Original paint??

GBsPanhead

Reaction score
OK, got these on CL for 50 bucks. Thanks to those here who offered up some, but shipping can be costly!

I currently have some Mopar aftermarket covers, but wanted to go back to OEM stuff. I don't want to repaint, as car is 50 years old, and newly painted valve covers would stand out too much.

When I saw these on CL, I could obviously see they were repainted over what I believe is the original turquoise paint. Took lacquer thinner and rags...the old orange paint easily came off, the turquoise paint would not come off no matter how hard I tried. Leaving me to believe its original to the covers.....I hope. In the pics, you can see the paint 'runs', which I believe would, and could be correct from the factory? In the one pic, I have the chrome 'oil breather', came in the trunk of car when I got it. Is that a OEM part, or aftermarket?

Lastly, I need to find some old/original bolts for these covers. Hitting junk yard tomorrow. But question is I see that the 'repop' kits come with 10 bolts and 2 studs. Is that 5 bolts +1 stud per cover? If so, which hole does the stud go into on each cover? Thanks!

20190425_122642.jpg

20190425_122646.jpg

20190425_130230.jpg

20190425_130233.jpg

20190425_130247.jpg

20190425_130256.jpg

20190425_152902.jpg

Last edited:
Runs in factory engine paint were very common, they were going for coverage to be sure it was all one color on the block, heads, etc. Being overly neat was not a major consideration in a spray box where the unit was sprayed from multiple angles. Most of the breather caps were painted in flat/matte black

Dave

The "black" paint would match the "black" on the non-crinkle paint black air cleaners and engine brackets.

In addition to the factory chrome breather caps, there were also factory chrome valve covers on some particular engines. Before there were accessory chrome covers available. Can't forget the chrome air cleaner tops (snorkel top, but without the snorkel or related hole in the side, used with the smaller diameter air cleaner base of the covered open element, later '68 Road Runner -style air cleaner base). Basically, an incognito open-element air cleaner for some of the pre-68 C-body cars.

CBODY67

I remember a 273 H.P. we had with a factory engine dress up option. I was just a kid but it was an early “A” body.

Last edited:
The studs should go on the front corners of each cover. On my 383 they are for locating a spark plug wire bracket. Nice project BTW, that's pretty cool to keep it looking "factory at 50" I like that approach very much.

Thanks everyone for the info on OEM options and bolt/stud locations!

Passenger cover has less turquoise, but it's all original!! Which is the look I'm going for. Will use liquid 'Plasti Dip' to fix sparkplug wire holders. Most are present, but need just a tad bit to fixem' up just alittle.

Tools used.....lol.....

20190425_183353.jpg

One could buy dress up parts over the counter back in the day - my 440 in the Monaco came with a standard dual snorkel black air cleaner, and a chrome oil breather cap. Valve covers were painted.

Available from the parts counter were chrome unsilenced air cleaner (as per factory 413 and 426 wedge motors in '65), chrome valve covers (same RB '65 motors) and apparently call out decals for the air cleaners.

I opted to put the chrome valve covers on mine. Since 65 valve covers are not entirely correct for a 66 440, I bought the AMD 65 reproductions, and added the 66 only little wire loom brackets and hose keeper pieces which I took from a set of 66 valve covers and had chromed, and installed using stainless rivets. Shh... don't tell! I can always go back to my original valve covers if I decide I don't like them.

Why not Mopar turquoise? Because it's a Canadian issue Red motor. All that red with some nice chrome highlights, black dual snorkel air cleaner with the 440 4 Barrel call out decal - I think she'll look smashing!

Here's a couple of pics of the motor on the stand, patiently awaiting installation in the engine bay once everything's done. For those observant Canadians, yes, most Canadian motors had all their accessory brackets (power steering, AC and alternator) and the power steering pump painted engine colour, except those engines which were assembled on the police engine line as this one was. Yes, the fender tag supports what I had been told by the original owner who special ordered the car - it's the RCMP 440.

You can see the belt keeper I made on the alternator to help avoid those pesky AC belts from jumping during those power shifts!

20190424_183305.jpg

20190424_183339.jpg

Those are some seriously brilliant chrome valve covers!
This was a factory "hustle stuff" part back in the day?
Maybe I'll find a set myself someday. Right now the convertible needs too many other things.

I'd like to paint my engine red, simply because it would match the car!

Thanks - I don't know what the name was for the dress up package(s), all I know is that the parts were available over the counter.

All available in reproduction (correct for '65 bug block engines) from AMD.

Ordered some gaskets, I know, I know...not Real Gaskets that came highly recommended on here. But I've used FelPros before on other motors without issues. Also ordered some OEM looking hardware, at least it better be, for the covers....

vcgask.JPG

vchw.JPG

Back