Number of vents in fuel tank?

SPF Required

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Beginning to look like I will need a new fuel tank for the ‘68 300. Looks like Vans Auto is a good supplier at a great price (with free shipping thru EBay).

Curious though if anyone can tell me how many vents I need in the tank? Seems like 2, but there is also a 4 vent option.

Thanks!

It would be easiest to look at your car and see how many vents it has. Typically California Emission cars had the 4 vents.

I would also check to see where VANS is getting those tanks made. Spectra tanks have a very good reputation and are made in North America. If you search ebay you should be able to find a good source for them. If not Rock Auto usually has a great price on these. Some of the aftermarket tanks I have seen have been horrible.

Dave

I agree with Dave that the California tanks typically have 4 vent lines.

A couple of years ago I bought my replacement tank for my 68 NYer from Vans. I called and asked who made it they said it is made for them. I cannot say where it was made it, but it fit like a glove. I had zero fitment issues with it. Keep your old sending unit lock ring though. The new ones don't work.

Beginning to look like I will need a new fuel tank for the ‘68 300. Looks like Vans Auto is a good supplier at a great price (with free shipping thru EBay).

Curious though if anyone can tell me how many vents I need in the tank? Seems like 2, but there is also a 4 vent option.

Thanks!

Unless your vehicle has the California emission package, it will probably have just a vented fuel cap in 1968. Some models have an expansion tube that is mounted on the passenger side next to the quarter panel inside of the trunk, this has an additional hose hooked to it. I would suggest pulling the tank and counting the number of hose ports, this will ensure you order the right tank.

Dave

I've been watching these tanks for over a year now, as I'll need one sometime in the future. The price doesn't vary much, whether RockAuto, an eBay seller, or JCWhitney (et al). The Spectra website and some of the auto supply websites list them for much more than RockAuto or many eBay sellers. Look for the best price. My suspicion is that they all come from the same supplier. Last time I looked, an eBay seller (probably Vans) had a little lower price than RockAuto and had free shipping?

In addition to keeping your old lock ring and using the existing sending unit, be sure you get a new filler neck seal (if it's not included). There should be some "insulators" under the straps, re-use those, too, or find new ones.

Also, be sure you save and re-use the existing rubber fuel line "clamp/ground strap" with the new tank. This completes the circuit so the gauge works.

CBODY67

Just an FYI there is more than one supplier of tanks. As I mentioned earlier Spectra makes the best ones. VANS I am pretty sure uses a different supplier. I would just ask them where they are made.

Spectra also makes sending units in Mexico.....VANS has theirs made in China.

I think they both have issues. I this week installed a Spectra sending unit into my Road Runner and was lucky it worked. Their gasket and snap ring fit nicely. I too am going to be buying a gas tank so I have been doing some research.

Dave

While you are doing a tank swap, toss the existing rubber fuel line that connects to the tank any buy some new hose that is fuel injection rated. It costs more but lasts longer and doesn't get eaten away by today's crappy gasoline.

I found an illustration of the ECS system in a '70 Dodge service manual. It has 4 lines, the internal expansion chamber, and a vapor separator near the tank. Other than looking under the car, and presuming that nothing under the hood had been altered, the rh breather push-in "filter" should have two additional lines on it, other than the larger one that goes to the air cleaner. In '69, they stored the vapors in the engine crankcase, which had a different set of lines on the air cleaner.

I was thinking that when I looked at Van's, they stated that their tanks were USA made. Illustrations were the same as the Spectra illustrations found other places.

From the issues with replacement sending units, a thread elsewhere in here, it would be best to clean and re-use your existing one. Seems like there are places that rebuild them? YearONE used to have a rebuilding service, I believe? Only thing to wear is the variable resistor and contacts, plus the "float" on the lever arm? So some cleaning might be all that's needed.

CBODY67

I don't know about 68 but my California 69 only has 2 vents.
This was the same for all 3 69's that I have and 2 my friend has.

Alan

Thank you for all the input guys. The car was up on the lift at the shop today and there are indeed two-vents in the tank!

I just received my new (4-vent) tank from VAN'S yesterday, along with sending unit. The tank's box was stamped with "Made in Taiwan, R.O.C.". So there you go. That's better than being made in the mainland, I think?

The tank looks very solid, heavy, with good welded seams all around. Still a bit of die grease from stamping on it.

The sender was not in a box and had no indication of where it was made. It is stainless and looks legit, though.

I got a filler next to tank grommet on ebay, the one that Vans sells is not the correct size.

I'm not sure if I really need a new sender or not - my gauge only goes up to 3/4 full, but I can't take a chance, so when I have it all out the new sender will be there in case it's the culprit. Hell, it might be just the float! I will test it out of the car.
Will post pics later on...

Check the vent lines, mine needed to be fixed.
2017-02-12_002.jpg

Alan

They heated it up real good to the point the original solder flowed and mixed in some new.
The original was a cold solder joint, they didn't get the metal or the tubes hot enough to start with.

After
2017-03-05_003.jpg

Alan

They heated it up real good to the point the original solder flowed and mixed in some new.
The original was a cold solder joint, they didn't get the metal or the tubes hot enough to start with.

After
View attachment 152947

Alan

Since my tank had gas in it by the time I discovered the vents were leaking, I had to go with a "gas tank repair" kit to fix the problem. Wish to hell I'd seen the problem earlier. . .

Since my tank had gas in it by the time I discovered the vents were leaking, I had to go with a "gas tank repair" kit to fix the problem. Wish to hell I'd seen the problem earlier. . .

I had a FULL tank, drained it and sent the tank to a radiator shop, car was down five weeks. I took advantage of that time to do some work to the bottom of the trunk pan, a repair I wasn't happy with.

Alan

I had a FULL tank, drained it and sent the tank to a radiator shop, car was down five weeks. I took advantage of that time to do some work to the bottom of the trunk pan, a repair I wasn't happy with.

Alan

Maybe, if my tank leaks again, I'll do the same thing. Really ticked me off to hafta deal with a leaking new tank.

Dang, that really BLOWS. I will have to inspect my vent holes carefully, I can't have my car down for more than a day!

Old tank is leaking from where it flexed enough from collapsing; the sheet metal fatigued and cracked. That "gas tank fix" stuff worked, though.

Dang, that really BLOWS. I will have to inspect my vent holes carefully, I can't have my car down for more than a day!

Old tank is leaking from where it flexed enough from collapsing; the sheet metal fatigued and cracked. That "gas tank fix" stuff worked, though.

Sounds like your tank was not properly vented. . .

Back