For Sale NOT MINE 1969 Plymouth Sport Fury convertible for sale MECUM AUCTIONS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice 69 Sport Fury convertible - seems well done except for the wheel centers not being correct. I would add disc brakes, but it does have the 3 speaker stereo dash that I really like.

This car does remind me of just how much I really do not like the appearance of most cars with fender skirts on them - really ruins the balance in their styling and makes them look tail heavy. But at least that is an easy fix.

Hope if does well $$ wise, and that might help Trev get a good return on his very desirable, very similar convertible too that I really like a lot more overall with its unique powerplant.

Last edited:
Beautiful car
So tell me o great car critic what centers is the car supposed to have?
Why don't you post a picture and edumacate us dumbfolk?
You should buy it and fix it's problems for all mankind:lol:

Beautiful car
So tell me o great car critic what centers is the car supposed to have?
Why don't you post a picture and edumacate us dumbfolk?
You should buy it and fix it's problems for all mankind:lol:
To all the dumbfolk as requested...

00h0h_73gj388nx1n_600x450-jpg.jpg

The reason Steve would never buy a Formal is that there probably is not one out there that can pass his scrutiny... :lol:

Last edited:
Very nice 69 Sport Fury convertible - seems well done except for the wheel centers not being correct. I would add disc brakes, but it does have the 5 speaker stereo dash that I really like.

This car does remind me of just how much I really do not like the appearance of most cars with fender skirts on them - really ruins the balance in their styling and makes them look tail heavy. But at least that is an easy fix.

Hope if does well $$ wise, and that might help Trev get a good return on his very desirable, very similar convertible too that I really like a lot more overall with its unique powerplant.

The C Body road wheels were not offered until 1970 so this car should have either recall wheels or full wheel covers to be correct but I wouldn't change the wheels as they look great on the car.

The C Body road wheels were not offered until 1970 so this car should have either recall wheels or full wheel covers to be correct but I wouldn't change the wheels as they look great on the car.
I couldn’t have said it better my self !! It’s jewellery on the car that takes 15 minutes to change if so desired . My car has had a set of those on it for 30 years now so I may be a bit bias but these cars look good with the mopar bling on them .

I agree completely. Fender skirts belong on formals and Imperials not much else. Definitely not on Forward Looks and not on this car.
Also, I'm not sure if it's the fender skirts on this car making it look like the front end sits too high, or he has the torsion bars cranked up. Either way it's not for me i like the stock look. Other than that is gorgeous!

I agree for Fusies but like the look on Slabs. All the same this car is a beauty as is.

I noticed the Bucket seats have no headrests, were they not a mandated safety feature yet or a dealer ordered option ?

USSMOPAR can't seem to distinguish between opinion and criticism. He seems to have a continuous axe to grind, but it has become quite dull over time. Thank you Dave for your clear on point use of the word "pounce".

If one is going to put road wheels on a 1969 model, why not at least put on the early versions was the intent of my comment, as I do like the look of them on 1969 models even if they weren't available from the factory in that year. If it were me though, I would try to put on a set of the recall wheels (but the repop versions that aren't so expensive as the very rare originals and look close enough).

I did say "in most cases" regarding fender skirts, as I fully agree with Fred, that on the slabsides, without them, the cars are incomplete and look as such. One of my favorite looking cars is a slabside, a 1965 Chrysler 300L, and it has them. I like fenderskirts on a slabside because they don't manage to make the rear end look so heavy but rather they just complete the design IMO mostly because you can still see more than half the tire - here is my favorite image of one that I really find gorgeous and really close in overall desireability to my preference for fuselage cars:

black-300l-jpg.jpg

As for formals, they are not my preferred styling taste, but I do realize fully that others with different tastes prefer very elegant designs over very stylish/fluid lines and for them, the formals are just right. In the mid-70s Formals were the rage in Detroit and Chrysler was square in the middle of the change in direction of styling.

My beef with Formals are the Lean Burn systems that were a fatal flaw in them and the reality that Chrysler was on a crusade to cut costs to improve profits when the balance sheets were looking very bad, and indeed the corporation ended up in bankruptcy circa 1980 in large part from what I was observing since I was working for them in engineering at the time and saw the decline in quality of components first hand. Too much flimsy plastic in the interiors, cheapened components (especially the electrical ones and endless complaints from the field from customers really pissed at the constant problems the cars gave to their customers even when new that dealers could not keep up with or resolve). But their concept, intent and looks were just fine for those who prefer the more formal or elegant styling and the interiors did get some money spent on them in terms of "over the top" lounge seats with a lot of tufting to give that elegant look consistent with the rest of the car. They were also very quiet to ride in and rode very steady down the road, feeling like they were crushing any inconsistencies in the pavement, rather than allowing them to penetrate the passenger compartment. That is a real hallmark of a luxury car and the Formals satisfied in that respect.

The intent and look of the cars was just fine for those who prefer that look, but in a word, it was the "execution" of the cars that killed them and formed my view of them. They are fine to look at and ride in but they would not be my first choice to own because of the quality issues. The gas crisis of that era also didn't help things relative to their sales.

Happy New Decade!!!

Last edited:
I happen to like all the MOPARS that came with factory skirts with the exception of one Orange '70 Sport Fury S/23 that has skirts that as I recall were special ordered as they were not an available option on the S/23 & GT Furies. They don't look right on an S/23 IMHO.

Note that Plymouth did not offer skirts on any '67 Fury after offering them on '65 & '66 Furies but that they were back for '68 as a popular option but their popularity seamed to decline with the fuselage body style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back