Overbored 318 POLY engine trouble

12637d1424543798-spark-plug-reading-jetting-image.jpg

Ignition system problems, wires, cap, points, rotor. I had a misfire problem like that, spring tab and pointer are loose at rivit ( f..In Chinese parts). If you have a rumpity cam you will need more initial timing than anything near stock number.

Thanks to all you guys for the help so far. I'll try everything written here and get back to you. Thank you Moper for the compliment on the build.

I'm gonna be pretty busy for a couple days but as Knebel states, "you will bet this sorted out".

Pretty plug Knebel. Makes me think of something else - Should I use a different plug than a Autolite R45S? Maybe a hotter plug would be better to burn all in the engine, then it wouldn't have raw gas going out the exhaust. You show a plug with much longer threaded area.

Just a thought.
I'll get back to yu all when anything changes.
Thanks again - NOW, I gotta get to work. ;O)

I actually prefer Autolites in my engines with factory iron heads. Champions for stock type engines. I find I can read the Autolites easier and they last a lot longer with hi-powered ignitions. Autolite 86, or Champion J14YC. But plugs won't solve this. You need to find what's not right.

Hello Everyone:

I'm going to be really busy checking out all the suggestions made here lately. I may not come back until I have all items checked.

Thanks for the positive words and from Knebel and Moper has been a great help too. Actually you all have been great.

Thought of another thing too. I think it was Knebel that posted a pic of a really nice looking plug and it occurred to me that maybe some trouble may be coming from using the wrong plugs. Are Autolite R45S the right ones for this radical an engine?

See Y'all later

I actually prefer Autolites in my engines with factory iron heads. Champions for stock type engines. I find I can read the Autolites easier and they last a lot longer with hi-powered ignitions. Autolite 86, or Champion J14YC. But plugs won't solve this. You need to find what's not right.

I will do my best to do just that and thanks

Pretty plug Knebel. Makes me think of something else - Should I use a different plug than a Autolite R45S? Maybe a hotter plug would be better to burn all in the engine, then it wouldn't have raw gas going out the exhaust. You show a plug with much longer threaded area.

Just a thought.
I'll get back to yu all when anything changes.
Thanks again - NOW, I gotta get to work. ;O)
oh hey thats a random plug. not mine. Just as a reference for what you want it to look like (or close to it). A hotter plug wont burn all the fuel when its too rich! Dont worry, you will get this figured out. Heck, I bought an EFI system 2 years ago and am just starting to REALLY tune the quirks out.

Hello to you all
Just a brief update on the 318 / 402 Stroker.

Took car to a speed shop and after checking out 3 or 4 carburetors, suggestion was; soak parts in white vinegar for 'bout a half hour & reassembled everything and I'm gonna try it maybe today. Putting in new plugs too. #85s I'll have Compression numbers too. (bought a new tester for this).

Gotta go to work on things. Just wanted you to know.

Later

Compression numbers are within a 40 lb. range. Low is 110 / Top is 150.
Installed plugs and am having trouble now getting wires to CLIP onto plugs. I'll get that to good contact but Engine starts at first rotation on engine and will noow idle and stay running.

going after the carb / timing combination working together.

This engine is bored 0.090 overbore with has a Schnieder cam (.480 Lift and 284 duration,)
It's hydraulic so 0.00 lash.
64o Overlap
TDC shows 64o (34o Intake opens BTDC and 30o Exhaust closes ATDC)
BDC is 74o Exhaust Open BBDC and 70o Intake Closes ATDC
Scat 4" Stroke crank

Gotta go to "work" now. Things are getting better tho.

make sure there is clean fuel in the tank, might have some rust/trash plugging up you carb compounding problems

Let's see now - Things done since last post
Compression test shows all holes w/in 30 lbs.
Put on the 14" chrome filter and breather.

Car was really loud so I bought a pair of 30" Walker Glass Pack mufflers and installing them now. Old mufflers were 2" ID and so I got the Walkers at 2 1/4" ID too ( header pipe size originally) It really surprised me to find that when exhaust went to 2 1/4 to match header pipe, thet car really seems to run a lot better.

Gonna finish mufflers installs today then maybe take the care onto our street for a few feet. ;O)
Starts easy enough but with a little "resistance" in turning over.

Can't think of anything else for now
Take care
Michael

OH - nearly out of gas so I think it's time for some higher octane gas this time too. I'll drain the old gas out and let tank dry first tho.

Back