Old car and a road trip.

70bigblockdodge

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Hey everyone just got back from a scout trip to South Carolina and back. My son is finishing up his eagle project, his friends have finished and gotten their eagle projects done. It looked like the troop was going to end with them all aging out (18yo). To use up the money from the troop I and the other leaders told them to plan a trip and we will see if it's doable.
This trip to Charleston S. Carolina is the result. My son and I had basically 3 choices for a vehicle to take.
1. Steal my wife's Jeep GC and with the heat wave this last week probably end up in divorce, bad idea.
2. Use our old 2002 Chevy Trailblazer which has had a locked up compressor and then a over the winter deer strike leaves it with a mess for A/C, among other things.
3. My 1968 Charger. No A/C, put together with junk parts, 3 different shades of orange, and some rust.
Number 3 is the obvious choice. Full disclosure, I did grease outboard bearings, and change rear differential fluid (because the spacer which is in 2 pieces fell in oil when pulling the axles), known issue in the rear. Had to tack weld the u joint caps onto the driveshaft, unable to install the new one due to time constraints of life. I R&R the left rear wheel cylinder as it was moist. I finally added the disc brakes and changed the last 2 ball joints since getting it back on the road back in 2017. New points, plugs and a engine oil change and off we went.
I must say that the ball joints helped stability greatly, did not touch front end alignment since back when I garage floor and jack stand aligned it in 2017.
So, long story long, we put 1408 miles on in 6 days. Did not do much local driving because we rode with others that have A/C and not packed with luggage. Car ran absolutely flawless. Used a quart of oil total, did not overheat in the couple of times we got stuck in traffic for a couple of wrecks and congestion in Charlotte (BTW who's great idea was it to create a traffic problem by blocking off lanes and then solving it by charging a toll to use the blocked lanes? Only in NASCAR country, no wonder that organization is so poorly run)
For those of you that poo-poos on overdrives and headers. I got between 14.5 and 17.7 mpg running 70-80 mph and engine revving at 2300-2500. Car was a absolute pleasure to drive, some sound deadener, a new steering box, and A/C I will be taking it on more road trips.
Thanks for listening. See some of you in Carlisle.

Hey everyone just got back from a scout trip to South Carolina and back. My son is finishing up his eagle project, his friends have finished and gotten their eagle projects done. It looked like the troop was going to end with them all aging out (18yo). To use up the money from the troop I and the other leaders told them to plan a trip and we will see if it's doable.
This trip to Charleston S. Carolina is the result. My son and I had basically 3 choices for a vehicle to take.
1. Steal my wife's Jeep GC and with the heat wave this last week probably end up in divorce, bad idea.
2. Use our old 2002 Chevy Trailblazer which has had a locked up compressor and then a over the winter deer strike leaves it with a mess for A/C, among other things.
3. My 1968 Charger. No A/C, put together with junk parts, 3 different shades of orange, and some rust.
Number 3 is the obvious choice. Full disclosure, I did grease outboard bearings, and change rear differential fluid (because the spacer which is in 2 pieces fell in oil when pulling the axles), known issue in the rear. Had to tack weld the u joint caps onto the driveshaft, unable to install the new one due to time constraints of life. I R&R the left rear wheel cylinder as it was moist. I finally added the disc brakes and changed the last 2 ball joints since getting it back on the road back in 2017. New points, plugs and a engine oil change and off we went.
I must say that the ball joints helped stability greatly, did not touch front end alignment since back when I garage floor and jack stand aligned it in 2017.
So, long story long, we put 1408 miles on in 6 days. Did not do much local driving because we rode with others that have A/C and not packed with luggage. Car ran absolutely flawless. Used a quart of oil total, did not overheat in the couple of times we got stuck in traffic for a couple of wrecks and congestion in Charlotte (BTW who's great idea was it to create a traffic problem by blocking off lanes and then solving it by charging a toll to use the blocked lanes? Only in NASCAR country, no wonder that organization is so poorly run)
For those of you that poo-poos on overdrives and headers. I got between 14.5 and 17.7 mpg running 70-80 mph and engine revving at 2300-2500. Car was a absolute pleasure to drive, some sound deadener, a new steering box, and A/C I will be taking it on more road trips.
Congratulations! From an Eagle Scout myself (and my son is an Eagle too), on your son finishing up his Eagle project and eventually receiving his Eagle Scout award!
It will be with him for the rest of his life and you must be very proud!

Congratulations! From an Eagle Scout myself (and my son is an Eagle too), on your son finishing up his Eagle project and eventually receiving his Eagle Scout award!
It will be with him for the rest of his life and you must be very proud!
I am, I never made it past first class. He joined cub scouts as a 1st grader and has stayed with it ever since. Never had to "keep him in scouts" maybe a prod to nudge him to next rank.
I ended up becoming the scout master, not really wanting the position. In the end I have enjoyed the time, seeing the boys become more responsible and learning to do stuff themselves is rewarding in a small way. I believe that it really does help in the development of pre-teens to develop separate of their parents gaining social skills, independence, away from the umbrella of helicopter parenting that seems very prevalent now.
I hope they have learned something under my watch. Trying to not do for them, but adding to their ideas to further their knowledge.
To the young parents out there, I think scouts has a positive influence on young people if leadership is done right. I know they have taken a beating for abuse cases and do not know if they will survive. I hope so. Adult leadership is always needed so volunteer, it will make you a better parent and your kids get subjected to other parents.
I am proud of him and the other boys that have made it. We have tried to not make it just a gimme.

I am, I never made it past first class. He joined cub scouts as a 1st grader and has stayed with it ever since. Never had to "keep him in scouts" maybe a prod to nudge him to next rank.
I ended up becoming the scout master, not really wanting the position. In the end I have enjoyed the time, seeing the boys become more responsible and learning to do stuff themselves is rewarding in a small way. I believe that it really does help in the development of pre-teens to develop separate of their parents gaining social skills, independence, away from the umbrella of helicopter parenting that seems very prevalent now.
I hope they have learned something under my watch. Trying to not do for them, but adding to their ideas to further their knowledge.
To the young parents out there, I think scouts has a positive influence on young people if leadership is done right. I know they have taken a beating for abuse cases and do not know if they will survive. I hope so. Adult leadership is always needed so volunteer, it will make you a better parent and your kids get subjected to other parents.
I am proud of him and the other boys that have made it. We have tried to not make it just a gimme.
Train them, trust them, let them lead!

Sounds like a great time, it's fun to roll the dice and drive an older vehicle. Any pictures?

PXL_20220612_173856705.jpg
PXL_20220612_203009883.jpg
PXL_20220612_234318757.MP.jpg
PXL_20220613_143938636.MP.jpg

Flag raising at Fort Sumter.
PXL_20220614_141227699.jpg

Folly Beach
PXL_20220615_234751741.jpg

Dutch oven pizza

USS Laffey
PXL_20220617_001051745.jpg

Trip miles to last fill up was 1333. Used 85.7 gallons for 15.5 mpg average

Last edited:
First of all thank you for your service.
Secondly, Our cars were built to be driven and Kudos for doing so with the family aboard.
All 3 C's shown have big road trips under their belts.
Not afraid to gas up and go anywhere in Canada and U.S.

FB_IMG_1641479814740.jpg

Its always good to take the ol girls for a spin!

Back