Paint under hood.

jmustian

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Heh folks,
What paint goes on the radiator frame in front of radiator and behind headlights area? Body color or black or both?

I was told either the body color or black. I did body color, MISTAKE. I should have done black because my car is white and you can see it through the grill. I will be changing it to black with a lot of work in taping and papering. Grrrrrr!

Flat black.

However to paint it correctly, you should do the assembly line method and have several drinks for lunch, maybe smoke a joint and not really care about neatness.

The core support was fully painted with the body in the same body color.
Some (lighter) colors would have the forward face blacked out, generally crude quickie.

On 69's the vertical latch support was also painted body color, may get some blackout as well.
Tiny bracket at the bottom, black.

The latch bracket was black, low gloss. The grill brackets as well.

Battery tray, body color.
Battery tray support, black.

Fender Braces, body color (and hardware (less the one bolt above the booster)).

Alan

Last edited:
They started out body color on the assembly line - then most colors (everything except dark blue and black, IIRC) were sprayed w/ flat black just like Big John said - the sloppier the better - shot from the bottom up, by some guy down in a pit, as the car passed over him. Of course, you don't want too much overspray, but definitely don't want anything masked-off sharply . . .

My 72 does not have any. I have seen some with and some without. If I had a lighter colored car I was restoring I would black it out.

6B5E5AF5-FFF3-4AF4-84B4-DC2B5887C491.jpeg

Thats what it looked like on my gold car. Sloppy is good haha. Im not going for a show car or factory restore but just trying to match whats right.

Ma Mopar didn't want you to see body color when you looked through the grille. Hence the flat black, and yes, it was not a neat paint shoot.

They started out body color on the assembly line - then most colors (everything except dark blue and black, IIRC) were sprayed w/ flat black just like Big John said - the sloppier the better - shot from the bottom up, by some guy down in a pit, as the car passed over him. Of course, you don't want too much overspray, but definitely don't want anything masked-off sharply . . .
So, Formal Black cars didn’t get the “blackout” treatment? Just gloss black everywhere?

So, Formal Black cars didn’t get the “blackout” treatment? Just gloss black everywhere?
Not quite.

Anything that is low gloss/satin black on a colored car will still be low gloss/satin black on a black car (at lest it was in 69).
2017-03-20_024.jpg

Alan

The core support was fully painted with the body in the same body color.
Some (lighter) colors would have the forward face blacked out, generally crude quickie.

On 69's the vertical latch support was also painted body color, may get some blackout as well.
Tiny bracket at the bottom, black.

The latch bracket was black, low gloss. The grill brackets as well.

Battery tray, body color.
Battery tray support, black.

Fender Braces, body color (and hardware (less the one bolt above the booster)).

Alan
Clarification, your talking about the engine side of the core being body color. In the last three years in connection with my restoration project, I have taken to many parts off of to many 65's and 66's and on only rare occasion was the grill side not black. Battery tray body color; mine is black and I am not going to paint it white!

We all know what opinions are like, that said nothing looks worse than seeing everything behind the grille. Satin black has my vote!

Clarification, your talking about the engine side of the core being body color. In the last three years in connection with my restoration project, I have taken to many parts off of to many 65's and 66's and on only rare occasion was the grill side not black. Battery tray body color; mine is black and I am not going to paint it white!
The core support should have been fully painted with the body color on both sides, then if it got blackout it would only have been on the forward face towards the grill over the body color.
This started in reference to a 69, I'm pretty sure the earlier cars were the same. The key difference on the pre 69 is the wheel liners being body color.

Maybe 68 and older were better blacked out but in 69+ it was hit and miss.

Alan

Back