Ok, I need fusie help

66MonacoWagon

Reaction score
Here, I'll create some awful terms to start...I'm a slabber, not a fuser...

I've been looking for something a little newer than my 66 Monaco wagon. I looked at a 71 300 sedan today. Because if the lurkers...I'll be vague... :)

440. PW. Original paint except for one rear quarter that shows repaint, but no damage when looking in the trunk. Awful exterior color that probably detracts from value. Awful interior color, but in good condition with no rips for cracks including dash. Had a tic at idle, went away with slight rev, I'm not a mechanic, so I can't diagnose. No body damage, virtually no rust (Underside was nice, no rust found, not even flaking). Vinyl top is shot, probably 4 quarter size rust bubbles which tells me possibly some metal work, and probably window removal to do the repair.

ATC1 but not charged, drove nice. Appears to be under 50K original miles, but no confirmation. Radiator was pushing out fluid after 10 minute test drive. Reportedly recently filled because it was low, but nothing in the oil. I'm thinking its minor.

Appears to be a nice survivor that needs cooling system sorted, new vinyl roof with maybe some metal repair. Tires looked new and brake master was recent - stopped well. With all this vagueness, what would u pay? What is too much? I don't know the values on these.

Thanks!

Here, I'll create some awful terms to start...I'm a slabber, not a fuser...

I've been looking for something a little newer than my 66 Monaco wagon. I looked at a 71 300 sedan today. Because if the lurkers...I'll be vague... :)

440. PW. Original paint except for one rear quarter that shows repaint, but no damage when looking in the trunk. Awful exterior color that probably detracts from value. Awful interior color, but in good condition with no rips for cracks including dash. Had a tic at idle, went away with slight rev, I'm not a mechanic, so I can't diagnose. No body damage, virtually no rust (Underside was nice, no rust found, not even flaking). Vinyl top is shot, probably 4 quarter size rust bubbles which tells me possibly some metal work, and probably window removal to do the repair.

ATC1 but not charged, drove nice. Appears to be under 50K original miles, but no confirmation. Radiator was pushing out fluid after 10 minute test drive. Reportedly recently filled because it was low, but nothing in the oil. I'm thinking its minor.

Appears to be a nice survivor that needs cooling system sorted, new vinyl roof with maybe some metal repair. Tires looked new and brake master was recent - stopped well. With all this vagueness, what would u pay? What is too much? I don't know the values on these.

Thanks!

These are hard to price without photo's. 2dr or 4dr? The minor tic at idle is probably nothing to worry about, especially if the car has sat for a few days, probably just a lifter that had leaked down. The ATC is a major problem as parts are getting hard to come by and this system was not reliable for more than about 1 season even when parts were plentiful and the systems were new. If you need reliable A/C, this is not the car for you. Solid 2drs are about a $3500 to $5500 car, 4drs are about $1500 less. The shot vinyl top would probably knock off about $750 from these numbers.

Dave

With all this vagueness, what would u pay? What is too much? I don't know the values on these.
Thanks!

With all the "vagueness" the only answer at best would be vague...
Your awful color is someone else gorgeous color..
Your quarter size rust hole may be a dollar hole in disguise...
So your answer could be 500$,, could be 5000$..
Provide more info..

These are hard to price without photo's. 2dr or 4dr? The minor tic at idle is probably nothing to worry about, especially if the car has sat for a few days, probably just a lifter that had leaked down. The ATC is a major problem as parts are getting hard to come by and this system was not reliable for more than about 1 season even when parts were plentiful and the systems were new. If you need reliable A/C, this is not the car for you. Solid 2drs are about a $3500 to $5500 car, 4drs are about $1500 less. The shot vinyl top would probably knock off about $750 from these numbers.

Dave
4 door - maybe I misspoke. This has AC, but I thought it was not the troublesome ATCII (it only reads cool/heat, not the degree range). I guess I'm looking to know the "good survivor" price range, without revealing the specific car.

It sounds like you have already checked it out, I would have it looked at again by an impartial party. Sometime the gleam in our eyes, plays havoc on our pocketbook. A second inspection could spot something you missed, and help put a better value on it.

For the values, try www.NADAGuides.com, the "Classic Car" section. Same general values as the Old Cars Price Guide, just presented differently. Might be some "add-ons" for equipment and such, plus "deducts" for mileage or less equipment.

