O gauge Trains

If I didn't already have more crap than space, I'd be raiding my dad's stash of HO goodies. He grabbed a bunch of Proto 1000 rolling stock over a decade ago, and has always been getting motive power and rolling stock throughout the years when I was growing up. Only had a loop on a table, that's the most I ever saw for a layout. He built a folding wall in our basement that was going to be an alternative, but then he and my mom decided an addition would be nice, since he got a hearty bonus at work for a project. He now had a room for.his layout! Kind of an A shaped space, to be three levels with a helix in one corner. Then he got layed off. :soapbox: :( He busted his *** for that corporation, worked a ton (60-80) of hours each and every week. This is how I learned everyone is expendable, even the guy who gets results.

So the room first got filled with boxes from work, then with other stuff, then with crap. I was hoping to help with the landscaping in the layout, to help develope my skills for dioramas, but Dad fell into a funk and started buying crap to fill the void. He still has all the stuff packed in the basement but getting to it is a challenge. I hope he clears out the mess and starts building something, he is retirement age, but still looks for work, but he should be making that layout he always wanted. Maybe I should forward this thread to him...

Thanks for letting me follow along through your ever expanding layout, Zac! And the others that have chined in, I never get tired of watching trains in action!

Ran across this on Craigslist. Maybe someone here would be interested.

Mopar Express Train

00A0A_3q8ONjS0RIF_600x450.jpg

For @monaco75. Here are my H.O. scale diesel locomotivesView attachment 288921
Above- All 3 of my diesels
View attachment 288924Above- Amtrak F40 phase 3
View attachment 288926
Above- New Haven FL9. Made by Rapido. A 5 axle diesel View attachment 288927
Above- New Haven American Locomotive Company (Alco) model RS-11. The very 1st Alco I ever bought. Made by Proto 1,000.

I love those New Havens! Thanks for sharing! I’d like to get some more New Haven stuff in the future.

If I didn't already have more crap than space, I'd be raiding my dad's stash of HO goodies. He grabbed a bunch of Proto 1000 rolling stock over a decade ago, and has always been getting motive power and rolling stock throughout the years when I was growing up. Only had a loop on a table, that's the most I ever saw for a layout. He built a folding wall in our basement that was going to be an alternative, but then he and my mom decided an addition would be nice, since he got a hearty bonus at work for a project. He now had a room for.his layout! Kind of an A shaped space, to be three levels with a helix in one corner. Then he got layed off. :soapbox: :( He busted his *** for that corporation, worked a ton (60-80) of hours each and every week. This is how I learned everyone is expendable, even the guy who gets results.

So the room first got filled with boxes from work, then with other stuff, then with crap. I was hoping to help with the landscaping in the layout, to help develope my skills for dioramas, but Dad fell into a funk and started buying crap to fill the void. He still has all the stuff packed in the basement but getting to it is a challenge. I hope he clears out the mess and starts building something, he is retirement age, but still looks for work, but he should be making that layout he always wanted. Maybe I should forward this thread to him...

Thanks for letting me follow along through your ever expanding layout, Zac! And the others that have chined in, I never get tired of watching trains in action!

Should deff go over and help him get that layout built! At least get it started. I’m sure he would thoroughly enjoy it after all this time without it.

Kinda a bummer how that worked out!

Man that came out beautifully! It looks great.

I’ve pondered picking up a standard gauge just for under the tree at Xmas, and what not.

Ran across this on Craigslist. Maybe someone here would be interested.

Mopar Express Train

View attachment 289722

There’s a Mopar switcher outfit I wouldn’t mind grabbing. A guy down in Daytona had one on Craigslist, but I never jumped on it. Had Mopar rolling stock, as well as a little model Mopar parts semi truck included. Can still find em online here and there.

I dropped off the Railking Imperial M1-A steam engine for a service. Damn electronic tether between the engine and tender has been giving me fits. Gotta love the “new” stuff.... LOL. All my modern engines have been having problems, while the 70 yr old ones keep going.

