Noisy Headlight doors SLAM shut

Blue 300

Reaction score
Okay, I love my 68 300. Great looks, great ride, and everything works short of the am radio.
Even the head light doors open correctly on command. No droopy eyelids here.
So I'm driving into a car show at the James Dean Festival and since theres a bit a drizzling rain that morning I had my head lights on.
I carefully weave my car into place put it in park and then KA-WHAM !
I turn off the head lights. It sounds like I ran into a car or at least a trash can. I mean every pair of eyes was upon me there. Not the kind of entrance I would like to make.
Any ideas on how best to quiet the door drop?

much thanks.

It's all in the motor.
Sounds like resistance is wearing out and ready to fail.
Just like a light bulb that suddenly gets brighter and then blows...

Hmmm, that sounds expensive. Only motor I have seen so far was on ebay for $270
yikes.
I wonder if I could have someone rewind the existing motor?

Hmmm, that sounds expensive. Only motor I have seen so far was on ebay for $270
yikes.
I wonder if I could have someone rewind the existing motor?
Don't panic yet. Wait to see if it does fail. If it then does fail, you can open the doors manually and leave them open by turning the knob at the base of the motor.
Then figure out what you want to do.

Aha,
There, in the box of extra stuff. I have an extra motor! Maybe I get lucky and it works.
I will let you know in a few days after I get my other rear axle project done.

well ... to tell you the truth, I havent even looked yet. But these lights dont just come down they're dropped like a hot rock.

hidden headlight doors

KA-WHAM !
I turn off the head lights.
Any ideas on how best to quiet the door drop?

My 69 300 does that too. They didn't work at all when I got the car but I located a loose connector at the relay and ...WA-LA". They open smooth and with no effort... but when I turn the lights off..... Well.... don't stick your hand in there. I was thinking some rubber bumpers or a spring might help.

A spring is a great idea. And of course replacing the rubber bumpers.
thanks

I've owned 6 68 300's and drove 3 quite a bit in the past. I agree with the last post, check your rubber stops. Even when everything is as it should be these things give a thud when opened or closed. The headlight doors on these things are probably double the weight of the mid to late 70's New Yorker or Imperials.

Back