Pertronix - if I can do this, so can you!

I did the same thing on my 1966 383 newport. Igniter 2 i installed, it's supposed to adjust dwell etc . It does say to bypass the ballast resister, does this cause a problem? My car fired right up after a 25 year slumber and running good ever since. I happy with it.
There is conflicting factory info on them. Some instructions say jump it some say leave it. I have always jumped them.

Not a 57, I own a 1958 300D. Just remove the distributor to do it. You have to set the timing when you are done anyway,

I like to remove the distributor on any engine to set points. You can turn it by hand to get it on the top of the cam, a pain in the butt by cranking the starter.

As much crying as I hear about points you could have had them done by now. LOL

I did the same thing on my 1966 383 newport. Igniter 2 i installed, it's supposed to adjust dwell etc . It does say to bypass the ballast resister, does this cause a problem? My car fired right up after a 25 year slumber and running good ever since. I happy with it.
The instructions that come with the modules are clear: Ignitor-1 keep the ballast. Ignitor-2 they recommend removing the ballast, though it will still work if you do retain the ballast. In either case, power for the Ignitor module itself should be connected directly to key-on power, not through the ballast.

I installed Igniter III and recommended coil in my Fury with 318. Could not get it to work well. Pertronics replaced the module and coil, but it was no better. I reinstalled the original points system and have no plans to change!
Not "trashing" the Pertronics company, just relating my experience.

I installed Igniter III and recommended coil in my Fury with 318. Could not get it to work well. Pertronics replaced the module and coil, but it was no better. I reinstalled the original points system and have no plans to change!
Not "trashing" the Pertronics company, just relating my experience.
Same here.

I made the switch to Pertronix many years ago, shortly after getting my car. I wanted it to be a driver with as much dependability as possible, so an electronic ignition was part of that plan. Pertronix was a simple and cost-effective solution that retains a stock appearance so that is the direction I went. Over the last 14 years I have driven it about 14,000 miles with the Pertronix ignition unit and it has always performed flawlessly. I am a big fan and would recommend Pertronix to anyone looking for less things to go wrong.

:thumbsup:

Since installing the Pertronix unit a couple of weeks ago in my 1969 Dodge Monaco, I've been satisfied with how the car fires up and idles and have no complaints on that system.

I was not able to have the cars timing checked by someone who knows what they're doing, but I did rotate the distributor ever-so-slightly in the clockwise direction. This did seem to improve the cars running.

For the first time since owning the car, I was able to put my foot into it and let the car almost windout in first gear. A turn in the road prohibited my going further into the RPM band, but I was quite pleased with how smooth the operation of the vehicle was.

In addition to installing the pertronix unit, I decreased by 2 or 3 in size the jets in my 670 Street Avenger Holley.

While recently taking the car out for a test drive the car suffered tama just as I was celebrating my mechanical accomplishments. The car experienced a violent event causing the air to be filled with screeching sounds, steam poured forth from under the hood, and coolant went all over the highway overpass. My celebration was quickly dashed by what turned out to be a wrench I left sitting in the engine compartment making its way into the fan, which in turn bent one of the fan blades.
The bent fan blade ripped into the radiator! A colossal mess developed on the overpass, but I did receive a free tow to the nearby garage.

I've obtained a new radiator, but I'm trying to find a new cooling fan. (Not a clutch fan.) The damaged fan has 7 blades. I assume that any replacement must also have 7 blades?

Thanks!

Back