Passenger Window Issue

SPF Required

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Starting a new thread here for my window issue:

Try removing the inner door panel. You will probably find the window tracks filled with conifer needles, algae, sand, dirt etc. Work the glass up and down carefully once the debris are cleared. Often this will get the power window working again. One you get movement, spray the tracks with silicone lubricant and test the assembly. The gears in these drive units sometimes strip out, but the little motors themselves usually do not fail.

Dave

Got the door panel off and I have to admit everything looks pretty clean on the inside:

Window 1.JPG

Looking down from the top. Window bracket with regulator track towards the bottom of the glass. All clear and track well greased.
Window 2 - top down.JPG

Looking inside towards the regulator gear and motor.
Window 3 - Inside.JPG

When I go to use the window switches, both the driver side master and the passenger switch, I can hear the faintest little click like the motor is trying to engage, but nothing. The window is stuck in the up position and won't budge. Is there any way to release the gear to try and slide the window up and down y hand?

I fear I might have to try and disassemble the entire mechanism but have no idea how I am going to get this thing out of the door (or more importantly how to get it back in. I have the FSM, but I am drawing blanks on how to further diagnose this issue... Can a brother get some help on this one? Please...

I might be wrong, but I suspect the gears you perceive you're hearing "trying to engage" are fully engaged as a matter of course. Unless there's a small circuit breaker in the motor that's clicking? But I don't recall there being one on each motor/regulator. Probably should be one that protects the whole power window feed circuit, possibly?

There's a way to get the whole window/regulator assy out in one piece, but it is not easy. THEN, as I recall, you have to have a strong bench vise to put the regulator in to keep the spring from "working"? That spring is much stronger than it looks! Might be a gauge hole in the regulator sections to put a screw through to lock them together so they can't move?

I just remember that the service techs at the local dealership felt anything to do with those power windows was dangerous and had to be done carefully. On the other hand, it all had to be pretty easy to do for the guys on the factory assembly line to do quickly. Difference between "at the plant" and "in the field".

Keep us posted,
CBODY67

So I decided to go for it. Unbolted the regulator assemble which allowed me to lower the window and access the lift bracket attached to the glass. Got the regulator arm out of the lift bracket and through a variety of hand yoga positions got the regulator assembly out of the door. Plugged it back into the switch and viola! It worked.... but moved verrrrryyyy slloooowwwly. But it worked!!!

A couple of times back and forth and it started to move a little better, just a little. I am thinking the assembly needs a good lube job.

Back to the FSM but can’t seem to find how best to grease this thing up. Any and all advice is welcomed.

Thank you...

Last edited:
so I gave the assembly a good look over and then I saw it... a rusted up window lift spring! Gave it a little soaking in some penetrating oil, a few minutes later one perfectly good working window lift assembly. An additional application of some Teflon lubricant and back in the door she goes. Reattached to the window lift bracket and down and up the window goes. Woooo hooo! Happy day!

Back