Painters Help.

68Nwprt

Reaction score
Is there an economical gun cleaner for acrylic urethane paints? What are you guy's using. Thanks in advance.

Regular lacquer thinner.
One painter around here uses $20 Harbor Freight throw-aways for guns after shooting urethane.

Regular lacquer thinner.
One painter around here uses $20 Harbor Freight throw-aways for guns after shooting urethane.

Thanks Stan. I believe that's what I used last time. Just could not remember, too long between uses. I need to learn to clean up without using too much solvent. One article I read said to use just a few ounces to clean your gun. I typically would use about a quart. Parts guy at NAPA told me to use the reducer. Sure it works... but at $46.00 a gallon. I'll stick with the lacquer thinner thank you.

Last edited:
You know of course you have to do it immediately after you finish painting while it's still soft, right. A day later, it like trying dissolve glaze off of tile. It's not going to happen.

Posted via Topify on Android

Absolutely. Thanks for looking out. Were going to get some primer on that quarter panel tomorrow.

I always keep a gallon of M.E.K. around (not the M.E.K. "substitute" but the real stuff) and I use it for everything. Home Depot won't even carry it. My local Mom & Pop carries it for $25/gal.
But man that stuff will blow your brains out. Can't even leave the rags around. Straight outside!
When I use it I don't have to wait for Happy Hour...

Jeez......you ought to see my (lack of) body work/paint skills! LOL!

I always keep a gallon of M.E.K. around (not the M.E.K. "substitute" but the real stuff) and I use it for everything. Home Depot won't even carry it. My local Mom & Pop carries it for $25/gal.
But man that stuff will blow your brains out. Can't even leave the rags around. Straight outside!
When I use it I don't have to wait for Happy Hour...
You are right that stuff is some strong ****. It will desolve most anything. Super, super flammable.

so right about the out side part but we pay about $ 48.00 for 5 gal thats contractor price

When cleaning a gun I use lacquer thinner like many others I know. Far safer than MEK. I always buy mine at Kelly Moore as they sell a gallon for $13.99 out here and then get an extra 30% off since I buy a lot of paint for the HORNET.

Back