Orange plug wires.

Boydsdodge

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
If I was working to keep my 1973 Imperial factory stock looking. What colour were the spark plug ignition wires? I kind of remember seeing plenty of orange wires when I was young working at the dealer, but wonder were orange for parts counter replacement or assembly line? Maybe the Orange started later on the line.
I'd like to order a set of the Lectric wires for a 72, but still not sure why they say will not work with electronic when the wire description says supression. If my car came with orange, then I'll be on the look out for a set.
Thanks

ayilar

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I ran into the same issue with the Lectric wires. I have Lectric Limited on my 1970-1971 fusies, but the company does not make cables for 1972 (Edit: 1972 BBs with electronic ignition) - 1973 BBs -- so I had to go non-repro for Ming, my 1973 NYB.

Specifically, I just used the Taylor 8mm wires that the seller of Snow White (my '70 Polara N-code 'vert) had freshly installed in fall 2019 (here is the link at Summit) and ordered the correct, date-coded Lectric wires for Snow. If you find wires closer to the OEM type for a 1973, I'll be very interested in that info.

Last edited:

CBODY67

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
The wires might be orange, but what color plug boots? Orange plug end with black distributor end?

Has Lectric Wires illustrated the differences in the wires for the point and electronic ignition wires?

Back in about 1972 or so, I'd learned of the magnetic suppression/spiral-wound conductor spark plug wires. Which were stated to have 1000 ohms/ft rather than the normal 10K ohms/ft for normal carbon core wires. Then, I remembered reading somewhere that the wires Chrysler was putting on their 1973 electronic ignition cars were the mag suppression wires, which I happened to observe on a new '73 Chrysler NY at the local dealership, going through New Car Make Ready. I asked the tech to pull one of the wires out of the distributor cap and it certainly had the spiral-wound conductor in it. I smiled and thanked him. Didn't ask for further checks in '73 or later, though.

Yet it might be interesting to get Lectric Wires to explain the differences, so we all might be a bit more enlightened in this area.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Boydsdodge

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I did some looking around after posting, I found some examples of very low mile Imperials and Chryslers. Looks like,the electronic ignition cars were orange, points were black.
That may reason that Lectric says that the points wires won't fit, or not for electronic ignition. Lectric looks to proud of supplying correct wires, they don't won't you to make your car incorrect.
So far that's what I got.
Go to do more looking. I leaning to Orange for electronic.

Boydsdodge

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I did some looking last night, then remembered the Master tech series from Chrysler. In this video the tech clearly asks about the new for 72 orange plug wires. The question is at the 17:30 point of video.
Also interesting was the colour coded ECU, thats a new one.