Any values would be for a "normal condition" car not needing repairs, so discount the vinyl top issues and then some for the a/c system.

ALSO, look at the rh front footwell area, under the carpet. A/C case water leaks were more common than not, from my experiences, many times hidden by floor mats. It'll be obvious. Might need some "not suspected" attention in that area!

The a/c issue could be just needing some gas or it could be a leaking evaporator or condenser, so look for evidence of a/c oil in those areas. Might be a worn compressor. None of which will be inexpensive. Might deduct $500 as a ball park amount.

What does the rocker shaft look like under the oil filler cap? Sludged or clean? Or where the pcv air intake hole is in the air cleaner? Tick might go away with a cleaner internal engine? Not a big deal, just something to note.

Won't know what's under the vinyl top until it's off. When off, then fix the rust and repaint. New vinyl can be later. $750 might be a good ball park there, I agree. But at that price and the price of a replacement top, that would mean any metal work and such could only have about $400.00 in that budget?

The low mileage would account for something, BUT it will also mean new ethanol-rated fuel line hoses (at the tank, near the rh subframe area, and at the fuel pump and filter. Not much parts expense, mostly labor.

End result, whatever the price guide says for a "2" car, take about $1500.00 off of that for this car and see how that ends up.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Solid 2drs are about a $3500 to $5500 car, 4drs are about $1500 less. The shot vinyl top would probably knock off about $750 from these numbers.

I'd agree with the tentative price range, although the lowish mileage on your car would suggest the upper end of those ranges is more realistic.

FWIW, I've been looking at similar cars for about a year (don't worry, I am not going to compete with you on this one). I investigated seriously several NYers in the past 6 months. Among those, the asking prices for cars with color combos that are less-than-desirable to most folks ranged between:

1. $1.9k for a '71 green 4-door hardtop driver, all sorted out and without rust (had some 5 years ago but had been all fixed by PO) but needing (a) a headliner (quoted $750 at a reputable shop recommended boba member), (b) a front bench re-upholstering (quoted a whopping $2.5k at the same shop), (c) 4 tires and (d) manual A/C work.
2. $5.5k for a '72 B5 blue 2-door NYB needing interior cleanup (stains on beige seats), a full tune-up, power window motor cleaning, and H53 A/C work.

I ended up passing on both of those cars for different reasons (seller went MIA for 3 weeks in one case, questions about "cleanability" of the interior were brought to my attention in the other, suggesting partial reupholstering might be needed -- so the total acquisition cost was too uncertain and I passed).

Good luck!

I appreciate all the input. Can anyone help me decode? I'm working on it but I'm sure there are some here that are faster...

67961774_736592336774871_1645648905947316224_n.jpg

Look Correct?

CS43:
Chrysler
Special
4 Door Hardtop

T1C: Unknown
Jefferson Avenue, MI, USA

: Sequence number

E85: 440 cid 4 barrel V8 350hp
D32: Heavy Duty Automatic Transmission
GF9: Unknown Exterior Color
S6T7: Trim - Unknown, Vinyl Bucket Seats, Chestnut
GT8: Dark Tan Poly Int. Door Frames
A29: Build Date: October 29
: Order number

V1W: Full Vinyl Top, White
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater
R22: AM Radio with 8 Track (10 Watts)
L31: Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals

P31: Power Windows
C21: Center Front Seat Cushion

B41: Front Disc Brakes w/Standard 10in RR Drum
G11: Tinted Glass (all)
V5F: Body Side Stripes, Green

R32: Dual Rear Speakers

CS43
C - Chrysler
S - Special
4 - 4 door
3 - hardtop

T1C: Unknown
T = 440
1 = 1971
C = Plant of assembly (Jefferson)

Beautiful car. Glad you got it -- as I have said privately, this green/chestnut/white color combo is a very nice one. Many British cars (both period and current) follow that scheme.

I am hoping that the 300 and its new owner will be able/willing to join C-bodies At The Lake (CATL) road trip from Belvidere, IL to Milwaukee, WI and back on September 6 (even if only for part of the trip) and/or @sixpkrt's C-Body Car-B-Que in West Dundee, IL the next day.

PS: @traintech55, I see that you are in Hammond -- any chance you might make it too?

Back