Photos of Vintage Auto Dealerships, Repair Shops, and Gas Stations

Polara Hood johnnies service 045.JPG

Polara Hood johnnies service 046.JPG

Polara Hood johnnies service 052.JPG

This pic is more about the attendant.

1935, Jesse Owens, working at a gas station to help finance his studies at Ohio State University.

303963037_2214756048698133_7917565080046028956_n.jpg

1949 Fords floating down the Mississippi to Ford dealers.

I had no idea this happened!

299272811_2196458763861195_156284143477809345_n.jpg

Oh how we have "progressed" in a 100 years. (said with disdain irony)
I can't help but think that for 1914, before the electric starter, that was probably as close to a perfect car for someone that didn't drive far and couldn't do all the maintenance a gas car required in 1914.

Around 1915, Henry Ford had plans to build and sell electric cars. 50 to 100 mile range with Edison nickel-iron batteries. Price would have been on par with the gas powered Model T at $500-750. One problem was getting the batteries, but as it turned out, Ford decided against it because a lot of his rural customers still didn't have electricity and couldn't charge their cars.

Think about that for a minute... Henry Ford put the world on wheels with affordable, practical cars. Had he applied those efforts to an electric car, things could have been entirely different... Can't say better or worse, it would just be different.

Now we dont see too many going the other way. 100 year old building BACK in the auto business

Former International Harvester Regional HQ, built 1925, 72K sq. ft., 61 Beacon Street, Boston MA.

Now, turned in to Volvo Dealership, with plenty of room left over for ~50K sq. ft. of office space. It was other things in that century but rarely if ever vacant for long. Whole area is coming back.

Volvo dealer was nearby, bought and renovated it, put the dealership showroom/administration on the first two floors, kept their "old" dealership next door as their service/parts dept., rented out the upper two floors.

ASIDE. 100 years old, built to last 1,000 years with proper maintenance. Red brick, limestone, reinforced concrete, "mushroom" columns, four 1/2 ton elevator system, etc., ... indestructible.

These "fossils" of the auto-related businesses are STILL ALL over urban centers, principally upper midwest/NE --- East from Chicago, Detroit, Buffalo, Cleveland, NYC, to Boston, then North from St. Louis, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, etc., -- just WAITING to be turned into something else or razed to reclaim the land.

Some places with them -- and local economies strong enough - are doing just that in thriving reuse markets.

I know Detroit well ... they are trying, but its tough. Detroit's stock has/had been vacant/vandalized for decades, making the renovation with preservation pricey. Plus, there is are too many non-viable properties AROUND some of these stout, old, early 20th century buildings to constitute a "neighborhood" (urban sprawl).

Boston was NOT immune to urban decline .. they just didnt sink so far. Anybody who knows Boston (Beacon Street), this building is a stone's throw, so to speak, from Fenway Park, MIT, Harvard, and downtown Boston. The people came and never left -- for hundreds of years -- Plymouth Rock is only 40 miles away.

sources: Universal Provides Windows for Historic Renovation, Volvo Village, 61 N Beacon St. History | Boston Volvo Cars | Allston, MA, Historic Boston Building Transformed Into State-of-Art Auto Dealership

circa. 1930's
63a13f716457083f6b4d9ea80a1b653fx.jpg
ENGINE SHUT-DOWN CYLINDER.png
FLW 8A.png

Today - Volvo Village Plus office space
7ef932ebff5d2091ec81b0c8b60dc1b3x.jpg

Arrowstreet_Volvo_015.jpg
1678913906452.png
1678915543754.png
FLW 8A.png

1678914060791.png
1678915062433.png

Last edited:
I'd never heard of this.

In the early 1970s, Ford Motor Company was producing the Maverick, a compact car marketed as an affordable and efficient vehicle. However, the demand for the Maverick was not as high as Ford had anticipated, and they found themselves with a surplus of unsold cars.
To deal with this surplus, Ford decided to store thousands of unsold Mavericks in the Subtropolis caves located in Kansas City, Missouri. Subtropolis is a man-made underground complex of limestone mines, covering over 55 million square feet, and is home to many businesses that use the caves for storage and other purposes.

Ford leased about 25 acres of the cave complex, which was ideal for storing the cars as the caves are naturally climate-controlled with temperatures ranging between 60-70 degrees Fahrenheit year-round. The cars were kept in the caves until they could be sold, which reportedly took several years.
The storage of the Mavericks in the Subtropolis caves became somewhat of a legend in the automotive world, with many car enthusiasts and historians fascinated by the idea of thousands of unsold cars sitting underground for years.

Today, the Subtropolis complex is still in use, and while the Mavericks are no longer stored there, the story of their time underground remains a unique piece of automotive history.
SubTropolis - Wikipedia
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SubTropolis
_nc_ohc=iqnyJExhN2MAX-DsdB_&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-2.jpg

#1015, as an industry "veteran" only surprises me as I didn't know there were limestone caves near/under Kansas City (I'll nerd out on that geological fact in some other thread).

We (the industry, worldwide) have been storing unsold iron wherever we can -- less recently, a LOT the past three decades -- when demand gets really soft.

TANGENT ALERT

source: The Odd Life of Unsold Cars That End Up in Parking Graveyards

That's more the "old days" of "push" (production not matched to demand) supply chains (the plants -- assembly, stamping, glass, tire, steel, etc.) gotta run, we'll figure out later how to move excess inventory if we have to).

Ports, empty lots of ALL kinds near assy plants, and since Ford built Mavericks in KC .. underground limestone caves for all the Mavericks that weren't selling. Underground is great .. no "acid rain", no hailstorms, vandals, etc ruining perfectly good merchandise.

One may/may not be surprised what vast open spaces became "dealerships" -- unlikely for ordinary consumers but more for dealers to come and see the distressed merchandise the supply chain was choking on.

Port of Baltimore
grave7.png

UK
grave1.2.png

Italy (Rome)
grave8.1.png

Port of Baltimore
On the last cruise ship (out of Baltimore) we were on, before we left port, we watched them unloading cars from a large ship and driving them out to a lot. A large passenger van, loaded with drivers, would pull up into the ship and then right back out in a few minutes, followed by a line of new imports. I think they were Nissans. There were a bunch of those vans and it was a pretty steady stream of cars.

Why not get them out of moth balls and on dealer lots today? Sell them as used or something. The local KIA dealer is the only place here that seems to have any new inventory. Unless you want a body in white work truck.

fb_img_1678770029769-jpg-jpg.jpg

I plowed snow with a McCormick Deering 10 20 just like this back in the early 1970's. I was in high school. Our tractor had rear fenders, with a hand crank winch to raise and lower the blade.

Back