NYB Emblem Restoration

Nice work! However, I would not call this restoration as the wheel covers you show never came with coloured centres. More like customization. Seeing how nice they look, maybe they should have painted them.

Nice work! However, I would not call this restoration as the wheel covers you show never came with coloured centres. More like customization. Seeing how nice they look, maybe they should have painted them.
Thanks for pointing that out. I just assumed that they were painted/filled like the other emblems. Now that you mention it, back in the day my days car was also missing the red. I just thought that the sun had baked it out like many of the roof emblems. At this point I'm going to move ahead and complete them with the Crystal Clear 200. Hopefully they will look like a factory emblem. ponce I'm done I will post the photos.

A UV stable clear coat may also help protect and preserve the paint.
Did the hubcaps actually get the resin plastic? Or did they leave it painted? Thus the fading.
I added a gloss clear coat to them. I will also be adding the Crystal Clear filler to them. As mentioned above, the factory never painted or filled them. However, it I think that it gives them a finished look. I'm somewhat curious as to why the factory never did it.

Just ordered the Crystal Clear 200 from Reynolds Advanced Materials. Glenn over there was extremely helpful. He offered his help if any of us need some. You can reach him at 818-358-6000.

As for removing the air bubbles, he said that baking it is not a good option as it would speed up the set-up time and possibly cause fish eyeing. Either a torch pass over quickly or a heat gun on low air will work. He even mentioned that a match or a cigarette lighter can also be used. In addition, they also carry the paints if someone wants to tint or color the product.

Back