Orange plug wires.

Boydsdodge

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
If I was working to keep my 1973 Imperial factory stock looking. What colour were the spark plug ignition wires? I kind of remember seeing plenty of orange wires when I was young working at the dealer, but wonder were orange for parts counter replacement or assembly line? Maybe the Orange started later on the line.
I'd like to order a set of the Lectric wires for a 72, but still not sure why they say will not work with electronic when the wire description says supression. If my car came with orange, then I'll be on the look out for a set.
Thanks

I ran into the same issue with the Lectric wires. I have Lectric Limited on my 1970-1971 fusies, but the company does not make cables for 1972 (Edit: 1972 BBs with electronic ignition) - 1973 BBs -- so I had to go non-repro for Ming, my 1973 NYB.

Specifically, I just used the Taylor 8mm wires that the seller of Snow White (my '70 Polara N-code 'vert) had freshly installed in fall 2019 (here is the link at Summit) and ordered the correct, date-coded Lectric wires for Snow. If you find wires closer to the OEM type for a 1973, I'll be very interested in that info.

Last edited:
The wires might be orange, but what color plug boots? Orange plug end with black distributor end?

Has Lectric Wires illustrated the differences in the wires for the point and electronic ignition wires?

Back in about 1972 or so, I'd learned of the magnetic suppression/spiral-wound conductor spark plug wires. Which were stated to have 1000 ohms/ft rather than the normal 10K ohms/ft for normal carbon core wires. Then, I remembered reading somewhere that the wires Chrysler was putting on their 1973 electronic ignition cars were the mag suppression wires, which I happened to observe on a new '73 Chrysler NY at the local dealership, going through New Car Make Ready. I asked the tech to pull one of the wires out of the distributor cap and it certainly had the spiral-wound conductor in it. I smiled and thanked him. Didn't ask for further checks in '73 or later, though.

Yet it might be interesting to get Lectric Wires to explain the differences, so we all might be a bit more enlightened in this area.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I did some looking around after posting, I found some examples of very low mile Imperials and Chryslers. Looks like,the electronic ignition cars were orange, points were black.
That may reason that Lectric says that the points wires won't fit, or not for electronic ignition. Lectric looks to proud of supplying correct wires, they don't won't you to make your car incorrect.
So far that's what I got.
Go to do more looking. I leaning to Orange for electronic.

I did some looking last night, then remembered the Master tech series from Chrysler. In this video the tech clearly asks about the new for 72 orange plug wires. The question is at the 17:30 point of video.
Also interesting was the colour coded ECU, thats a new one.

Buttercup, my '72, needs new wires and I'd like to have "correct" wires of the correct length and color.

--> @Boydsdodge -- what wires did you end up getting for your 1973? The Denso that you showed here?

--> @Jon O. , you mentioned here that you'd gotten reproduction wires: could you tell us more about what you got?

For a 1972 440, DENSO says that I need the 6718120 (6718119 for a 1973). However, that 6718120 set has two straight boots whereas the 6718119 has two 135-degree boots (both sets have 6 90-degree boots).

Thoughts? @CBODY67 @Gluchie @Rob Mandolene @Zeb204 @superbyrd @whitewhale @saforwardlook @Ripinator

I did some looking last night, then remembered the Master tech series from Chrysler. In this video the tech clearly asks about the new for 72 orange plug wires. The question is at the 17:30 point of video.
Also interesting was the colour coded ECU, thats a new one.

Thanks for that link!

At the end, in comments about the orange-jacket plug wires, it was mentioned that "the stranded conductor" in the plug wires was folded over and secured to the plug wire plug terminal. "Stranded connector" for a non-metallic plug wire? BUT when the first electronic ignition cars appeared at the local dealership, I asked the make ready tech to remove a plug wire so I could look at its internal end. What I saw was exactly like the "magnetic suppression" wires I had read about and recently bought (in the Sorenson "Mono-Mag" line). Using monel wire wrapped spirally around a center section for less total resistance. 1000ohmg/ft rather than the typical 10K ohms/ft of normal carbon-core resistance plug wires. I had read that Chrysler would use those magnetic suppressioin wires on their electronic ignition systems, so I wanted to see if they did. By the time my parents bought their '72 Newport Royal 400 2bbl as a left-over '72 model, normal carbon-core wires were being used, but were orange.

In the Standard Ignition Products ignition system catalog, each of their wire sets is detailed as to the length of the cables AND the terminals on each end. Jacket and terminal end colors might also be listed, too? The "problem" might be that they could have combined a few applications over the years, to sets which "will work" rather than be "exact OEM-spec fit". Just as Chrysler and other OEMs can tend to do with their OEM part numbers, too. FWIW

Thanks again for that link. Interesting information, especially on the OEM control boxes!

