Over heating Help

How will the water pump work without receiving water?
It receives water.
Just keep the radiator full while flushing it out the UPPER hose.
I effed up the earlier procedure.:BangHead:
Read the edited post.
Thank you for catching that.

my method for a complete and thorough flush.

1. Remove thermostat and reinstall the housing.
2. Disconnect upper radiator hose from radiator and direct the flow coming out of the block towards ground.
3. Set car heater to max.
4. Make sure radiator is empty.
5. Add chemicals of mass destruction (your choice) to radiator.
6. Insert garden hose into radiator.
7. Start engine and wedge something in carburetor linkage so that it runs at a high idle.
8. Turn on garden hose so flow of water matches flow of water coning out of upper radiator hose.
9. Run, run, run, until water coming out of upper hose looks clean enough to drink.
10. Add small amt. Of tide laundry detergent to radiator.
11. Continue flushing process until soap coming out of hose is gone and water is crystal clear again.
Stop engine.
12. Install new thermostat (180° minimum) and gasket and upper hose.
13. Drain radiator again andd a/f to radiator until full.
14. Restart engine and bring up to high idle again.
15. Purge system of air completely, and add additional a/f as nec.
16. Dispose of dead animals who you indvertantly let drink the old antifreeze flowing down driveway.
Wash down driveway to remove evidence.

dpyqcb8.jpg

to divert the coolant coming out the upper hose away from you and the car, i found that a hose from a shop vac is the same size.

dont forget to flush the heater core and lines, also!

PS.....if you can, use a blow gun and compressed air back and forth top to bottom, bottom to top a few times. Just regular l ate the air pressure to around 15 psi!!!!!!!

PS.....if you can, use a blow gun and compressed air back and forth top to bottom, bottom to top a few times. Just regular l ate the air pressure to around 15 psi!!!!!!!

Regulate not I ate wtf

When I changed my cap when I got the car. I had a 16 psi cap. I went with the recommended 13 psi cap ( be cool rad recommendation ) later it did spew out a little bit , but then stopped and hasn't happened since

Ken

Well any update? Did you solve the overheating?
Hey guys, it's been a while but I figured I would post an update now that I have finally been able to get some stuff done. Back surgery sucks!
What I ended up doing is installing a pusher fan that is wired to a switch under the dash. I'd have preferred a puller but there wasn't enough room and this was kind of a test to see if it would actually help or not.
Here's what I found were some potential contributors to the problem I was having:
-The factory radiator is, (if I remember correctly) 24" wide. The aftermarket summit radiator in my car is 20" wide and I think it is just barely rated for this size motor.
-When the previous owner installed the smaller radiator, he mounted it centered in the engine bay, not centered on the fan.
-The radiator was also not installed at the same angle as the fan. You can see much more space between the fan blade and the radiator at the top than you can at the bottom. I am not sure how much this would effect things overall. Thoughts?
-The exhaust manifolds were replaced with headers, which are not wrapped. I don't think this is a huge issue, but I don't think it helped anything either.
-The aftermarket radiator did not have a shroud and making one would be a real pain with it being off-center.
So basically I figured I would try the pusher and see if it would help. It's kind of a band-aid but it'll do for now. I think that eventually I am going to toss that Summit radiator and get a quality OEM style back in there. I ran it today in 85 degree weather and let it idle for a while and it didn't get over 205ish, so it looks like this did fix the problem. I'll update any changes if there are any in the future. Thank you again to everyone who offered their advice with this!

I think the bigger radiator with a shroud will do the job. A customer of mine has a 440 cuda and he had a smaller aluminum rad with two electric fans attached to it and it would run hot, we put in a 26" rad, shroud and mechanical clutch fan. That combo cured his cooling problem. I don't have anything against aluminum radiators but they need to be sized correctly. The same for the electric fans they need enough cfm to cool the engine.

Evapo-Rust has a block cleaner that looks very promising. I may give it a try myself.
I can personally attest to the efficacy of this product. I used it in my '69 NY, whose 440 block had a significant amount of scale in it. I drained the system, knocked out a freeze plug, put in a rubber expansion plug, filled it with Evapo-Rust and waited. At the prescribed time, I removed the expansion plug and let the Evapo-Rust drain, flushed the system, refilled it, and I have not seen a speck of scale since. It worked for me.

I worked on a friends 69 Camaro with a 396 BB in it and a high performance aluminum radiator with electric fan. They car constantly over heated in traffic or idiling. After several attempts with fans tstats etc an old GM tech said put the factory rad back in with the fan shroud. We being young and stupid said no way that'll work old man this is the best high performance cooling you can buy.....old guy was right.

Back