Not a C but very bizarre...65 Coronet 383HP 3-speed for sale in PA

PH27L7

Reaction score
Saw this on local CL this morning, can't be many of these around.
1965 Coronet - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale

1965 Coronet - $20000 (Friedens
Well maintained 2 door classic 1965 Coronet. Original owner..59,895 org. miles...383 Big Block Wedge W/ "3 on the tree" manual transmission. Garage kept since 1965...last inspected 1980...Recently tuned and detailed at Saylor Motors in Somerset, Pa where it was originally ordered and purchased...Serious Inquiries...
65 coronet 1.jpg
65 coronet 2.jpg
65 coronet 3.jpg
65 coronet 4.jpg
65 coronet 5.jpg
65 coronet 6.jpg
65 coronet 7.jpg
65 coronet 8.jpg
65 coronet 9.jpg

In a '71 "Motor Trend" group test, they did a '71 Super Bee with the 3-spd manual trans. Seems that the gear ratios in THAT 3-spd trans are very close to those of the TorqueFlite. Possibly a similar situation here? NIce car, interesting car.

CBODY67

That would defeat the point of having a nice bench on which three people can sit, would it not?
I can't remember a time when I had three abreast up front.
And having your date sit next to you is a PITA whether it's on the column or on the floor. Drive now, ride later... :rolleyes:

Would it be allowed the that I move the shifter to the floor.
As in Day 2 "correct"?
That would change the character of the car.
I get that all the time with my wagon and the answer is always no.
The Coronet is so original cutting a hole in the floor and original rubber floor mat is not an option.

Last edited:
Seems that the gear ratios in THAT 3-spd trans are very close to those of the TorqueFlite. Possibly a similar situation here?
I can tell you from driving my 3 on da tree wagon it does have similar gearing to a 727,
First gear is very short.
But Second gear is a wide ratio. I can put-put around town as low as 15 MPH in traffic without having to gear down. I usually hit Third at 30/40 MPH depending on traffic. At WOT in Second is good for 70!!
Third gear is direct drive just like a 727.
Reverse is not syncronized,BTW

Last edited:
I can tell you from driving my 3 on da tree wagon it does have similar gearing to a 727,
First gear is very short.
But Second gear is a wide ratio. I can put-put around town as low as 15 MPH in traffic without having to gear down. I usually hit Third at 30/40 MPH depending on traffic. At WOT in Second is good for 70!!
Third gear is direct drive just like a 727.
Reverse is not syncronized,BTW

Clean the steering wheel.

The Coronet is so original cutting a hole in the floor and original carpet is not an option.
It actually has rubber floor mats which are virtually unobtainable. Correct me if I'm wrong but the 3-speed in this car differs a lot from those used in 70's which had more in common with the A833 4-speed. I drove a '65 slant 3-speed Belvedere for a number of years. They have a non-synchro 1st gear, takes a little getting used to but works well with a little skill. With manual steering & brakes, the Coronet is definitely not for the self-driving car crowd but would be lots of fun IMHO.

Let’s not cut up 55year old original cars. Anybody know how to decode the tag for engine and trans?

Reverse non synchronized is true. Just like the 833 4 speed.

Make a list of the vehicles made in the 60’s-70’s that has a synchronized reverse. It’s a trick.

IMO that car is not worth less with a transplant 833 in it and it's a lot more satisfying to drive

IMO that car is not worth less with a transplant 833 in it and it's a lot more satisfying to drive
Final drive in the 3spd and 4spd is direct drive.
In city traffic I can do without the extra gear lol
Unless you play with the OD unit from the mid late 70's.

Final drive in the 3spd and 4spd is direct drive.
In city traffic I can do without the extra gear lol
Unless you play with the OD unit from the mid late 70's.
I appreciate your gear jammin video but that's not my definition of satisfying :thumbsup:

I quite enjoyed your little drive Lea...Thanks for making the vid and posting it. Was this made before you had the front end bushings done recently?

My father in-law had a 65 426/4speed same color as this. We sold it 6 years ago. This one is in much nicer shape.

Back