Oil light came on

48dodge

Reaction score
1970 newyorker Went for a 10 minute ride
Came back to the farm yard , punched it then let off , oil light came on , and stayed on for 20 - 30 seconds. Went out . Runs fine , oil was right up, it was hot that day,
Like 36 degrees c .
Any advice?

Check what your oil pressure is when it is hot, can be the sender is on its way out but make sure the pressure is good when it is hot at idle first before changing it.

Our '72 Newport 400 2bbl did that from new. The '66 Newport 383 2bbl never did.

On my '70 Monaco 383 "N", whenever the rear wheels might hit some gravel on hard accel, the rpm would flare and the oil light would come on momentarily. Or one time I turned left when going about 35mph, it came on momentarily. Whenever it did that, I'd pop it into "N" and rev the motor a bit until the light went off, then comtinue on. When the light was "on", time seemed to stop, but it was only for about 3 seconds.

Guess the oil pump was doing its job, but the oil was not draining back quite soon enough? Or the oil pans needed more baffling? Oil was usually 10W-30 or 10W-40 on all of the cars.

Carefully enjoy!
CBODY67

big block mopars/AMCs are notorious for running out of oil at the end of a drag strip--------it doesnt drain down fast enough and the center sump idea is just so wrong on many levels-------the guys that knew would even add drain lines from the back of the valve covers to the oil pan.....on a day to day motor---no idea....

1970 newyorker Went for a 10 minute ride
Came back to the farm yard , punched it then let off , oil light came on , and stayed on for 20 - 30 seconds. Went out . Runs fine , oil was right up, it was hot that day,
Like 36 degrees c .
Any advice?

Non baffled pan, dented pan, oil level low, oil pickup partially clogged with timing gear plastic teeth...

Thanks for the tips, I will get a gauge hooked up. , pan is not dented, but I never thought of clogged pickup, could be baffle
As oil rushed ahead , do you know if can get away with 1/2 quart over full.
The only time it has happened

Seems like some of the early RB engines spec'd a 6 qt oil change?

Back