For Sale Parting Out 65 New Yorker Town Sedan

I've been racking my brain trying to think of something I might need from this car. @azblackhemi any chance you know the part number on the headlight switch and it's working condition?

What would it take to install that?

The headlight switch is good but I can't find a part number on it. I have another just like it also no part number.
PXL_20210727_144244955.jpg
PXL_20210727_144251485.jpg
PXL_20210727_144258330.jpg

So, do you think that little metal piece that holds the switch is supposed to be there behind the liner, perhaps as some sort of support for finger pressing?

Or did the previous owner put that little piece in to hold the switch perhaps because the glove box liner was trashed? I've never seen that little metal support before - usually a hole is just made in the glove box material and the switch and the bezel ring provide enough support.

So, do you think that little metal piece that holds the switch is supposed to be there behind the liner, perhaps as some sort of support for finger pressing?

Or did the previous owner put that little piece in to hold the switch perhaps because the glove box liner was trashed? I've never seen that little metal support before - usually a hole is just made in the glove box material and the switch and the bezel ring provide enough support.
Yes I do because I've had a couple of others just like that. They even had the straight blade screw that this one has.

In what condition is the rubber of the steering coupler?
I am interested if it's good and you ship to Germany ...

In what condition is the rubber of the steering coupler?
I am interested if it's good and you ship to Germany ...

Not to take money off Chris' table, but if that rubber coupler is old or close to original, I would NOT use it. There are new ones available (they show up on eBay periodically, and are stupidly expensive), but the good news is that there's a Range Rover coupler upgrade that is the cheapest and safest alternative retrofit on the planet.

Regardless, I would trust Chris if he inspects the coupler and deems it fit for use.

For your info though, here's some posts about the Range Rover steering coupler from other posts here on the site:

@Ross Wooldridge said:
Steering Flex Coupling For Range Rover Classic (See Fitment Years) (Part #NTC3486) - Land Rover bolts, clamps, nuts & hardware from Atlantic British
Minor mods required as it's a tad too thick, but it's an excellent affordable alternative that is designed for automotive duty.

@Trace 300 Hurst said:
The Rover coupling is 1 5/16ths thick, while the OEM unit is 1 inch. I took Rover to a machine shop that milled the excess thickness off of one side. Then I drilled the recesses in the holes for the Allen bolt heads.

HOWEVER, I now think the 5/16 doesn't need to be milled off because there is enough travel in the pot (lower) coupling to accommodate the extra thickness. YMMV depending on your car, of course.
img_1730-jpg.jpg
img_1731-jpg.jpg
img_1726-jpg.jpg
img_1728-jpg.jpg
img_1731-jpg.jpg

:eek:
img_0929-jpg.jpg

I agree with Ross. I do have a couple that look good but they are 50 year old rubber so new would be a safer way to go.
Not to take money off Chris' table, but if that rubber coupler is old or close to original, I would NOT use it. There are new ones available (they show up on eBay periodically, and are stupidly expensive), but the good news is that there's a Range Rover coupler upgrade that is the cheapest and safest alternative retrofit on the planet.

Regardless, I would trust Chris if he inspects the coupler and deems it fit for use.

For your info though, here's some posts about the Range Rover steering coupler from other posts here on the site:

@Ross Wooldridge said:
Steering Flex Coupling For Range Rover Classic (See Fitment Years) (Part #NTC3486) - Land Rover bolts, clamps, nuts & hardware from Atlantic British
Minor mods required as it's a tad too thick, but it's an excellent affordable alternative that is designed for automotive duty.

@Trace 300 Hurst said:
The Rover coupling is 1 5/16ths thick, while the OEM unit is 1 inch. I took Rover to a machine shop that milled the excess thickness off of one side. Then I drilled the recesses in the holes for the Allen bolt heads.

HOWEVER, I now think the 5/16 doesn't need to be milled off because there is enough travel in the pot (lower) coupling to accommodate the extra thickness. YMMV depending on your car, of course.
View attachment 477645 View attachment 477646 View attachment 477647 View attachment 477648 View attachment 477649
:eek:
View attachment 477650

Lots of good things left. Running 413 with working transmission. Good bumpers, grille, headlight covers, trim pieces and other miscellaneous stuff. Let me know what you need.
View attachment 477275View attachment 477277View attachment 477278View attachment 477280View attachment 477281View attachment 477282View attachment 477283

Hey Chris: What kinda shape is the brake booster in? Is it any good or is it just a core? I may need one for my '66 300 convertible.

Thank you for your help Ross and Chris.

The steering coupler that is now in my car is still okay, in my opinion.

I already had two of the Range Rover parts, but unfortunately no machine shop is able to shorten them (both destroyed).
Thanks for the info that I can build it in without editing them, I've never tried.

The headlight switch is good but I can't find a part number on it. I have another just like it also no part number.

I'll dig out my original in a day or two and try to compare with the pictures. For some reason mine was/is an odd ball that I never could find an exact match for. The switch that I have now plugs up and works the exterior lights but not the interior. I'll get back to you when I have my original one in hand.

Hey Chris: What kinda shape is the brake booster in? Is it any good or is it just a core? I may need one for my '66 300 convertible.
I would consider it a core. Any wear items on this car I would consider a core. It might work fine now but for how long?

By the way - a couple of parts to consider "stockpiling" Chris -

For those with 65-66 C bodies with factory AC, the heater hose bracket that bolts to the alternator is a unique item. All the reproduction ones have major differences. The factory one has an extra long "bed" that holds the hoses, and later years and the repro ones do not. See the pictures below (one from @rexus31 's beautiful 65 Chrysler 300 rag, and the other from my Canadian 440 engine).

The other part worthwhile saving is the gas pedal pivot that pokes through the firewall - it is Auto Pilot specific, and is hard to find.

ALTERNATOR MOUNT.jpg

20190424_183351.jpg

PIC 3.JPG

Last edited:
That looks very terrible. It reminds me to drive carefully because these cars had no protection zone at all!

I tend to believe it was either airborne at some serious speed/height or flattened after the fact by machine. They did test for rollovers back then, these aren't just random accident photos... others in the series show the Proving Grounds,weight sleds, etc. Photos from top-secret location...

1187038600.jpg

1187038598.jpg

1187038603.jpg

I tend to believe it was either airborne at some serious speed/height or flattened after the fact by machine. They did test for rollovers back then, these aren't just random accident photos... others in the series show the Proving Grounds,weight sleds, etc. Photos from top-secret location...

View attachment 477674

View attachment 477675

View attachment 477676

Yeah, I know they used to do crash tests back in the days. But when I see how thin my A-pillar is and I realize that I don't have a B-pillar, I don't want to roll over with my old cars. I don't want to bump anything with the front either, because I know that my steering column is only one piece and would pierce me at higher speeds.

Yeah, I know they used to do crash tests back in the days. But when I see how thin my A-pillar is and I realize that I don't have a B-pillar, I don't want to roll over with my old cars. I don't want to bump anything with the front either, because I know that my steering column is only one piece and would pierce me at higher speeds.

Prior to the use of collapsing columns (67) steering wheels were designed with a good amount of "dish" to take up some of that energy before you'd meet the actual shaft.

You should be good to hit another car up to about 60, or a wall at 30+ before the column comes to get you. Not that I'm advising you try.

1187038607.jpg

Back