0D564390-02FA-4F69-9AF5-7EEDB8700724.png
5E4879D9-7F5E-49DF-AEDD-10A9D1AD6618.png
3B0E4249-3352-43B4-B0E5-9D023FFF335F.png
9B22DD05-5658-4BC3-93DD-251A3BD38399.png
56632E58-F98C-4F27-8BC5-6101890A5EA8.png
DC2FE768-2B85-4D4F-80D1-625C4C91F72F.png
EE17D85F-6921-4CCB-BEDD-B909786FDA52.png
1E53D89D-B000-4966-83E1-5EFE597138C5.png

Cars seem to be in good condition for Canadian vehicles, although it is hard to tell about the undersides. As stated, that 300 is well optioned it appears, with power disc brakes, cruise control, tilt wheel, power windows but no a/c as usual for Canadian cars. Black is a good color for those. Seats have been recovered it appears. Too bad no original engine/trans for the 300. 383s aren't much good for a 300, so why would anyone buy both of them?

Cars seem to be in good condition for Canadian vehicles, although it is hard to tell about the undersides. As stated, that 300 is well optioned it appears, with power disc brakes, cruise control, tilt wheel, power windows but no a/c as usual for Canadian cars. Black is a good color for those. Seats have been recovered it appears. Too bad no original engine/trans for the 300. 383s aren't much good for a 300, so why would anyone buy both of them?
If the 383 runs, it's good for putting in the 300 so you can drive it around and work the bugs out of it, while you plan for something better?

If the 383 runs, it's good for putting in the 300 so you can drive it around and work the bugs out of it, while you plan for something better?

For me, I would rather spend the money for the second car on a correct 440 engine for the convertible and avoid changing the engine out a second time if using the 383 for awhile.

Interesting, what are we looking at if those aren't condensers?? maybe some sort of auxillary trans coolers?? I assumed the compressor was just MIA.
If you look closely you can see the smaller heater box on the fire wall , it’s a non A/C car . I think your correct , it must be a trans cooler . Did those cars come with a heavy duty trailering option ?

It does look like an oil cooler on the 300, but the Newport looks like it has an a/c condenser on its radiator core support in much the same way. Normally, unless special ordered, non a/c cars came with the 22 in. radiator and core support. But the core supports in both cars look to be the wider 26" ones. So it looks like the owner wanted the wider radiators and had to get core supports from an a/c car in both cases to make them work as intended and didn't bother to remove the a/c condenser on the Newport, but did on the 300 (but keeping the oil cooler and removing the condenser to make the oil cooler more effective)? Kind of weird. I know down here in California, the 22" cores were pretty much useless in keeping B engines cool in hot weather. The cooling lab in those days wouldn't spend a dime to give the cars any extra cooling margin. But the manager of that department got promoted for saving money compared to former managers. And the customers suffered. I watched in the early 70s as other managers did much the same thing and by the time of the formals, it was rampant. But the customer went to other brands for clear reasons and Chrysler went bankrupt in 1980 much for this very reason.

You know, kind of like politics today where the politicians follow the money rather than taking care of business and doing what is best for us. But we continue to let them get away with it because we are not watching close enough and voting accordingly. But I digress.......

Last edited:
I know down here in California, the 22" cores were pretty much useless in keeping B engines cool in hot weather

Thanks for the info, it all makes sense to me. I had a '71 NY, with AC and the big 26" core support and HD radiator. That car developed huge overheating issues if it lost the rubber strips from the core support forward (cant remember exact name) that channeled air from the grille into the core support. Funny the grille looks huge to me, and the bumper looks like it should practically suck air right in, lol. Seems to me the shroud broke once too, and had to be replaced immediately for the same reasons.

Last edited:
But the manager of that department got promoted for saving money compared to former managers. And the customers suffered.

Its hard these days to wrap your head around building a vehicle for under $7k, but there certainly were some nice rides being built for half that in those days so go figure..... Theres zero difference in cost for a 26" core over a 22", so the radiator itself must have cost pennies more in production... Id wager the smart thing would have been make them all 26" and drive the cost down further but bean counters would disagree. Chrysler certainly must have had some buying power, right?

Its hard these days to wrap your head around building a vehicle for under $7k, but there certainly were some nice rides being built for half that in those days so go figure..... Theres zero difference in cost for a 26" core over a 22", so the radiator itself must have cost pennies more in production... Id wager the smart thing would have been make them all 26" and drive the cost down further but bean counters would disagree. Chrysler certainly must have had some buying power, right?

Brass and copper are expensive, and the volumes of each radiator were not that large to generate economies of scale from large volumes. Hence, they thrifted as much or more than they could. I saw the test results at the proving grounds when I was on assigment there for 4 months and they were really bad, especially compared to GM vehicles. The manager at the time of the cooling lab just didn't care and he got away with it.

I agree, I cannot wrap my head around that the 26" core is the same cost as a 22".
No manufacturer is going to give you more of their raw materials as a gift, certainly not brass and copper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back