Pertronix Ignitor I and Flame Thrower coil

GJS

Reaction score
hey all,

I'm getting ready to do my ignition and I'm a little confused as to how to wire my coil. As the title says, I've installed the Igniter I kit and will be using a Flame Thrower coil.

What I'm wondering is that I've been reading a lot on how the coil gets wired in and ballast resistors. I don't remember having to do anything about bypassing the BR in my other cars but have been hearing about doing so now.

I understand the reasons why one would but I'm not getting a clear picture on how to wire it then.

Anyone got anything? I suck at electrical :(

Thanks dudes!

I bypassed my ballast when I hooked mine up. The ignitor, I just went red to + and black to -. The reason I did was the resistance of the coil, 1.5ohm. Their documentation recommends it not be used on point distributors.

"NOTE: REMOVE OR BYPASS EXTERNAL BALLAST RESISTOR OR RESISTANCE
WIRE WHEN INSTALLING THE RECOMENDED FLAME-THROWER COIL."

I bypassed my ballast when I hooked mine up. The ignitor, I just went red to + and black to -. The reason I did was the resistance of the coil, 1.5ohm. Their documentation recommends it not be used on point distributors.

"NOTE: REMOVE OR BYPASS EXTERNAL BALLAST RESISTOR OR RESISTANCE
WIRE WHEN INSTALLING THE RECOMENDED FLAME-THROWER COIL."
Anything special to bypassing it or just wire it out?

go right past it.

make sure you have the reluctor set right inside the dis.
they give you a piece of stock to set it with in the kit.
reluctor = pickup wheel/rotor.

go right past it.

make sure you have the reluctor set right inside the dis.
they give you a piece of stock to set it with in the kit.
reluctor = pickup wheel/rotor.
That part I got! Must've drank the brain cells away that stored the ballast resistor info though. Oh well.

btw,this particular upgrade will make you And the engine a lot happier.
I know. When I got my 68, it was the first upgrade I made. I often think of the mileage and dependability of that motor and regret ripping it out in favor of a big ole 440... still have that friggin thing... but it aint going in my 67!

lol speaking of,im moving atm so my next trip to watertown will be at least a month away.
are you good with that???
your bumper is safe :thumbsup:

Oh yea, we got time. Even if I didn't I could easily drive to you. Thanks man, she really needs new teeth!

One thing I did was used 2 inch long shrink wrap on the screen head that is used to hold down the wire retainer and heated til the screen held. Ran a screw driver down in to the heat shrink then set the screw in the retainer and then the screw hole.

It was the only way I could do it.

One thing I did was used 2 inch long shrink wrap on the screen head that is used to hold down the wire retainer and heated til the screen held. Ran a screw driver down in to the heat shrink then set the screw in the retainer and then the screw hole.

It was the only way I could do it.
This is stupid but for some reason the PO had about 5 ballast resistors in his really bizarre kit of parts... not going to speculate on why just yet but, I'm going to take one and gut it then connect the terminals with wire to make the bypass... that way it looks stock... not that I give a ****, but.

btw,this particular upgrade will make you And the engine a lot happier.

I have been holding out on the Pertronix and still run points.
I was at one time seriously considering installing one.
What would be better with this system? Not a loaded question and I am not a die hard points guy. Mine seems to work ok...but I would like to know what you all see the improvements are.

I have been holding out on the Pertronix and still run points.
I was at one time seriously considering installing one.
What would be better with this system? Not a loaded question and I am not a die hard points guy. Mine seems to work ok...but I would like to know what you all see the improvements are.
I saw it in mileage, starting and durability. There are a lot of arguments against my findings but purely from experience, this is what I found and I've had it on a 318 and a built 440. I drove my 440 ( which was a race built PIG) across Canada pulling a trailer and the only problem I had was a stuck thermostat... which killed a wrist pin.. which sucked.. but I never had a single issue with the ignition in my 440 or my 318.
I mean, I'm open to the arguments esp as my Monaco will not be daily driven but my experience has been really good.

Thank you for that and that seems reasonable.
Does it help with hot starts too? My 440 has that problem.

Mini starter helped me with hot starts. Well that and timing it correctly. The original just couldn't do it. With mini it just doesn't matter, it just spins.

So a mini starter is more powerful than the standard starter and is smaller I guess to accommodate headers on high performance higher compression engines?

Mini starter helped me with hot starts. Well that and timing it correctly. The original just couldn't do it. With mini it just doesn't matter, it just spins.

Back