.
You own Stanley's tools? Is he aware of that? Hey, Commando!!!!

I felt kinda bad later... I didn't mean to hurt her feelings... some people change the subject when they get upset... neither of us apparently had that ability. I'm sure she has been making men miserable ever since.

Over the last few decades (my career), if you walked into a sears with broken tools while wearing a work uniform, there was maybe a 50/50 chance you would be told "they are not for professional use" and be denied. I have seen it in 2 states and maybe 5-6 different stores... sears deserved to become kmart after killing their own brand values (kenmore, craftsman...)

During my whole 10 months on a snapon truck. I made my schedule so I could sit in the truck outside of the sears auto shop (1 customer... and he didn't buy much) for lunch hour 12-1pm one day a week. I had a number of guys doing construction or home users who liked finding me there right after the sears guy pissed them off. They kept asking me to move farther from the store, but the little following continued to grow... I thought it was neat.

is easier to keep a customer than it is to get them back

Back