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

@CBODY67 -- do you see anything wrong with this set for a 1972 440? Denso 671-8120 Ignition Wire Set

I am asking because the manufacturer (DENSO) states that the cables are cut to the correct length (EDIT: confirmed after installing, no slack at all), and 6 of the boots have 90-degree angles, but I am puzzled by the two straight boots in the 6718120 set (I was expecting two 135-degree boots, as in the 6718119 set that @Boydsdodge bought for his 1973 Imperial).

1661714873883.png

Last edited:
They might have changed the #7 and #8 wire plug terminals to the 90 degree style as (as I discovered) it could be very easy to break the 135 degree plug terminals. On the other hand, once used to them, they were easier to remove (with MORE space to do it in).

Kind of looks like the wires with the straight distributor boots are for one side of the motor, with the 90 degree boots for the other side of the motor? Which might mean those straight boot wires are for #1 and #3 plugs? Or for #3 and #5? Or for some location where they enter from above rather than below?

On our '66 Newport 383 2bbl, #6 and #8 entered from above, with stand-offs on the valve covers' outside rr edge. FWIW

Just some thoughts and observations,
CBODY67

@CBODY67 -- do you see anything wrong with this set for a 1972 440? Denso 671-8120 Ignition Wire Set

I am asking because the manufacturer (DENSO) states that the cables are cut to the correct length, and 6 of the boots have 90-degree angles, but I am puzzled by the two straight boots in the 6718120 set (I was expecting two 135-degree boots, as in the 6718119 set that @Boydsdodge bought for his 1973 Imperial).

View attachment 554852
In looking at engine pictures in the C-body Data Books for 1971 thru 1973, this wire set appears to be a mix of several different model years and applications/routing schemes.

The straight-in distributor boots can be for the rh side of an engine where the rh wires route in front of the rh valve cover, in a 4-wire loom/stendoff item, for example. The 90 degree distributor boots would be for the lh side of the motor, as a result. But the 1971 383 2bbl picture shows #6 and #8 wires to go over the top as the '66 383 2bbl wires did. With #7 wire being the sold lh "from the top" wire with a 135 degree plug boot.

I should also note that finding the exact engine picture seemed to be a bit difficult in that data source, but they were there. The functionality of "track pad zoom" also helped, too!

Obviously, using dielectric silicone lube on ANY 135-degree plug boot is a MUST!

CBODY67

Buttercup, my '72, needs new wires and I'd like to have "correct" wires of the correct length and color.

--> @Boydsdodge -- what wires did you end up getting for your 1973? The Denso that you showed here?

--> @Jon O. , you mentioned here that you'd gotten reproduction wires: could you tell us more about what you got?

For a 1972 440, DENSO says that I need the 6718120 (6718119 for a 1973). However, that 6718120 set has two straight boots whereas the 6718119 has two 135-degree boots (both sets have 6 90-degree boots).

Thoughts? @CBODY67 @Gluchie @Rob Mandolene @Zeb204 @superbyrd @whitewhale @saforwardlook @Ripinator
The Denso set that I used on Tux had all the correct ends and fit well for 1973 routing. I have since picked up a set of NOS Mopar wires, I want the correct electronic ignition orange wires under the hood. I would not hesitate to use the Denso wires again. TB will be getting a set of Denso.
The Denso wires fit better and looked better then the Standard/Blue streak wires.

Mine came from Lectric. I have a 400 with points. They are black wires with a date of 1972 on them. I saw your first post asking me, i didn't mean to take so long to reply.

Mine came from Lectric. I have a 400 with points. They are black wires with a date of 1972 on them. I saw your first post asking me, i didn't mean to take so long to reply.
Thank you. If Buttercup had been built with points, that’s what I’d have done too.

So, I was all set to swap out the wires on Tux today. I did not do it I had Tux up on ramps to reach plug boots and had been doing some OHM readings on the wire sets I have and using all the same length plug wire.
40" plug wire.
Standard/Blue streak from 2020: 22000 OHMs
Mopar Orange from Mopar performance slightly used date of 1998: 30000 OHMs
NOS Mopar wire set Mopar date 1978: 21000 OHMs
DENSO 6718119 Date 2021: 14000 OHMs and a 50" plug wire.
I decided it was not worth hours of removing and installing wires with more resistance just for the factory orange wire look underhood. As much as I love to have Tux keep the original look, I will keep buying the Denso for my cars.
Tux starts with a crank hot or cold now and I don't want upset that.

Back