Performance tires? ET Street SS?

Knebel

Reaction score
Has anyone driven the Mickey thompson ET street SS tires on the road? I am looking to get something better than the BFG Radial TA...at least for the rear. I dont drive the car much and very limited in the rain... I currently have the BFG in 245/60r15 that are almost 10 years old and pretty much done. I felt like they lost grip relatively quickly after a year or two and became pretty slippery on wet roads..

Im debating about getting new rims or keeping my old rusty cop rims.

No answers here but have heard great stuff about the MT drag radials if these are the ones you speak of. There are youtube reviews on many different drag radials. If I remember correctly the MT's were the best and the Nitto drag radials many liked because they lasted longer on the street and also did well for the drag launches but not as good as the MT's. Looking forward to what you learn and then use.

This will get you started. I think the Nitto tires were cheaper too. Have fun!

Might aim for Z speed rated tires. We found some BFG radials (with the help of the then-BFG Team T/A" group, in the correct physical diameter for a friend's '70 Swinger 340 and it surprised lots of people. Actually, they were autocross tires. They hooked-up well with NO giant smokey burnouts, just a few dry chirps. Everybody thought the tires were slicks from the way they sounded at the starting line. Had the correct durometer measurements to work in the street-class of the early Muscle car Shootouts back in the late 1980s. This pre-dated the later BFG Drag Radials.

In their original times, the M/T SS tires were very good for what they were, but modern tech has tended to make them "antiques", with all due respect. Rubber compounding has increased ultra-markedly since those tires were "the thing". FWIW

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I think he is talking about the Sportsman Street Radials that Mickey Thompson makes. I never had a set. I had the old Indy Profile tires in the seventies and eighties which I liked. Maybe someone that is running them will chime in.

Back