Painting Road Wheels

There are different widths available to suit your needs, I used a 9 millimeter band, should have gone with a little more narrow one for these rims of mine.

When I restored the SSI (Magnum 400 style) wheels on my Olds a couple of years ago I used Stan's method of masking, outlining and trimming using regular masking tape (and I figured that out all by myself since I didn't know Stan at that time!). Worked fine, didn't take too long.

When I restored the SSI (Magnum 400 style) wheels on my Olds a couple of years ago I used Stan's method of masking, outlining and trimming using regular masking tape (and I figured that out all by myself since I didn't know Stan at that time!). Worked fine, didn't take too long.

Good job! :thumbsup:

The tape can be had at all of the stores including Sears..........if you order it. I'm going to try a local (commercial) parts store by the name of Kunkel's. If they don't have it, I was thinking about a roll of 1/8" pinstripping that they have at AAP and AZ.

When I painted my road wheels I used electrical tape to do the edging. Same principle as the blue Scotch, but 1/2" wide.

I just made sure the edge was stuck down well and had a nice crisp line. The key is a tape that is not too thick and very pliable. Some of the cheaper electrical tapes are far too stiff. I am an electrician by trade and I used what was handy.

Interesting. No bleeding?

(Sent using Forum Runner)
The trick to avoid bleeding and get a good clean line is to put a couple of REAL light coats on over the tape line. Then let it dry for about 10 minutes before putting your full wet coats on. This will bridge the tape and surface and eliminate bleeding. Using regular masking tape this way will give you the same results as using more expensive fine line tape.

The trick to avoid bleeding and get a good clean line is to put a couple of REAL light coats on over the tape line. Then let it dry for about 10 minutes before putting your full wet coats on. This will bridge the tape and surface and eliminate bleeding. Using regular masking tape this way will give you the same results as using more expensive fine line tape.

Excellent idea, 100% agree.

I would say ''Flat'' black behind the rings and on the back side. Seems to me they would want you to see the shiny stuff, just the same as ''Blacking out'' the core support on earlier cars to hide the body color through the grill.

Some great tips here. Thanks.

Here is a place that has argent paint, (and any other specialty paint), that is suppost to be exact matches to what Mopar used for things like wheels, grilles, engine paint etc. I've been using their stuff for years, great products.

http://www.totallyautoinc.com/

Back