Old wive's tale or true

a few folks already pointed this out already but I always believe it was best to use whatever the manufacturer tells us to use. the OEM manufacturers did all their engineering and validation work using whatever they fluids they "recommend/otherwise specify as acceptable" for the vehicles/parts.

out of warranty vehicles/parts, the manufacturer doesn't care as much obviously...but they still ("planned obsolescence" aside) want your vehicle to do what it was designed to do for as long as possible. helps their long-term brand image.

over the years smart people with real aptitude know what you can do/can get away with in a pinch, etc. and still not hurt your car or its parts.

such folks also figure out better ways of doing something.. e.g., reversing coolant flow came from the racing folks, but other than tweaking coolants a bit nobody starting using corn syrup as an engine coolant.

i am only half kidding on the syrup thing...we had a customer who, because he had differential chatter on his SUV, decided to use cooking lard...i kid you not..added to his diff fluid. he wondered why we wouldn't pay for his repair. i got stories....crazy stuff i saw with my own eyes :)

long story short...i use whatever manufacturer recommended for my old iron. to the extent any replacement parts have improved designs that allow for different fluids/formulations, I do whatever those designs specify/recommend from their manufacturer.

I don't have the mechanical skill/smarts to decide when to deviate and then deal with any consequences of doing other than that.

We are testing prototype vehicles for the Army that has 15W40 in everything except the radiator.

Transmission fluid can be used in power steering system in older cars also. I've heard this pop up every now and then. My wife's car uses transmission fluid in its power steering system directly, but it's an import. Old wives tale, BS?

True.

As far as I know Ford has always used the same in both. Type F for my older cars and Mercon V in my wife's 1998.

Back