One small leap 50 years ago where were you

Arguably THE biggest event of the twentieth century.....I missed it...but perhaps I'll see astronauts touchdown at the base of Olympus Mons.

Arguably THE biggest event of the twentieth century.....I missed it...but perhaps I'll see astronauts touchdown at the base of Olympus Mons.

Probably the biggest feel good event....

Both Kennedy's and MLK assassinations are up there too. Cuban Missle Crisis. Vietnam War ending. Civil Rights events. Apollo 1 disaster.

All in my lifetime.

I still remember the first man in space and then Glen's orbit, that was a bigger deal, then the long wait to the moon landing, so a little anti-climatic sorry to say... more like "they got that out of the way" (Space Race).

I can remember in grade school science class (long after the moon missions were over) being told when we kids were finally adults folks would be living permenantly on the moon and perhaps on space stations in orbit around Mars. Guess ya can't believe everything your told.

FB_IMG_1563680317911.jpg

I was born on July 13th ‘69 and am told we were watching as a family but I don’t remember...:rolleyes:

It was right before my 13th birthday. We (dad, mom, grandma, and me) were all watching the Zenith console tv. I remember nobody talking because we were just sitting there kind of goggle eyed, especially when they were landing. Just like when the guy at mission control famously said they were all breathing again, we must have been holding our breath. The next day when they stepped out, my mom kept saying “can you believe it?”. We all liked watching them put the flag up. Good memories.

Back