Oil Leak

Shamu70

Reaction score
Hi guys. I overfilled last time I changed the oil by about a quart. Didn’t notice until yesterday that there’s some under the car. It’s off the road while I fix the brakes, but I still start it every week & let it idle/small revs.
Is it bad (obviously) to run it with a quart over?

Probably not a major deal. Considering that B/RB motors started out with 6 qt oil changes in the later 1950s. With the additional statement that some would "kick out" that first quart and then not use any for a while after that.

If you are concerned, you can get an electric extractor pump at Home Depot or Amazon to do oil changes on riding lawn mowers. About $30. USD last time I looked several years ago. Then just hook it to a battery, pump out what you desire (into a quart oil container), and you're back where you started, or would have been, normally. Save that quart of extracted oil for future use.

Your judgment call.
CBODY67

Or I’ll just unscrew the plug & let some out. About that drain plug, it’s a replacement. AND I think it might be cross threading; maybe the seal isn’t there. Going early before work tomorrow to let it idle & watch.

Yes, should be a seal on the drain plug. The most common is a white plastic seal, but newer designs are available. It could be a reddish, hard pressed paper gasket, too, if the drain plug is not OEM. You can get a GM drain plug (small block V-8) with a magnet in it, if desired. Same size threads.

CBODY67

That sounds like what I have, small magnet sticking out at the tip. Scared me the 1st time I used it & saw a shaving on it; because I cross threaded.
I’m sure it was metal from the pan.

Agreed, the over-fill is probably not the reason it's leaking, just that the more oil made it more obvious.

As to my comments about earlier B/RB engines having a 6 qt oil change, this changed for the 1965 Chryslers V-8s, apparently. When I looked at the AMA specs for the 1959 Diodge Police Special car with its 383 4bbl V-8, it noted the crankcase capacity was 5 qts + filter, just like a normal 1964 Chrysler 383. I suspect the 1965 cars had similar-depth/configuration oil pans as the earlier ones, so might it be that the later ones could tolerate a 6 qt oil change too? Just that crankcase windage would "kick out" that first quart quickly, leaving the pan with 4 quarts in it? FWIW

Running any engine just long enough "for the water to get hot" can be bad, especially in colder times of the year. Once the coolant gets up to thermostat-open temperature, there can be other areas of the engine which are not there yet, NOT to forget the automatic transmission fluid, too. So residual condensate moisture is not fully evaporated, which can also result in bad things not being cooked out of the oil sufficiently for best outcomes. Hence, the old "10 Mile Trip" orientation between "short trips" and normal operation. "Normal" being trips longer than 10 miles/starting event. And, of course, the engine needs to run long enough for the battery to regain a full charge.

Do investigate where the oil leak is coming from. It could be a failing oil pressure sending unit, an oil pan gasket which is allowing oil to wick out of it, or from an aged rear main seal. So, you might get some spray brake cleaner and clean off the gasket areas and then watch for leaks. Then following the leak to its origination point.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Oh, yummy.. crow.
Yeah, ok. So that oil under the car was caused by leaving the drain pan underneath & it got kicked, I now remember. Getting older comes with some mental lapses at times.
Alright, on to bleeding the master, installing & bleeding the system.

starting and ildiling is just increasing engine wear and ruining the oil
Plus it is even worse than driving around town as it loads up the engine with water vapor (plus exhaust system) which gets into the oil and is why you should change your oil after the car has been sitting for long periods (or take the car out for a high speed blast on the Interstate :p).
Oil adsorbs water? I never thought it would happen.

Back