Painting rims

I've used rustoleum (gloss black) to paint the inside of aluminum rims after I took a wire wheel to it and wiped it down with laquer thinner. Seemed to work well. No runs, no drips, no errors. :)

To get a uniform surface (no brush strokes) I would think you would have to either thin it with solvent or mix in a paint conditioner like Penetrol.

I was satisfied on how the rustoleum flowed and created an even, flat surface. No brush strokes. I did it in the garage. Maybe don't do it in bright sunlight with the rim being heated by the sun until after you've applied all the paint.

(correction, it was tremclad, not rustoleum)

Last edited:
Oil/Alkyds always lay out nicely in the correct temperature range. And runs can be corrected before they dry.

Benjamin-Moore "super spec" alkyd urethane is a step up, and you can get this color matched.

POR-15 also lays out really nice as a base coat.

Like sprays, you'll need primer and a couple top coats with sanding in between to make it really nice.

EDIT: use an oil / alkyd primer on ferrous metal only. Aluminum or zinc require special primer.

Last edited:
I have to make a correction. It wasn't rustoleum, it was Tremclad. I had a look at the can today, it is Tremclad "rust paint". I bought a similar Tremclad can, silver or aluminum, for when I paint the inside of my 18" 300m rims. I think they're oil based.

I have to make a correction. It wasn't rustoleum, it was Tremclad. I had a look at the can today, it is Tremclad "rust paint". I bought a similar Tremclad can, silver or aluminum, for when I paint the inside of my 18" 300m rims. I think they're oil based.
Tremclad is a Rustoleum brand. Sold as Tremclad in Canada and Rustoleum in the US.

Oil/Alkyds always lay out nicely in the correct temperature range. And runs can be corrected before they dry.

Benjamin-Moore "super spec" alkyd urethane is a step up, and you can get this color matched.

POR-15 also lays out really nice as a base coat.

Like sprays, you'll need primer and a couple top coats with sanding in between to make it really nice.

EDIT: use an oil / alkyd primer on ferrous metal only. Aluminum or zinc require special primer.
Benjamin Moore super spec is good paint, we use it a lot on metal doors and frames, it almost looks like it's been sprayed
Use a good brush, maybe a Purdy 2 inch sash brush, if you have a Sherwin Williams distributer near you he (or she) can help you pick out the right brush, you won't get a good job with a $2 Big Lots brush
And defiantly clean, dry, grease free, and paint in the shade, and let bake in the sun to dry

Benjamin Moore super spec is good paint, we use it a lot on metal doors and frames, it almost looks like it's been sprayed
Use a good brush, maybe a Purdy 2 inch sash brush, if you have a Sherwin Williams distributer near you he (or she) can help you pick out the right brush, you won't get a good job with a $2 Big Lots brush
And defiantly clean, dry, grease free, and paint in the shade, and let bake in the sun to dry

Good call on the brush. Black China bristle is what I had best results with.

What are the pitfalls of just using a rattle can and then a nice clear coat, Dupli Color have sets to change chrome rims to let's say copper/ chrome and then clear coat.

For brush painting, a quality brush of the correct type to match the paint makes a HUGE difference.

edit - As others have already mentioned. I'm just agreeing whole-heartedly.

Last edited:
Back