While at the shop picked up a 2 pack of UP 60’ passenger cars. I’ve only had one passenger car for the last 15 years for the Alco. It’s just been running freight whenever it was used. Need at least 1 more passenger car for it. Looks much better with them than the freight cars! Damn are these pricey though.....

20A73D5C-EBBB-4946-9D10-85821219893D.jpeg

C148AAB9-E1EF-41B4-BC10-7DF7B142F8C1.jpeg

35E76934-270E-46B7-B753-E2B1C6BA9DEA.jpeg

I rebuilt my first E unit the other day. The 2353 set was having some problems. After disassembly found one of the fingers had melted quite a bit, and a tooth on the barrel had melted/disappeared. She is running much better now!

A6597DE3-2B60-423B-9722-173B83D572AA.jpeg

E747908D-5F8B-4378-8358-19ABD275C541.jpeg

It’s a sickness I tell you! I’ve already scoped out a model train shop close to the hotel we are staying at in Carlisle to check out LOL. Older place called “The Station”. They look to have quite a bit of postwar stuff. Also planning on hitting Lionel’s shop/plant in North Carolina during the trip.

a drop of solder to "tin" the fingers of an e-unit goes a long way. A/F drums can be chucked on a drill press and cleaned with extra fine emery cloth.

I found a vendor on eBay with parts. He offers a kit that comes with all new aftermarket fingers, and original Lionel replacement barrels. I’ve heard the aftermarket parts can be iffy. But I gotta say, I’m pretty happy with these. I ordered another kit for the 2344. It may only need a good cleaning however. It’s a little temperamental switching between F/N/R. Was gonna go through it today, but been lazy. I’ve just been running it with the Unit locked in forward. Doesn’t hurt to have spare parts though! I may order one more for the EP-5. The kit is only $17 shipped.

I picked up the Steam engine yesterday. While it was apart he noticed the smoke unit needed some work as well. He ended up replacing most of the smoke unit internals. I also took my Alco back up with me. One of the wires on the new motor cam un-soldered. My guns tips aren’t quite small enough for the modern circuit boards, and I didn’t want to mess up the new motor, as it took forever to get.

Had a little late night running session. It is quite therapeutic!

the reproduction flyer parts were junk. found it necessary to repair the seventy year old o.e. parts. lionel trains were always better anyway. nice trains man. post war rules!

Spent the day on the road today. Took a long run down south to Zitnik trains. I had shipped em my Lionmaster challenger for the sound repair earlier this year. She needs more repair again. Took the time to go check em out this time vs. just shipping it to them.

What a cool little shop! Glad I went. Instead of just offering new products (which they do), they are more like a model train pawn shop. All kinds of different stuff. They had my heart beating pretty good for a minute. On the display shelf was a Texas Special F3. I ran to grab it, only to realize it is a newer Williams release. I’ve become somewhat of a postwar snob, and decided to pass on it lol.

I did manage to bring home this little 2033 Alco set, along with a couple other goodies. Seems like a great runner. I knew it was small at the shop, but didn’t realize how dainty it is till home next to it’s big brother F3’s lol.

I did manage to bring home this little 2033 Alco set, along with a couple other goodies. Seems like a great runner. I knew it was small at the shop, but didn’t realize how dainty it is till home next to it’s big brother F3’s lol.
I have a 2032 set I got for X-mas as a kid, I also picked up and repainted a set of 2033's. Both set are good runners. I have found if you run the dummy first and the powered unit next, they seem to run better. It's funny how some loco's run better backwards then forwards.

I have a 2032 set I got for X-mas as a kid, I also picked up and repainted a set of 2033's. Both set are good runners. I have found if you run the dummy first and the powered unit next, they seem to run better. It's funny how some loco's run better backwards then forwards.

I’ll have to give that a try. The EP-5 I have is the same way. Runs much better backwards.

I first tried running em on the upper track. They weren’t having any of the MTH track. They are doing great on the tubular track. They just don’t seem to have the weight to pull without magnatraction, like the F3’s can get away with on the realtrax setup.

I did also grab some new Jewels for the 2055 from them today. Waiting on the glue to cure. Looks better already.

0E97288A-5D5A-4F8E-8023-6BCD46D5C02C.jpeg

Back