Pabst Brewery and Mansion

Progress report: Milwaukee Athletic Club renovation

mac_exterior.jpg

One thing that I miss a lot from Milwaukee is the Friday fish fry. Most are made from fresh water yellow lake perch. To me the best damn fish you can eat. There is also Walleye (which to me is a giant yellow perch) and Cod fish fry's. In Milwaukee you can find restaurants and bars that will offer and serve a fish fry every dang day. The fish fry is an upper midwest thing that goes back more than 100 years mostly because a majority of the people in the midwest are Catholic and don't eat meat on Friday because of religious beliefs. Chicken or fish on Friday's is acceptable. From Vietnam until a few years ago.....people in the military were exempt from the no meat on Friday rule so they could maintain their strength to fight. The closest I can find a traditional midwest fish fry is in Ohio. That's about 450-500 miles from Milwaukee or half way to Maryland.

If you are ever in Milwaukee or the upper midwest....don't miss out on a fresh yellow lake perch dinner!

The best fish frys in Milwaukee (and beyond)

the-perch-fish-fry-is.jpg

One thing that I miss a lot from Milwaukee is the Friday fish fry. Most are made from fresh water yellow lake perch. To me the best damn fish you can eat. There is also Walleye (which to me is a giant yellow perch) and Cod fish fry's. In Milwaukee you can find restaurants and bars that will offer and serve a fish fry every dang day. The fish fry is an upper midwest thing that goes back more than 100 years mostly because a majority of the people in the midwest are Catholic and don't eat meat on Friday because of religious beliefs. Chicken or fish on Friday's is acceptable. From Vietnam until a few years ago.....people in the military were exempt from the no meat on Friday rule so they could maintain their strength to fight. The closest I can find a traditional midwest fish fry is in Ohio. That's about 450-500 miles from Milwaukee or half way to Maryland.

If you are ever in Milwaukee or the upper midwest....don't miss out on a fresh yellow lake perch dinner!

View attachment 416913
We used to always go to the Friday fish fry when I visited my grandmother in Wausau.

View attachment 416913
I have found a couple of good fish fries in Maine. One place has their special on Thursday!!! Reference the article you linked to: I love the ambiance at Schwabenhof, but the fish fry was just so-so.

I have found a couple of good fish fries in Maine. One place has their special on Thursday!!! Reference the article you linked to: I love the ambiance at Schwabenhof, but the fish fry was just so-so.

The locals catch yellow perch all over the Chesapeake Bay and the Susquehanna River. Never ever see them in any markets. Most people you ask in the mid-Atlantic never heard of fresh water yellow perch except the few fisherman i run into.

Back