ORIGINAL 1969 POLARA CHP RESURECTION

I know but not too many older retires' around that would have driven these cars. To make matters worse, our Dept. Of Transportation in Harrisburg had a fire many years ago. It destroyed a ton of records from the early 70's to 60's.
Good luck with the restoration....

Chris

The most recent restoration project i was involved with (1990s, not RECENT recent apparently) was an original 1977 Plymouth Gran Fury NYS police model. But unfortunately, some things happened between me and my at the time best friend, so i never got to see how it came out. But one thing i learned was that even without records, if you could uncover the unit number, you could determine some facts about the car. We were able to come up with photographs from the Schoharie (NY) Barracks based on the unit # assigned to the car.

BTW, NY State painted their retired units **** brown. Not easy to get rid of THAT paint. :BangHead:

Engine swap on the 69 Polara CHP happens tomorrow.

1967 383 HP dual point engine comes out.

1969 dated casting 440 HP (six pack internals) goes in.

Good original CHP stuff is still there, exhaust manifolds, alt brackets, CHP wiring, A/C, clutch fan, original radiator, ORIGINAL front exhaust pipes ( I have 100% correct welded units for the rear) ,..etc, etc.

Last edited:
Thanks Dave..........out with the old and in with the new!!!
It turns out the trans is an original CHP unit, also the oil pan, and maybe the heads too. Pretty cool.

69 polara chp engine.jpg
69 polara chp engine 1.jpg
69 polara chp engine 2.jpg
69 polara chp engine 3.jpg

Thanks for the encouragement guys. And a special thanks to my two unnamed friends that helped with the engine/transmission swap. So much more fun to do with 3 people.

Often it's hard to get projects/restorations moving,.....but now we are polishing this turd so well, that I'm sure some of you will even want a bite/taste!

Newly discovered today is an original CHP applied decal that was hidden under black paint on the core support. It appears the CHP painted the core support black when they sold the car, and in doing so painted over the original CHP and factory decals preserving them for us.

A little solvent, a soft scraper, and about 45 minutes later,...........
chp polara decal 1.jpg
chp engine.jpg
......and then the engine almost ready to fire. The CHP decal has a date of 6-13-69 written on it!!!!

We should drive this rare 69 Dodge Pursuit for the first time in about 35 years tomorrow!!!

I'll be reproducing the decal for the restoration later,...I love this kind of thing, little details that make up the whole of the car.

***STAN*** Note, upper radiator hose on the 69 Polara CHP Pursuit should be of the "flexi" type, but in your honor we are using a formed hose! :eek:

Last edited:
Newly discovered today is an original CHP applied decal that was hidden under black paint on the core support. It appears the CHP painted the core support black when they sold the car, and in doing so painted over the original CHP and factory decals preserving them for us.

The CHP decal has a date of 6-13-69 written on it!!!!

We should drive this rare 69 Dodge Pursuit for the first time in about 35 years tomorrow!!!

I'll be reproducing the decal for the restoration later,...I love this kind of thing, little details that make up the whole of the car.

***STAN*** Note, upper radiator hose on the 69 Polara CHP Pursuit should be of the "flexi" type, but in your honor we are using a formed hose! :eek:
Like this decal?
2016-10-10_001.JPG

Not sure about the paint on the core support, I see no reason for them to waste time or paint. i have not seen this on other cars i have seen.

The upper hose is the factory molded one, it is the lower one that was the heavy duty flex hose.

Alan

Great project. Thanks for keeping us posted. Was it difficult tracking down a hp 69 date code 440? Aside from the paint what is next on the agenda?

Thanks,..... On the engine I just searched for awhile until I found one.....next on the the list is a complete new brake job font and rear,.....then I'll wet sand the paint get it looking reasonable and then drive the snot out of it......I'm on a quest to have all my cars running and driving.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

For the originality crew and the numbers nerds like me..........and you thought your Hemi 'Cuda was the only car with inspection and plant assembly special paint marks,....HA!!!!:) ( I know this isn't the only car with markings!!)

The 618 number is the axle code on the Broadcast Sheet, coded for the CHP Polara, which I believe is a unique code for this axle. (I'll check my other Pursuit Broadcast sheets I have in my archive later). The "C" on the end cover of the differential;...that's a "C" for CHP or C-body 8-3/4" 3:23.

I know this isn't a big deal for most of you guys,....but it's fun stuff for us numbers nerds, and it's part of the car,...part of the history.

Last edited:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
My car is a " late" car built in May, and likely put in service towards the end of 69, I'm running first issue blue state exempt plates, which were released near the end of 1969.

Last edited:
View attachment 97955 My car is a " late" car built in May, and likely put in service towards the end of 69, do I'm running first issue blue state exempt plates, which were released near the end of 1969.

The reality is the black plates were used into late 71 on trucks. My car also a May build was put into service on August 19, 1969 and had the plate 808434. I have a color picture of a car that is just 6 units off of mine with a black plate 808325. The earliest 1970 CHP car picture has the plate 808966, now it was a black and white photo so I can't say if it was black or blue. I'd say the CHP was using up the last of the diamond black plate into the 1970 cars.

People typically show 1970 CHP cars with blue plates whereas many if not most probably had black plates.

Alan

The reality is the black plates were used into late 71 on trucks. My car also a May build was put into service on August 19, 1969 and had the plate 808434. I have a color picture of a car that is just 6 units off of mine with a black plate 808325. The earliest 1970 CHP car picture has the plate 808966, now it was a black and white photo so I can't say if it was black or blue. I'd say the CHP was using up the last of the diamond black plate into the 1970 cars.

People typically show 1970 CHP cars with blue plates whereas many if not most probably had black plates.

Alan

Thanks Alan, good to know.

I do know a pair of California "diamond" black "State" plates are really hard to find. Got any extras?

The "blues" are fine for now,.....

Last edited:
Any progress on this? Did you drive it yet? Id love to own it. What will you do w/it? Complete resto or?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Any progress on this? Did you drive it yet? Id love to own it. What will you do w/it? Complete resto or?

.....well I just met Ron and Allan down at Spring Fling in LA. Photos of Ron's car above...........super cool car,..and really good guys Ron and Allen....they are very passionate and serious about these cars, as I am.

I'm doing documentation now and trying to gather all the CHP equipment. It's harder to find than 1972 6 Pack stuff!!!

Next on the list is a total brake system rebuild, then electrics, then wet sand and buff the paint. No full restoration plans now,... I just may keep it as an original unrestored car.

If you'd like to own it,...send me a PM.

Back