ORIGINAL 1969 POLARA CHP RESURECTION

IMG_2503.JPG
Baby steps....I just received and installed the correct "California" dual snorkel HP air cleaner today.........notice rad cap too!

IMG_3472.JPG
BEFORE
IMG_3469.JPG
IMG_3470.JPG
IMG_3471.JPG
AFTER
Small steps,....as I have time between customer cars, I spent a few hours carefully wet sanding the old primer and the original CHP applied yellow off the rear drivers qtr.

This was just a test to see what would happen. The top 3 inches mid panel were brought down with 220/320/400/600/800/1200. A little quick and dirty; just a test but when I focus on it it should look much, much better.

Just sharing a bit!

Last edited:
Time and patience, this job is going to prove very interesting to watch. I cant wait to see how it turns out eventually.

Nice work but I don't understand why all that work on the paint.
Have I misunderstood the direction you are going with this car?

Nice work but I don't understand why all that work on the paint.
Have I misunderstood the direction you are going with this car?

No Problem,....if you revisit the original thread I state that I am a fan of original paint, etc.

It's quite rare to get a chance to uncover original paint on ANY car and see if the original can be saved. In fact, what has happened in this case with this CHP Polara almost NEVER happens. It's archaeology, and historical preservation in a sense. So that's what I'm doing. I'm saving a car that was written off in 1979 and some folks thought was barely a good parts car when I removed it from the Arizona desert a few years ago.

We may be somewhat of a unique breed up here in the Pacific Northwest; we save **** that other people throw away.

Just wait until I'm done wet/color sanding the car, you'll be shocked.

Last edited:
No Problem,....if you revisit the original thread I state that I am a fan of original paint, etc.

It's quite rare to get a chance to uncover original paint on ANY car and see if the original can be saved. In fact, what has happened in this case with this CHP Polara almost NEVER happens. It's archaeology, and historical preservation in a sense. So that's what I'm doing. I'm saving a car that was written off in 1979 and some folks thought was barely a good parts car when I removed it from the Arizona desert a few years ago.

We may be somewhat of a unique breed up here in the Pacific Northwest; we save **** that other people throw away.

don't worry Trev, those strangers do not only live in the PNW

Carsten

That's AMAZING work your doing. Just saw your thread for the first time and love the story.. keep us updated as things progress. Great work in saving the OE paint..

That's AMAZING work your doing. Just saw your thread for the first time and love the story.. keep us updated as things progress. Great work in saving the OE paint..

Thanks man. Color sanding is actually fun for me!

Hope you are being careful. Too much color sanding on a car that never had it done and came from the factory with orange peel standard can detract from the originality. Not to mention thin paint to start with.

No news....but moved it to a better home. Brake job is next. Then the rebuilding of an original 1969 440 HP CHP engine I located...15 numbers different from mine. Built the same day, on the same line.....best I could do! So now it will at least have an original CHP engine.

Last edited:
No news....but moved it to a better home. Brake job is next. Then the rebuilding of an original 1969 440 HP CHP engine I located...15 numbers different from mine. Built the same day, on the same line.....best I could do! So now it will at least have an original CHP engine.

Your passion is impressive, I don't have that drive anymore

Back